Jump to content

Door seals


Patrick Taylor
 Share

Recommended Posts

Many years ago I replaced the door seals on my car when the old ones expired. At the time, the only option seemed to be later furflex ones which have a bigger rubber seal, meaning the doors need slamming to shut them. I had them replaced again the other year, but the problem persists. I am giving the car a belated 50th birthday refresh and have found a company that supplies seals which look much more like the original ones. Can anyone advise which ones might work best? The car is a Bond Equipe 1300, but is in many regards the same as a 13/60 Herald.

Rubber Door Seal - Martrim Car Trimming Supplies

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Patrick Taylor said:

Many years ago I replaced the door seals on my car when the old ones expired. At the time, the only option seemed to be later furflex ones which have a bigger rubber seal, meaning the doors need slamming to shut them. I had them replaced again the other year, but the problem persists. I am giving the car a belated 50th birthday refresh and have found a company that supplies seals which look much more like the original ones. Can anyone advise which ones might work best? The car is a Bond Equipe 1300, but is in many regards the same as a 13/60 Herald.

Rubber Door Seal - Martrim Car Trimming Supplies

Assuming the bond seals are the same as herald/viteese (likely) none of those are correct. It is not a bubble seal, but more of a fin.

 

https://coh-baines.co.uk/product/dx-73-composite-self-grip-type-draught-excluder/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, clive said:

Assuming the bond seals are the same as herald/viteese (likely) none of those are correct. It is not a bubble seal, but more of a fin.

 

https://coh-baines.co.uk/product/dx-73-composite-self-grip-type-draught-excluder/

Thanks, Clive: it's so long since I swapped the seals out (25 years ago 😲) that I can't recall what they looked like! The furflex ones are bubble seals (not  a term I've heard before, but it makes perfect sense), so I was looking for something more compact. Have you used the COH Baines ones?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Patrick Taylor said:

Thanks, Clive: it's so long since I swapped the seals out (25 years ago 😲) that I can't recall what they looked like! The furflex ones are bubble seals (not  a term I've heard before, but it makes perfect sense), so I was looking for something more compact. Have you used the COH Baines ones?

I built my vitesse 25 years ago. I used the fin type seals, but can't remember where they came from. Could have been Bill Davies? 

The furflex issue has been around forever, typical "one size fits all" (but doesn't) from the trade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just cut the last inch off the trim that Bill Davies sold me; I hope it was the right thing to do as it seemed very difficult to cut, nowhere near as neat as the ends that it had, and I sincerely hope it wasn't cut exactly to length... 😮

This is the correct profile for the Herald and I'll bring the off-cut with me to look for it at Malvern. Anyone know off-hand the length required for Herald saloon door apertures?

IMG_0072.jpg.af11d743f1355b4e59e9af9e9d8660df.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I've just cut the last inch off the trim that Bill Davies sold me; I hope it was the right thing to do as it seemed very difficult to cut, nowhere near as neat as the ends that it had, and I sincerely hope it wasn't cut exactly to length... 😮

This is the correct profile for the Herald and I'll bring the off-cut with me to look for it at Malvern. Anyone know off-hand the length required for Herald saloon door apertures?

IMG_0072.jpg.af11d743f1355b4e59e9af9e9d8660df.jpg

 

 

Product Quantity Price
Subtotal: £28.61
Shipping: £6.00 (incl. VAT) via Table Rate
Orders under 2kg
Payment method: Credit Card
Total: £34.61 (includes £5.77 20% VAT)
DX 73 - Composite self grip type draught excluder 8 £28.61


8 metres for saloons 

Paul 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Paul H said:
Product Quantity Price
Subtotal: £28.61
Shipping: £6.00 (incl. VAT) via Table Rate
Orders under 2kg
Payment method: Credit Card
Total: £34.61 (includes £5.77 20% VAT)
DX 73 - Composite self grip type draught excluder 8 £28.61


8 metres for saloons 

Paul 

 

 

Sorry , seller was Coh Baines 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Paul H said:

8 metres for saloons 

Paul 

Thanks Paul, I was too lazy to run out and measure. I think, may be wrong, that the reason I never dealt with COH Baines was their postage, a whopping minimum of £30 to me over here. If I can get the seals at the show, great, but that's one to bear in mind - I could send to relatives in Southampton and they can forward on to me, and it'll still be cheaper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

something i did when everyone sold balloon seals was to cut one side of the balloon with a very sharp stanley blade so the doors could close 

without wrecking the car with great slams 

bit of a bodge till the correct style seals were fitted but anyone with door slammers and fat balloon seal can create an improvement 

its awful stuff  to cut nicely so take care 

Pete

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the advice: are we saying DX 73 is the seal to get? I like Pete's bodge -and my wallet likes it even more!- but the challenge of cutting it neatly may outweigh the savings. I take it that 8 metres does the two front doors; or is a boot seal included in that length? The Bond GT4S has a smaller boot aperture, but two opening rear quarterlights, which I will need to measure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Patrick Taylor said:

Thanks for all the advice: are we saying DX 73 is the seal to get? I like Pete's bodge -and my wallet likes it even more!- but the challenge of cutting it neatly may outweigh the savings. I take it that 8 metres does the two front doors; or is a boot seal included in that length? The Bond GT4S has a smaller boot aperture, but two opening rear quarterlights, which I will need to measure.

I did try the bodge, which helps but buying DX73 is a better fit and less slam 

Paul 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

there you go the bodge is a bodge the right thing is the right thing  

gets my seal of approval  ha !

i have not found any main stream supplier sell the correct section /extrusion   and that also applies to 2000 saloon door seals that run in a C channel .

the trade buyers are complete numpties there is the most awful stuff that neither fits or works from anywhere, so a diy search of COB works wonders

if we can find the right section why cant they ?????   Grrrr

Pete

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

there you go the bodge is a bodge the right thing is the right thing  

gets my seal of approval  ha !

i have not found any main stream supplier sell the correct section /extrusion   and that also applies to 2000 saloon door seals that run in a C channel .

the trade buyers are complete numpties there is the most awful stuff that neither fits or works from anywhere, so a diy search of COB works wonders

if we can find the right section why cant they ?????   Grrrr

Pete

I think I'll go for the right thing, but it is annoying that both times I have had (the wrong) seals fitted it was by marque specialists. I can't imagine 1960's Aston Martins or Ferraris being turned out with over-sized fuzzy-felt door seals. Perhaps you pay for all the extra research...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/08/2021 at 19:56, Colin Lindsay said:

I've just cut the last inch off the trim that Bill Davies sold me; I hope it was the right thing to do as it seemed very difficult to cut, nowhere near as neat as the ends that it had, and I sincerely hope it wasn't cut exactly to length... 😮

This is the correct profile for the Herald and I'll bring the off-cut with me to look for it at Malvern. Anyone know off-hand the length required for Herald saloon door apertures?

IMG_0072.jpg.af11d743f1355b4e59e9af9e9d8660df.jpg

 

 

Of course though original, original seals were of this flap type, but with a coarse woven fabric trim (a cream backing with grey threads running along)  on the interior part of the seal, rather than black rubber.

Has anyone been lucky enough to find a source for these?

Jon

Img_3728.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...