Carb dampers

coxy123

Spitfire is missing slightly, mainly when you take foot off of accelerator then on back on again.

Is this to do with dampers on the carbs, if so, how full should they be and with what?

Thanks in advance Coxy

I would think a miss or stutter is more likely, plugs, points, leads etc.

I unknowingly ran my Vitesse which has Su's fitted, with hardly any oil in one dash pot. Ran well, only sympton was a rattle, eventually traced to the front carb.

I had a similar problem with a miss under load recently on my gt6, similarly the car has sat for the last couple of years, occasional start up, new plugs and points few years ago, but no miles. I assumed the plugs had got moisture in them and deteriorated. Removed plugs, surprised to see no's 4 to 6 were sooty, cleaned up and runs fine. Must have been initial start up on choke had Fouled the rear three plugs.

Worth checking you have oil in both dash pots though, for overall performance.

1 hour ago, coxy123 said:

how full should they be and with what?

Manual says engine oil. I put a tea towel around the neck of the carb, fill up the dashpot and push the piston back in catching what oil gets pushed out in the towel. Then hide towel in kitchen. 

Doug

use engine oil fill to  near the top of the inner tube 

the damper should sit in the oil and needs a light push down to engage the threads and lightly nip up the top cap 

so if the damper sits about 1/2 "  proud after a top up  thats about full ok 

its an important little mechanism to act as an enrichment devive for solving flat spots on  acceleration 

any hic ups from off power toon power relies on the damper working as a damper 

therre are cases of latest plugs fouling after choke and they dont recover well 

never use any plugs with an R in the suffix if using std  HT 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Hi Doug   you been making more BEER  ????

Funny you should say that, I've got rid of my bottles, I thought with my pension I can afford to buy beer! But now they're talking about doing away with the triple lock. On top of that THIS has been the situation in Waitrose beer isle since last Monday.

I think I made a mistake :wub:

IMG_4167.thumb.JPG.2f053ca9795b7aeec89b0e6d7d8427c6.JPG

Doug

23 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Mmmmmmm... Moretti....

Looks like our shelves over here, we have the EU, shortage of lorry drivers, shortage of shop staff and the warm weather all competing to keep the shelves empty. Not something we can't overcome, tho. :)

Hmmm?, An old Calorifier and a lot of Copper pipe, plus some Potatoes?.

Pete

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

On top of that THIS has been the situation in Waitrose beer isle since last Monday.

And I'm debating which of the two local artisan breweries to go to to stock up. One is very close, in the direction I go regularly to shop, so is convenient. The other further away, maybe 30 minutes instead of 15, but is a pleasant drive in the Triumph.

Life is so hard and full of complex decisions 

Yes got a reprieve due to Covid!! No more sitting in wards watching television with the sound turned off.

Celebrated by going out last night and indulging in Mourne Mist, my fav beverage of the moment. I reckon a few bottles of their stout would have me darlin mother up and dancing again.

111-year-old-woman-beer.jpg.0c4761a24c231d82024672a513e0adea.jpg