Annoying noises 😒

Spit running well now so smaller issues are being noticed.

When making a sharp turn, either from rest or at low speed, I'm hearing what I can only describe as a puff noise from the rear suspension area (like a gentle fart lol).

Thought it was only on turning right but noticed it going left as well, just not as loud. I'm struggling to identify what's causing it as I cannot recreate when stationary and can't pin it down when driving.

I'm just wondering, could the swing spring make a noise like this when the bottom leaf moves?

Other candidates I'm considering are bushes or possibly the shocks. Would be interested to know if anyone has experienced similar.

Been trying to investigate this further and various knocks & bumps. Realise I don't understand clearly enough how the swing spring works.

I have attached a clip showing what happens when I lift the "safety spring" and wondered if this clunking

is normal? Also, this spring pivots so when raised one side it lowers on the other. Presume this correct but just wanted to check.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated 👍

un loaded the top of the swinger is pretty free to clatter about , onthe road or with a jack under both uprights to lift the hanging should calm that clatter down to nothing moves 

the top set of leaves are fre to pivot in the box only the bottom leaf is clamped to the diff

Pete

If Cliff is driving round with the piece of chalk how is the other party going to mark anything with it? Just pondering... however: apologies, Cliff - but if you can hear this noise when cornering I'm wondering if it's the shocks settling / moving, especially the cover over the centre piston, and the bushes sliding down over the letam? Try squirting a bit of lubricating fluid up inside the shock cover (make sure it's not going to run out over brakes, if that's possible at all) and see if this helps the shocks slide more quietly.

Another point I've noticed from the video: how close to your brake hose is that spring eye? It looks alarmingly close, maybe it's just the angle?

Many thanks for all responses. I will have to see if my Wife will climb in the boot with the chalk lol.

I disconnected both shocks this morning and they are definitely noisy. Not the noise I described but obviously I couldn't move them in the same way. I am thinking they are most likely the source of this noise though.

I also dug out the outside rubbers between the spring leaves and they were splayed out flat where they contact the lower leaf. Any idea how thick they should be when fitted?

Finally, the brake hose isn't as close as it looks but I'm not completely happy with how either side is routed so will look at that before too long.

I have found other bolts missing plus multiple loose ones and some stripped threads. It all ties in with my view that what started out as a thorough restoration had to be curtailed and the rest was just thrown together.

I have been all round and under the car sorting everything out but will check those fixings again. 

12 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Don't,  it's a peter sellers reference that has gone way over most peoples heads. Mind you if she would do it its true love!

Stick to what you are doing cos even if you don't stop the noise you will be happy that all is as it should be back there.

Keep it up!

Ha ha. No, she definitely doesn't love me that much.

As you suggest, my main concern with unexplained noises is that they may be caused by something that is dangerous or lead to something expensive that could have been avoided.

I'm fairly certain now that it's not s safety issue and if I can't pin point it soon I will add it to the growing list of things to strip down in the winter.

11 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Peace of mind is worth more than than most people think. Don't stress too much about noises as all the open top cars rattle , sqeek and generally make all sorts of noises. 

Yes, I've also got a speed related squeak from the front. Not very loud but once you hear it you can't un-hear it. Even the lightest touch on the brakes makes it go away but then comes back again. I suppose I will have to investigate that as well 😒.

I didn't notice it until I stopped the exhaust blowing so maybe there is a lesson to be learnt there lol

36 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

Yes, I've also got a speed related squeak from the front. Not very loud but once you hear it you can't un-hear it. Even the lightest touch on the brakes makes it go away but then comes back again. I suppose I will have to investigate that as well 😒.

I didn't notice it until I stopped the exhaust blowing so maybe there is a lesson to be learnt there lol

If you have fitted new pads Cliff? Try taking the pads out and putting a slight chamfer around the pad material, that should stop it.

Tony.

51 minutes ago, poppyman said:

If you have fitted new pads Cliff? Try taking the pads out and putting a slight chamfer around the pad material, that should stop it.

Tony.

I did fit new pads back in April when I first got the car but I have only noticed this noise recently. It's definitely worth a try though.

I've just driven about 25 miles down to Duxford and found the lightest touch in the brakes stops it only while they are applied but if I brake hard it takes longer for the noise to return.

Also seem to have developed yet another noise from the rear (I think) when I go over bumps. Sounds like a tambourine being shaken once. God knows what that is as I have tightened everything I could find to tighten 😒

pad cllatter has it had mitex version of pads fitted and the pin holes are much larger than the pins 

does it have anti squeal shims fitted   metal ones not ths nasty plastic pads ???

check there is minimal but has some hub end float ie light nip of the castle nut and back of 1 or 2 flats 

bear in ming the stub has two splitpin holes for fine adjustment 

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

pad cllatter has it had mitex version of pads fitted and the pin holes are much larger than the pins 

does it have anti squeal shims fitted   metal ones not ths nasty plastic pads ???

check there is minimal but has some hub end float ie light nip of the castle nut and back of 1 or 2 flats 

bear in ming the stub has two splitpin holes for fine adjustment 

Standard pads with metal shims. I felt the endfloat was a little excessive so dismantled, greased the bearings (which didn't have much there) and re-assembled slightly tighter. This hasn't made a difference to the squeak occurring but it may be slightly louder. Difficult to be certain. Could this be a bearing issue?

15 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

Could this be a bearing issue?

I'd be inclined to discount the bearings for a squeak; a drone or rumble yes, but a squeak seems more like a single movement - hence suspension or bodywork moving about. Give all of the suspension bushes a squirt with WD40 or the like and see if that helps.

7 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'd be inclined to discount the bearings for a squeak; a drone or rumble yes, but a squeak seems more like a single movement - hence suspension or bodywork moving about. Give all of the suspension bushes a squirt with WD40 or the like and see if that helps.

That's what I thought about the bearings but this noise is continuous and sounds like something turning and changes with road speed. I coasted down a slope in neutral with the engine off and it was still there. As I said earlier, it goes with the slightest touch of the brakes. I think I will try the "pad chamfering" before anything else.

1 hour ago, cliff.b said:

Could this be a bearing issue?

no never 

its pad chatter  not uncommon  and can be a chase me charlie job with little solution 

try some mintex ceratec paste 

Mintex CeraTec Lubricant 75ml | Grease, Lubricants & Sealants

and bend the end springy on the shim to load the pad edge more  and being daft the arrow on the shim should point direction of rotation 

brake-shim-rh-pad-girling-type-12-14-triumph-herald-spitfire-jensen-healey-lotus-europe-151192.jpg?itok=IJQLbi8e

9 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

no never 

its pad chatter  not uncommon  and can be a chase me charlie job with little solution 

try some mintex ceratec paste 

Mintex CeraTec Lubricant 75ml | Grease, Lubricants & Sealants

and bend the end springy on the shim to load the pad edge more  and being daft the arrow on the shim should point direction of rotation 

brake-shim-rh-pad-girling-type-12-14-triumph-herald-spitfire-jensen-healey-lotus-europe-151192.jpg?itok=IJQLbi8e

I used the Mintex paste when I put the new pads in but I can't be certain I fitted the shims correctly. 

Think I had better take them out again and double check everything.

Many thanks.

9 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

while youre in there compare pad hole with pin size  should be sort of close not rattling good clearance 

where did you get the pads from  any makers ref  etc  ??

Pete

I think it was from Rimmer's as a set with a fitting kit. Just generic, I think.

I will check them over when I take them out.