KYK711D - Late 1966 Vitesse 1600/6 - Brake Servo

martyn wright

Hi All!  I have just aquired a Lockheed Servo Complete with pipes etc and the codes on the unit are:  32326560   Lockheed Q609 and on the Silver Alloy Tag 4237 812  I was told that it came off a Vitesse, but enquiring to see if this is the correct one for my car??  Can anyone help Please!

I hope the boost ratio is only 1.65:1 or at the most 1.9 as more on a light car will probably be too much so you lose controllability and risk locking up wheels (without ABS). Unfortunately you cant tell the boost ratio just by the size of the diaphragm.... 

1 hour ago, martyn wright said:

My Vitesse is 1966, they didnt have a servo!  I have found out that the one I have is off a MGB, but is it compatible??

Theyre not made for individual models of cars so theres just a few boost ratios to choose from. The maker can recommend which is the most suitable but its up to the purchaser to decide how much brake assistance he wants (leg strength?). Unless you can match up the part numbers of your servo its difficult to know what the original purchaser bought for his MGB but the chances are it will be reasonable for your car as well. In the end you'll have to try it and see how it suits you.

I personally have good brake pads on my Vitesse and find it pretty easy to lock the wheels even without a servo so would want only the smallest amount of assistance...

Great that'll do the job then. Now you just have to decide where to locate it as the Vitesse engine bay doesnt lend itself to having a servo and I dont think they were ever a standard item. Some put them over the master cylinder or alongside the distributor or move the battery to the boot and install it in its place.

However probably the neatest way is to move the battery side ways as much as possible by cutting out its angle brackets so that the servo can fit between it and the air heater box...

HI,

Glad to see you got and answer in the end. I`m looking at moving the battery to the Boot in the 13/60, I have yet to replace the wiring loom so the oprotunity is there, and that space under the driver side wing would lend it`self, take the Battery brackets out altogether, and leave space for the servo and a modified (heavier) Fusing box which, I need anyway having got Electric PAS fitted now.

Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

no  think it was an 063   but  did shorten the bat carrier a little to just fit and moved the bat carrier closer to the side 

cant measure as sold her 5 years ago 

Pete

Pete that looks like an 038/015 battery with the terminals at the front. 063 is about the same width, bit bigger front to back, and terminals at the rear

PeteH I did what your proposing ie battery in the boot and booster on the battery shelf with battery brackets removed, honestly I wish I should have  done it the PeteL way it looks so neat, mine has plenty of space on the shelf but PeteL way still gives enough space  to fit and access everything. I don’t like the other way done by some with the booster near the master cylinders it looks a little messy and congested.

and  peteT    after much head scratching and pondering about well we have it  but where to fit it headache 

decided where to put it with little clues and no info on well where the heck can it fit being a universal one size fits all any make any age kit of bits in a box 

what we ended up with seemed a fair compromise , i tend to agree  the over the M cyl  is a bit congested and I never found that out either 

Pete