Herald wheel nut thread size?

jagnut66

Hi, 

Just a quick question here, in case I have to recut the thread on the stud which secures my spare wheel in position in the well, what is the thread size of Herald wheel nuts?

Many thanks,

Mike.

Andy  you remember correct 

all small chassis cars are 3/8" x24 unf   wheel studs @   38/ 42lbft MAX

being quite small dia.  is  so easy for a gorilla to strip them  and old tired studs fracture  

hence many move to 7/16unf ( ie big saloons)  or 12mm  landrover/ford etc 

Pete

7 hours ago, jagnut66 said:

That seems a rather low torque for wheel nuts?

Best wishes,

Mike.

Haynes, Quote exactly the same. 38-42lb/ft. The Thread is 3/8UNF. BTW. I ran a Tap through some yesterday. Checked a couple of Supplier sites, the max recomended is no more than 48Lb/ft, for a Grade 5 Bolt/Nut. Like yourself, when I first saw it I thought it was a low figure.

Pete

Fair enough, I would have needed to know this soon anyway, for when I take my wheels off to change the tyres, so it's good (if a little surprising) to know.

Best wishes,

Mike.

10 hours ago, jagnut66 said:

That seems a rather low torque for wheel nuts?

thats exactly why so many get stripped or shear off completely  

and why many upgrade to 7/16unf or 12mm studs   you wont shear them 

bear in mind the std torque for a 3/8unf bolt is around 31lbft  so you are already  on higher grade steel studs and nuts for the 38/42 

but any done to a more average 60 will end up on the floor or you loosing a wheel  ...not a good experience 

these design torques are there for a very good reason 

Pete

i would think alloy may deform if there any fretting going on as its softer?  than a steel wheel 

most with allloys up the stud size so that would allow a  higher torque but the stud thread form and nut are the limiting factor 

as most alloy's have a thicker nave  so  need  a longer stud so they up to the 7/16" or M12  studs then 65lbft   is more normal 

Pete