E10 resistant fuel hose

jagnut66

Hi, 

Whilst servicing and renewing parts on my Herald today I spotted the fuel hose to my mechanical fuel pump. It had been changed to an 'unleaded' type but, from the look of it, quite a while ago.

So I dug out a length of E10 resistant hose that I sourced for my Minors, cut it to length and fitted it. One thing less to worry about, as they claim this is good up to E100!!

Whilst doing this I thought members might like a link to it, below.

It's sold in 1 meter lengths.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/fuel-hose- ... 7-3mm.html

As an aside, whilst I was at it I thought I'd renew my rubber seal round the fuel filler neck, ' straightforward job' I thought............. famous last words! 🙄

I ended up removing the tank and then found it a cow to get back in......

Don't want to do that job again in a hurry. 

Best wishes,

Mike.

your club shop sells Gates Barricade  fuel hose 

following lots of ebay crap marked as R9  but useless  so thanks for the link 

one thing you may now find as many have inserting the metal fuel pipes into the hose can slice off inside a small sliver of the hose rubber

(possibly more so on crap hose quality ) these little sods float about and end up jammed in the back of the float needle valve causing fuel delivery problems    there enough posts throughout the years on here the more you mess the more you make , 

there are a good few Tee shirts for  this 

Pete 

Funny you should mention metal fuel pipes, I have new replacement fuel pipes and linking rubber pipes to fit in the near future. 

That should be an interesting exercise..............

Needless to say I will be replacing the hose sections in the kit with my E10 (100) proof hose.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

one thing you may now find as many have inserting the metal fuel pipes into the hose can slice off inside a small sliver of the hose rubber

(possibly more so on crap hose quality ) these little sods float about and end up jammed in the back of the float needle valve causing fuel delivery problems 

Noted for the above installation, thanks Pete.

Best wishes, 

Mike.

I've just had a hose disintegrate internally restricting fuel to the carbs.  It was 4 years old and marked R9, Ebay Chinese!  So I installed the Barricade which has been sitting on the "to do" shelf for a couple of years. Trust only the Club shop! Well, mostly.

Doug

Having the club shop is good but it pays to search the internet as well.

E10 at ASDA already, so presumably Tescos also. 

A shame, as I like to shop around for the best price (which was usually ASDA), so the options are starting to shrink.

I shall be looking for an Esso station near me.

Best wishes,

Mike.

There is an article in this months Practical Classics with reference to E10 and supermarkets.

Apparently E10 goes on sale from September 1st, but supermarkets have started relabelling the pumps in advance but still selling E5.

This link will help you find out which cars are compatible Check if your vehicle can run on E10 petrol - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Spoiler

Triumphs aren't.

we await for E10 to disolve our cars overnight 

im on countdown with my millenium clock 

and weall  know how that idea turned out 

what would have done without Cleveland Discol in our day

that didnt wreck anything or did  it ??

im a firm believer the original fuel hose was made to a specificationand it  lasted years  the recent problems all stem from 

cheap ebay crap sold as R9 fuel hose when it wuld be more suited to an aquarium

Pete

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

im a firm believer the original fuel hose was made to a specificationand it  lasted years  the recent problems all stem from 

Pete

Funny you should say that Pete, i am a believer in that as well and two of my cars are still on the original fuel hose's and they will stay that way until something leaks.

Tony. 

Another thing to say is that surely classic cars like Triumphs should be using super/premium unleaded which is closer to the old 4star instead of the 95 standard unleaded. Premium is staying E5 for sometime apparently. 

Must agree that cheap replacement hose and 50 year old rubber hose have more to do with problems than E5 petrol. 

All this E10 panic is just like when lead fuel disappeared.

And yes, cheap hose is the problem, though I would most definitely not fit old R6 hose.

Incidentally, my wifes MX5 (21 years old) is apparently "not e10 compatible" but I can't find why. Nothing on the WWW at all to explain. And it is happily running just fine in Sainsburys std petrol.  And I am intrigued to see how it affects my injected engine in the spitfire. Will it affect the mixture? I expect it will, but it can autocorrect by 5% so that will hopefully sort it.

