Warning - sgs warranty update

Mathew

Hi, just finished spraying my yellow spitfire using a compressor from sgs. The day before yesterday it broke while using some air tools! 

Now i bought it in November 2020 and has not had a very hard life. After an unanswered email i took 3 attempts (hung up on twice !) To resolve getting it fixed, as it has a 2 year warranty.  Not happy as they insist it is sent back to them at my expense and will be liable for repair if deamed wear and tare as its six months old. I was told i was not allowed to take back myself as they were not dealing with the public!

I have contacted trading standards and await there response. 

If thinking about buying from them remember the poor customer service .

19 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Hi, just finished spraying my yellow spitfire using a compressor from sgs. The day before yesterday it broke while using some air tools! 

Now i bought it in November 2020 and has not had a very hard life. After an unanswered email i took 3 attempts (hung up on twice !) To resolve getting it fixed, as it has a 2 year warranty.  Not happy as they insist it is sent back to them at my expense and will be liable for repair if deamed wear and tare as its six months old. I was told i was not allowed to take back myself as they were not dealing with the public!

I have contacted trading standards and await there response. 

If thinking about buying from them remember the poor customer service .

I had similar experience with SGS with a 1 tonne Jack , failed after 13 months . Replacement parts including postage was more than the original price . So purchased from Aldi at a cheaper price with 3 year warranty . I’ve tested Aldi warranty and no issues 

Paul 

8 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I had similar experience with SGS with a 1 tonne Jack , failed after 13 months . Replacement parts including postage was more than the original price . So purchased from Aldi at a cheaper price with 3 year warranty . I’ve tested Aldi warranty and no issues 

Paul 

Thought it best to post a warning before someone else suffers from there poor aftersales. Have heard that Aldi is no quibble. 

sound like they need alesson in the consumer rights act 

at 6months old its not of resonable quality or lasted a reasonable time ..........nothing to do with warranty 

they spit this tripe out 

Huge Range Of Air Compressors With Extended 2 Year Warranty And Free Next Day Delivery. Easy 60 Days Returns And Full Support, Parts & Service Backup From Our UK Centre. 2 Year Extended Warranty. Free Next Day UK Delivery. Parts, Spares & Service.

This type of attitude is indicative of some "junior oik" trying to be clever, happens all the time. Most traders who wish to remain in business KNOW that customer satisfaction is the hardest thing to earn and easiest to lose. Obtaining the name and contact of the CEO, and Mailing Him/Her with detail of the issue is often the quickest way to a result.

Pete

My compressor is a Clarke from MachineMart.  Not had a guarantee claim, but one problem with a cut-out switch after ten years, and with the condensor after fifteen (approx)    Both times, their Customer servcie lne was easy to access and quic to advise, accuarately and qith quick delivery of spares.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Sometimes i will cut my nose to spite my face but not on this occasion. If i had paid by credit card i would have gone through them. Lesson learned. Trading standards are building a file on them and mine is part of the evidence! Meanwhile they told me to get an independent engineer to assess the damage and then pursue through the court! The compressor cost 250 pounds, not a small amount of money, i have not looked into the cost of getting a courier to take it to them and return after any fix. I needed a compressor the day it broke so went and bought a clark industrial one from machine mart. A bit more powerful , on the credit card! And at least i can take it to the shop if i have problems. If i pursue this its going to take time and effort that is more valuable elsewhere. Cost of an independent expert then time at the small claims, i have done this in the past and it was throwing good money after bad, lost 1k that time as the company folded rather than pay me and the others! I think i know the problem so will have a go at fixing myself, it will be cheaper and quicker and i know my google review has cost them far more than if they had used there courier to pick up and fix it!

I am fortunate that i am able to go out and buy something else and old enough to know when to cut my losses.  If this saves anybody from an expensive mistake it has done it's job.

Ps anyone want to buy a hardly used compressor that only gets to 49 psi 🤣😅😜😅🤣👍

• Mathew changed the title to Warning - sgs warranty update
  • 1 month later...

Well my exercise for today after hospital and lunch! Take the head off the compressor and clean off the gasket. Make a new gasket and put back together with some blue gasket seal. Started up and got to pressure, then cut off as it should. I will test again tomorrow but a result. So i now have a spare compressor.