Spit Engine and Gear box question?

PeteH

Hi

Seen a sale for a Spit 1500, engine, (twin SU`s) and I think the gearbox come with it?. (pm`d the seller to see). £250 is the "asking".

1). Is this a decent price?, the seller say`s it was running when removed "some" years back and does turn over?.

2) Is it a Swap for the 13/60?.

3) If it needed can the 1300 Head be transplanted?. I know my existing  engine head was a club shop conversion at about 80K miles.

I am considering the possibilty of swapping it, after a strip and rebuild, as a hedge aginst the unknown condition of my allegedy 100K mile plus 1300. motor?.

Pete

8 minutes ago, PeteH said:

3) If it needed can the 1300 Head be transplanted?. I know my existing  engine head was a club shop conversion at about 80K miles

Hello Pete

It would raise the compression ratio a bit unless you open up the chambers a bit.

Roger

• Like 1

stud pattern is the same but a 1300 head would give a higher compression ratio and you would probably need the 1300 pushrods. I think that the prop would need shortening as certainly on the spits the gearbox is longer and the front flange swopping as the 1500 is bigger, though you could use the existing gearbox by changing the flywheel and clutch over, mounting holes in the flywheel need drilling out. 

Intersting?. None of the foregoing would appear to present insurmountable issues. As for it being a O/D `box. I have yet to find out. I P-M`d the seller for further detail, and await a reply.

I would be doing a full strip rebuild anyway, and replacing/renewing what was required.

It is something I have been thinking about for some time now, as the existing engine as far as I know has done over 100K miles, with no records of a rebuild and at least one "low" compression, despite the head upgrade.

IF, I go this route, I will look at building any neccessary wiring etc into the shell before refitting all the interior, and possibly relocate the Battery to the boot, to release the space to fit a Servo anyway.

Pete

8 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Intersting?. None of the foregoing would appear to present insurmountable issues. As for it being a O/D `box. I have yet to find out. I P-M`d the seller for further detail, and await a reply.

I would be doing a full strip rebuild anyway, and replacing/renewing what was required.

It is something I have been thinking about for some time now, as the existing engine as far as I know has done over 100K miles, with no records of a rebuild and at least one "low" compression, despite the head upgrade.

IF, I go this route, I will look at building any neccessary wiring etc into the shell before refitting all the interior, and possibly relocate the Battery to the boot, to release the space to fit a Servo anyway.

Pete

It does get a little more complex. With a 1500, you need to alter the gearing. Either change diff to 3.63, or better is keep the 4.1 diff and overdrive. MAkes teh car VERY perky and torquey. 

No overdrive and a 4.1 diff will be miserable on teh motorway, the 1500 is not a happy revver. I have had 1500's in heralds and indeed my Toledo, all with overdrive and 4.1 diff. Suited autosolos etc, but for most people I think a 3.89 diff with overdrive would be the best allround combination.

As to head on the 1500, IF you use the 13/60 head (8.5CR) on a 1500, you will get a CR of 9.8. Use a hotter cam, a 4 branch manifold and you should be getting towards 100bhp. Of course, you really want the larger 1500 sized valves in the herald head to get all that power. But suddenly it is not quite so simple, and the initial outlay for an unknown engine becomes insignificant.

no to be honest it's all pretty simple I ran my MK2 spit, so originally a 1147cc, for many years with a 1500 linked to a mk4 od box. I  found the gearing to be low with the more torquey 1500 but with the od fine or use a spit 1500 3.63 diff. You would also need to recalibrate the speedo as the 1500 box is different

21 minutes ago, DanMi said:

no to be honest it's all pretty simple I ran my MK2 spit, so originally a 1147cc, for many years with a 1500 linked to a mk4 od box. I  found the gearing to be low with the more torquey 1500 but with the od fine or use a spit 1500 3.63 diff. You would also need to recalibrate the speedo as the 1500 box is different

Yes, dropping a 1500 in is simple. 

Clutch just a plate change or drill the 1300 flywheel. 

But to make a 1500 work with the 13/60 head is a faff, possibly worthwhile. However, gearing really is an issue. As I said, either overdrive, or diff, or best both. 

Simple answer is a rebore and some new shells on the current engine. 

agreed Clive the head would be a huge faff to get working well so I wouldn't even start as the cost would be greater than a recon 1500 head! Plus with a second hand engine you have no idea if it is better than the one you have. Plus for £250 you would be a long way toward new shells and a rebore, I would personally if using a unknown used 1500 at least check/replace the shells anyway as not a big job if the engine is out.

Personally I would strip the 1300 and see what it needs, at 100000 it has probably had some work. Plus it keeps the car original (if that matters to you)

I rather suspect the end will depend on the reply I get from the Seller. One of the "likes" would be to fit an O/D box ultimately, but there are other considerations to check first. The head will have to come off the 1300 engine at some point to determine why there is one low compression, for which there are several possibilities. It was/is the potential availabilty of the 1500, that caught my attention. I saw Pete`s Re-located Battery on a previous post, but I was considering it`s move to the boot, as much from shifting some  mass to the rear. Back when we had the Vitesse we had a large bag of sand permanently in the boot!. I do concurr, that either way the Engine is likely to need a re-build though.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys, Lots of food for thought here. It`s only through these types of online brainstorming sessions that eventually some clarity prevails.👍

Pete