Triumph Spitfire 1500 Hardtop Repair

Black Cat

Hi,

Is the front lip of the hardtop for the 1500 Spitfire removable or does it form a part of the roof?

If it is removable can you still buy the part. I know the GT6 has a repair section and it seems the lip is, or was available and if it can be sourced will it fit the 1500 and who might have one?

The GT6 part number is 814628 but is no longer available from Rimmer.

Many thanks

Thanks gents. The reason I asked is water has got under the lip and it has rusted and pushed the overlap up which in turn lets in more water. I could seal it but I need to clean off the rust and treat the affected areas first.

Didn't realise the fold was spot welded so will need to find the welds and then fold the overlap back to clean and treat the rust.

Not looking forward to folding open, any tips would be appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Black Cat - Sorry, only just picked this one up. I am currently doing extensive repairs to my Spitfire hardtop. You will find posting all over my restoration thread..

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/2623-another-tale-of-woe-but-things-might-be-improving-nose-to-tail-1972-spitfire-mkiv-restoration-upgrades/page/42/

I couldn't find any repair panels so having made templates where there was anything left to template, made panels out of 1mm zintec and fixed them in place using structural adhesive clamped with aluminium blind rivets, as I don't weld. Welding would probably have distorted the existing panels in any case. Any further help that I can offer, please ask.

Badwolf, had a look at your build diary and must say your hardtop was in a sorry state. Mine only had to have some minor welding done to the bottom ends where they sit on the B post and the front lip which I'm currently working on.

Have made some progress on the front lip. firstly, using a flap wheel I ground off the front lip which exposed the extent of the rust under the lip, cleaned off the rust with the flap wheel and treated the metal with rust inhibitor then primed the affected area, brought some stainless steel 'U' section the exact size to fit back over the front edge, the only problem is the stainless steel 'U' section wont conform to the shape of the front edge of the roof, (haven't got the equipment to stretch or shrink metal sections) no problem, did try heating up a small length to see if it would bend to suit but no luck there, so decided to cut some slots in the 'U' section and bend it to the shape, the idea being the slots can be filled when the 'U' section is fixed into place then painted, this worked fine and when I was happy with the fit, clamped it in place and stuck it on with some Tiger seal. There are however some very minor areas on the ends where the bend is tightest which will require some slight grinding to ensure the profile is smooth to the touch but to the naked eye you would hardly notice it.

Hardtop front lip repair. 17.08.2021.jpg

Hardtop front lip repair 17.08.2021.jpg

Black Cat - Your trim looks very similar to the way that I have attempted to repair my back quarterlight window sills. I have know idea how well mine will work out but you have given me some encouragement to get on with mine, even if only to prove that it's scrap and get it out of the garage. Hope yours is succesful. If tiger seal doesn't prove to be successful I can advise on other structural adhesives one of which is holding some of my bonnet together.