J Type overdrive, hydraulics

Hi. I did this job about 8 years ago and can't remember what was where (I think there was some miss info on positioning then on either, Buckeye, Parts list, and WM then and still is).

I think I've established the canister filter is on the offside, though not sure if the Pressure Relief Valve is in the center (Pump on the nearside), or the tother way around. I have a memory that the PRV was central when I did it before?.

Cheers, Dave 

• Like 1

When under the car looking to the front of the car.

Under the od sump (j-type)

Left big plug : pressure filter

Middle : oil pump

Right : presure relief valve

If you need decent pics out of a volvo (yes these used a j-type to !) 

Give a shout ;)

Thanks Wimpus.

Hoping it is just a Solonoid issue as I have, as have stripped it down and it's not clacking in the bottom area when I shake it, like it's supposed to. Have put brake cleaner down there and no joy. Maybe try carb cleaner or cellulose thinners?.

I'm not sure what this part is as such?, can it be encouraged to free up, by poking something down the body?.

Also freed this part up when had OD problems about 8 years ago and car used regularly since. wonder why it's stuck again?. Anything to put down there that would really clean it and maybe make it last longer?.

Cheers, Dave  

Thanks. It's stripped down (the same as the last time I did this job and, was cleaned and all 5 O rings repaced ) as in the above photo. The thingy in the bottom has freed up now and rattling when Solonid is shaken.

Just wondering why it got stuck again, relatively soonish (car has been used all year around and oil was changed about 8 years/15000 miles ago and oil still pretty clean, will change it anyway) and any info in what to soak it in, to make sure the bottom thing is really cleaned out would be good.

Cheers, Dave 

Edited by daverclasper

On J type only   the solenoid gets this small piston to shuttle back and forth this distributes gear oil to pressurise the pistons that operate the cone clutch

if the shuttle is stiff it makes the O D have a mind of its own engaging and disengaging at will not under your control of the switch 

obviously the small 0 rings must seal and as you found if it doesnt rattle when shaken its going to be problematic 

Maracus  comes to mind iGadgitz Xtra U7130 Pair of Adult Full Size Painted Elm Wood Maracas - Wood Colour, Green, Red and Black Motifas a quick appraisal test 

Pete

Cheers Pete. Any lube in the bottom for the shuttle and also the other moving parts? Oil may dry out quickly with the heat anyway and hamper movement?.

Maybe, I am over thinking this?

I will replace all the orings

Edited by daverclasper

1 hour ago, daverclasper said:

Hi. It's started to, not disengage, intermittently. So maybe holding pressure even when off?.

Gummed up, probably, like the one I cleaned a few months back. The electronics of the solenoid will exert enough pull to move the plunger in one direction but the dirt will prevent it moving out again just as easily. This one would not rattle at all so was cleaned out with petrol, o-rings replaced and refitted with gearbox oil as lubrication. It rattled from the start and has worked well ever since.

75A261A7-50EA-4A40-BC0F-3D62EB879CE8_1_105_c.jpg.8135977305f5031d9f3fb53832b0925d.jpg

Many thanks folks.

Something Dave Twigger (OD Spares) advised that I'd not heard of before and may be useful for folk in the future with my symptom.

There is a narrow drilling/passage way between the side of the plug threads of the pressure relief valve and the solonoid area. This can block up with small dirt particles and need a rodding through.

Hoping mines just the solonoid, as won't have time to check this out at the mo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daverclasper said:

Many thanks folks.

Something Dave Twigger (OD Spares) advised that I'd not heard of before and may be useful for folk in the future with my symptom.

There is a narrow drilling/passage way between the side of the plug threads of the pressure relief valve and the solonoid area. This can block up with small dirt particles and need a rodding through.

Hoping mines just the solonoid, as won't have time to check this out at the mo.

Yes that could be it to.

You can blow that passage (and all the others) out when removing the oil, oil relief valve etc.

Hope its a simple fix for you !

• 2 weeks later...