Inertia seat belts Vitesse convertible

philip.rastrick

1 hour ago, philip.rastrick said:

Thank you for the advice I will buy the ones in the club shop.

chesterfield is doing ok at the moment,we live near Holymoorside so the Peak District is 2 minutes away,going out for drive in the Vitesse tonight and call at a pub 👍👍

I went to the Grammar school there, initially to the old school in town and new one from 5th form

Chris please, if you can remember & if your prepared to, can you provide the locating dimensions of the rear wheel arch mounting hole ie from the inner/outer wheel arch seam and circumferential distance from the front floor pan to the hole.

My convertible conversion uses a very early rear CKD body tub with no safety belt fixtures. 
Regards 

Peter T

10 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

Chris please, if you can remember & if your prepared to, can you provide the locating dimensions of the rear wheel arch mounting hole ie from the inner/outer wheel arch seam and circumferential distance from the front floor pan to the hole.

My convertible conversion uses a very early rear CKD body tub with no safety belt fixtures. 
Regards 

Peter T

I am prepared to, just need to be able to get the time opportunity to take measurements

• 3 weeks later...

Just converted mine back to static belts as got fed up with the inertia belts not pulling out every time (or at all on the passenger side). Probably caused by the mountings not being in the right plane.

Tried the club's static belts but they were too short so ended up having a pair made up by Quickfit, with the old (airline seat style) buckles. Very pleased with them, but not everyone will like them and they are a bit fiddly. Look nice though!

Yes, as Peter says. I found I had to pre-set the pendulum before fitting as the adjuster was not accessible when fitted. That was a bit of a fiddle but oh so worth while.  

It is so much more convenient just to pull the belt over and clip in. So much free movement to reach anything, as long as you do it slowly. 

Statics are a nightmare and if you leave them so slack as to be able to reach controls, i believe they will cause injury if you impact anything!

I've never found any problem with statics, properly adjusted, on a Herald, Vitesse Toledo or early Spitfire.  They are a nuisance on a Mk3 GT6 (or equivalent Spitfire) because the ignition switch is in a really stupid place on them, but the inertia reels I have on the GT6 suffer the latch up and pull-in problems Pete describes, so they're actually worse.