rocker cover cork gasket

hardhatharry

I just remove the old gasket and clean the groove out, plus any old sealant from the head then put a few blobs of sealant just to hold the gasket in place and let that set for a while. Then fit with new fibre washers without over tightening the nuts.

On my Vitesse I made sure the Head surface and recess on the Cover were clean and flat, I used a light continuous smear of Blue Hylomar to stick the gasket to the Rocker cover recess, then carefully bolted it in place.

I used a small rubber 'O' Ring the same diameter as the stud, then a fibre washer, then a flat washer under the nyloc nuts to stop leaks

Also don't overtighten the nuts or you will distort the rocker cover.

Worked for me

Regards

Gary  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanMi said:

I just remove the old gasket and clean the groove out, plus any old sealant from the head then put a few blobs of sealant just to hold the gasket in place and let that set for a while. Then fit with new fibre washers without over tightening the nuts.

+1. Just use a light smear of sealant to hold in place and don't squish it flat when tightening, just enough to seal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

On my Vitesse I made sure the Head surface and recess on the Cover were clean and flat, I used a light continuous smear of Blue Hylomar to stick the gasket to the Rocker cover recess, then carefully bolted it in place.

I used a small rubber 'O' Ring the same diameter as the stud, then a fibre washer, then a flat washer under the nyloc nuts to stop leaks

Also don't overtighten the nuts or you will distort the rocker cover.

Worked for me

Regards

Gary  

Great minds an' all that, Gary!

https://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/7571-modified-and-fabricated-tools-show-tell/   About two thirds the way down the page.

IMG_20210406_173608.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JohnD said:

Great minds an' all that, Gary!

https://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/7571-modified-and-fabricated-tools-show-tell/   About two thirds the way down the page.

IMG_20210406_173608.jpg

John

Not sure if the the rubber 'O' ring stops the oil from leaking or the Fibre washer, probably a combination of both?

According to the Parts Book a fibre washer under the flat washer is all that's needed though (Item 54).  

Interesting to see that the front of the rocker cover is retained by a bolt, the middle and rear are studs, presumably because clearance is so tight at the front with the underside of the bonnet?

Rocker Cover Image.jpg

Probably, Gary, worst on a GT6.

The O-ring and fibre washer seal could work with a steel washer, if you have one with the right sized hole.

The top washer must be a snug fit on the stud (/bolt) so that the ring is compressed into the annulus between stud and sub-washer, sealing it against that and the rocker cover.

As I said, the Dowty washer works in this way, but has a bulit-in, 'O-ring':

Dowty seals diagram  Blue is the steel washer, white the  rubber ring.   See https://www.oringslimited.co.uk/products/seals/dowty-seals/

JOhn

• Like 1