Austin Champ.

Anglefire

Weird 4WD arrangement involving two full length prop shafts!. 20Gall Fuel tank (needed!). The Ausies (Army) bought some I think?. The ROLL`s engine was adapted from a pre war design, with alloy head and screwwed in valve seats. Issigonis was involved in the supension design.

Pete

I remember that our Cadet Force had a Champ.    Multi-fuel, I think, anything from high octan to paraffin.    Yes same number of gears in forward or reverse, because it had a separate reversing gearbox. 

I recall being driven at high speed in reverse down some runway!

9 hours ago, JohnD said:

I remember that our Cadet Force had a Champ.    Multi-fuel, I think, anything from high octan to paraffin.    Yes same number of gears in forward or reverse, because it had a separate reversing gearbox. 

I recall being driven at high speed in reverse down some runway!

Wonder if that was designed for the Italian army?

4 hours ago, JohnD said:

Oh!

Do we have drag out those 80 year old tropes?  

John

No don’t have to. But it’s a bit of fun. 
I know a frenchman and we are always taking the piss out of each other and the attitude of our respective countries to each other. All done in fun and not taken seriously.

2 hours ago, Anglefire said:

No don’t have to. But it’s a bit of fun. 
I know a frenchman and we are always taking the piss out of each other and the attitude of our respective countries to each other. All done in fun and not taken seriously.

There was a period when I first arrived here in France when I worked in the timber business and on more than one occasion when it came to burning the off cuts in the forest it was a case of get Christopher to do it the English are good with fires, they burnt Janne d'Arc

Despite being an Ulsterman I still get all of the Irish jokes and comments bounced my way...  :)

And to illustrate the local sense of humour we had our own attempt at making a 4x4 military type thingie; Rex McCandless from Co. Down came up with a chain-driven motorcycle-engined four seater but when his business partner - Harry Ferguson - had a disagreement with him it was shelved. Interesting design but not quite sure just how practical it really was... there's footage of it driving a little bit into the video at the bottom.

Note the Triumph connection in the form of the oil drip tray under it... :)

1186641904_ScreenShot2021-07-25at18_14_34.png.3a52cd51dba088198649ce26b92a1e0a.png  1393129282_ScreenShot2021-07-25at18_14_24.png.02c0cc5e97b9ae1debd395ecc9cd710d.png

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

There was a period when I first arrived here in France when I worked in the timber business and on more than one occasion when it came to burning the off cuts in the forest it was a case of get Christopher to do it the English are good with fires, they burnt Janne d'Arc

No chance of Macaroon being next?. 😂👍

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

No chance of Macaroon being next?. 😂👍

The problem is the replacement could be worse. He is a safe distance away from me at present in the Isles Marquises.

He keeps an eye on me though, his milk tanker goes past the house every day.

images.jpeg.992742abbf63c11e844d12cc590e14a5.jpeg

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Patrick Taylor said:

My brother's friend had one in the late '70's. Had to be started on petrol but once running, yes, would run on paraffin...

Like many a 50`s Tractor then? The guy who does all my MOT`s has a Champ. Took it to the local "bring what you run" night, He confirmed they can be used on TVO. And It`s capable of running all 4 ratio`s in reverse.

Pete

12 hours ago, PeteH said:

And It`s capable of running all 4 ratio`s in reverse.

A bit like the Bond Minicars, then: in order to get reverse gear using a 2-stroke motorcycle engine and gearbox, Bond fitted a neat modification to the points, so the engine fired after TDC. Reversing polarity to the starter motor meant it was cranked over backwards and, because of the way 2-strokes work, the engine ran 'backwards'. This technically allowed the driver to select all three(?) gears when going backwards -although quite why you would want to drive a 3-wheeler backwards (with rear wheel steering!) at 50+mph defies rational explanation.