Rotary polishing machines. + G3

Jeffds1360

I just bought my first one ever as the paintwork is not brilliant and has been subject to the POs attempts and now mine which are not too brilliant.

Even bought some sanding discs, 800, 1200 & 2000 plus some G3.

All was looking good. I was working on the boot lid which I had rattle can resprayed via Paints4us cans. Very dark but I suppose the rest has faded :(

Got a very fair finish with the 2000 and moved on to the G3. I dampened the foam as recommended, spotted some  paste on, gave it a quick flick to remove excess fluids and set to.

Woops ..... I'd only spun up to about 800rpm and when I hit 1000+ the damn fluid sprayed all over my good (the wife says) trousers, over the rear wings, over the hood cover, over the back of the seats and all over the garage wall....., little white spots everywhere ... uuuuurrrrgh.... damn stuff does not wipe off, even with more water! stripped trousers off and gave them a bath soak and left them for Mrs S.

Got some clean rags, soaked and sprayed more water on the spots..... they dried off still leaving white spots  :(

Anyone know what removes the stuff? Not much info on the tin :(

The "white stuff" is a mild abrasive as a very fine powder, suspended in the polish.   That's why you were instructed to 'shake the bottle'!     It's a solid, and not soluble in anything that won't also dissolve your hood, seats and trousers!  Or you!

Only way to remove it is to wash it out, with lots of water and some detergent to suspend the particles in it.    Trousers probably OK in the washing machine - best done alone - but a pressure spray, hose pipe and a soft scrubbing brush best for the rest.

Good luck!

John

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

She ( her indoors) is going to love it when I tell her :(

Don't do that! Rule number 1: Don't tell 'em anything 

Rule number 2: Deny everything

Rule number 3: If you get this far down the list you're stuffed!

• Haha 2

• Jeffds1360 changed the title to Rotary polishing machines. + G3

Hope you've got cleaned up ok!

Bit off topic but just to introduce some caution about using discs for flatting/cutting. Even 2000 grade on a rotary machine can rip through to primer very quickly on crowns and edges (although it's pretty safe on the flat). Everybody has their own way when refinishing but one way is to initially flat by hand with 1200 on a soft block and then work the G3 fast, hard and wet.

G3 (or G6) cut well but don't bring up much of a shine. Again, it's impossible to generalise, but after G3 or 6 it's common to follow up with G10 or 3M Finesse-It for a more reflective finish.

Hope it goes well.

6 minutes ago, chrishawley said:

Hope you've got cleaned up ok!

Bit off topic but just to introduce some caution about using discs for flatting/cutting. Even 2000 grade on a rotary machine can rip through to primer very quickly on crowns and edges

I once tried to use a sponge head on an angle grinder to flatten down the doors on a Mini. Zzzziiipppppp... straight through to bare metal on first touch, right along the entire length of the door.

Cheers boys, I did do the wet grit by hand after finding how aggressive the rotary was on edges and corners. The G3 has brought it up to a decent standard. I still have the odd mini hole but it is so much better now :)

just needs a polish (and the hole in the inner top wing sorted!)

16280684575223044120978368573161.jpg