Covid self test

PeterH

I've just picked up a pack of the NHS Covid self test (lateral flow) kits.

I had to smile - made in China, so they give us the virus then sell us the test kit, that's good business.

Oh well, I'm just off to poke a swab down my throat.

I could sell them. 'Er Indoors has thousands of them in her school next door - they just keep sending out hundreds by the boxful, almost weekly - including over the summer holidays when there's no-one there to require testing.

I've been testing (Lateral flow) since April - at least once a week for a job I was on, then twice weekly for the last couple of months.

More companies are asking for LFT before going to site - either home ones or more usually done on site. 

Most of them I've used are just the nose swap and not the throat.

I did a antibody test this week - waiting for the results to see if I've had it or not. I've had no symptoms but given the wife had it and I didn't do anything different I may have done. She of course blames me for giving it her - so I'm hoping for a negative ;)

I too have been lateral flowing just via nostrils and have a dozen negatives.

I also did the antibody blood all over the place and sent the tube off. Got an email the next day.... I have no antibodies !!!

I read the small print and it says that I have not had covid 19.

It then says that the test does NOT check for the antibodies from vaccination !!!

Rollockis.... that is what I did it for.

Something to do with spikes and the test only looks for the after effect of the real virus. . waste of time.

15 hours ago, Anglefire said:

I've been testing (Lateral flow) since April - at least once a week for a job I was on, then twice weekly for the last couple of months.

More companies are asking for LFT before going to site - either home ones or more usually done on site. 

I take it this is in addition to you having had the jabs, not taking any chances then . .

Funnily enough, not been asked about my vaccination status - which I've been double stabbed - but the one place is still all over masks or face shield and now pushing more lateral flow tests - early on you got selected - but they found that disturbed production too much as it took a large chunk of time off the floor and as they often ran with minimal staff the line had to stop or slow. (I don't work on the line BTW - I am a contractor doing engineering stuff on their controls and monitoring systems)

i went on for aged round in circles trying to get a vaccine passport on the phone   so much data required it times out and refreshes all the time so gave up 

go online and all they need is post code  nhs number and name  turns up in the post after two days    so simple  why all the palava on the phone app  its just nuts technology 

Pete

53 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

go online and all they need is post code  nhs number and name  turns up in the post after two days    so simple  why all the palava on the phone app  its just nuts technology 

Pete

Got our EU ones on line and you download them immediately. The French version when it came in I was just after the launch date so got mine at the time of the second jab. Mrs. A was a bit before that so had to down load hers.

Will be interesting next Tuesday as we are planning to go to the village bistro for lunch and should have to produce the pass, even to sit on the terrasse, as the new rules come in from Monday 

You and technology don't seem to get on well @Pete Lewis - took me a few seconds on the phone to get mine. 

Does yours have an expiry date? Mine does and takes about 2seconds to renew it when required.

Having  way of getting it online is great for those that have no other way, but on the whole the government website is excellent.

7 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Did you know there are 14 new Chinese billionaires as a result of the pandemic and mostly PPE and test contracts..

S

Why am I NOT surprised?.

The Vaccine passport via the Internet. is not that widely broadcast?.

Pete

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

Having  way of getting it online is great for those that have no other way, but on the whole the government website is excellent.

I did mine on my phone, easy, not that I'm going anywhere soon I just wanted to see if it works. 

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

The Vaccine passport via the Internet. is not that widely broadcast?.

I agree not very well publicised. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got a message a few weeks ago via a charity that I am associated with. Do you want any free ppe? Thought it was a wind up but said yes please. We have face shields and masks, how many do you want? Thought of numbers, sent back request. Reply, we only do set box quantities, can you handle the next quantity above your request? Yes, just send it!!! DPD arrived weeks later, 3 boxes ...1500 face shields (I think). Next day, DPD arrived again 5000 masks!! All made in China, all with NHS reject supply labels. You may remember the unsatisfactory PPE that was in the news some time ago, well it appears that it has all been given away. Thankfully to charities, but who ordered this in the first place, and can we not make PPE for a reasonable price, to spec, here in the UK? Is all the PPE and virus testing stuff made in China, it does make you think??

56 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Got a message a few weeks ago via a charity that I am associated with. Do you want any free ppe? Thought it was a wind up but said yes please. We have face shields and masks, how many do you want? Thought of numbers, sent back request. Reply, we only do set box quantities, can you handle the next quantity above your request? Yes, just send it!!! DPD arrived weeks later, 3 boxes ...1500 face shields (I think). Next day, DPD arrived again 5000 masks!! All made in China, all with NHS reject supply labels. You may remember the unsatisfactory PPE that was in the news some time ago, well it appears that it has all been given away. Thankfully to charities, but who ordered this in the first place, and can we not make PPE for a reasonable price, to spec, here in the UK? Is all the PPE and virus testing stuff made in China, it does make you think??

Chinese Business Accumen?. That`s being polite. They probabaly had them stored prior to thC-V 19 Launch date?.

Pete