Prop shaft problem

Paul Amey

Can anyone offer any advice please. I have fitted a non overdrive gearbox into a Mk1 Vitesse which previously had an overdrive gearbox in it (which looked like it was from a Dolomite). So, I have changed the rear mounting for the gearbox and fitted new (supplied from Rimmers) rear mounting bushes.

Today I fitted the non overdrive prop shaft and it is fowling on the tunnel. I am suspecting the rubber mountings are too tall and raising the back of the gearbox too high.  Am I correct it this assumption? As you can guess the original rubber bushes for the rear mounting can't be found and must have been binned.

Paul.

Thanks Pete,

I didn't take any photo's and it wouldn't show you much anyway. Do you know where I can get "cotton reel "mountings from other than Rimmers ? Yes I changed the rear support, it came with the gearbox and prop shaft. I've just had another look at it, having found the original "cotton bobbin mounts". I am now suspecting that someone has previously done a welding repair on the chassis in that area and used thick metal. I'm wondering if I can elongate the slot that the mounting rubber sits in, to get the back end of the box lower by a few millimetres.

Paul.