5 hours ago, andybeau said:

Triumphs should be using super/premium unleaded

certainly   yes,, i wont be putting  lawn mower fuel 2* in mine whilst fuels have changed over the decades   95 ron was mowers and side valves when our cars were developed 

so uness yoyu want hot running and lowered performace they realy need 97+ and close to factory spec timing to keep the best of the beast on song

Ah, so it's back in stock at the club shop. Angie told me that there was an import problem from the States. I did mention on a thread ages ago, if modern cars now (nearly) all run on E10 etc, then any decent motor factor, even Halfrauds should be stocking E10 by the metre. I think Colin buys his off the shelf from his local supplier without having to go the the trouble of sourcing Gates. If you are on a really tight budget, will fuel pipe from a modern at the local scrappy not work even if it's only for the short bendy bits joining metal pipes, filters, pump, carbs etc. Just a couple of thoughtsnprobably to be shot down in flames!!

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

If you are on a really tight budget, will fuel pipe from a modern at the local scrappy not work even if it's only for the short bendy bits joining metal pipe

A good point, dunno. All modern hoses are high pressure as well as presumably E10 friendly. I would have thought just buy from a reputable source. The hoses that arrived a couple of weeks ago from the club don't have Gates Barricade on them but do state 30R14.

Iain 

Just had a Google and R14 is the ethanol/methanol rated low pressure (50psi) hose. 

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't want to start a knew topic, but does anyone have any thoughts on how the new fuel will effect bits harder to reach than hoses?

I'm thinking about the fuel pump diaphragm, seals inside the fuel tank and carburettor, etc.

Thanks to Covid, I'm using my car for a lot less long journeys than usual, but I really don't want to be stranded due to my fuel pump or carburettor failing.

46 minutes ago, nicrguy1966 said:

I didn't want to start a knew topic, but does anyone have any thoughts on how the new fuel will effect bits harder to reach than hoses?

I'm thinking about the fuel pump diaphragm, seals inside the fuel tank and carburettor, etc.

Thanks to Covid, I'm using my car for a lot less long journeys than usual, but I really don't want to be stranded due to my fuel pump or carburettor failing.

Tank sender seals worry me a little, as most are nitrile bonded cork, and nitrile is not great with ethanol. However, nobody has reported a, issue, maybe the cork is te main part and works OK?

Pump diaphragm may be an issue, worth carrying a spare rebuild kit. Or swap to a Huco electric pump.

Carb parts, somebody has had soft brass olives made for SUs lower float chamber connection. Strombergs, I would hope Burlen have viton O rings. 

On 13/08/2021 at 08:21, clive said:

All this E10 panic is just like when lead fuel disappeared.

We were fed the old line that leaded would still be available from some outlets however LRP would be the thing to go for. How many years further on are we now, and neither is available from the majority of suppliers.

My local stations tell me they can't afford to have tanks full of fuel that only a minority will use. In the last week I've tried to check most of my local filling stations just to see; they all have three nozzles - unleaded, diesel and kerosene. The bigger city stations have unleaded, diesel and low-sulphur or city diesel. We don't even have the 'super' petrols, V Max or the like - they've all disappeared.

The trend here seems to be these unmanned filling stations such as 'Go' - no operators or shop, you pay by card at the pump. They're springing up all over the place.

7 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

We were fed the old line that leaded would still be available from some outlets however LRP would be the thing to go for. How many years further on are we now, and neither is available from the majority of suppliers.

Exactly. And how many cars disappeared because of that? About zero, everybody worried, bought additives etc. But in the end they just retarded the ignition a tad and carried on. A few cars suffered with valve seat wear, but only a few. 

With e10, it will likely be the same, the biggest issues will be people not checking their hoses etc. But failures are something we may see over the next year. Time will tell. And I expect IF there is a problem, somebody will rustle up an additive to fix it. (I know there are additives already, but I have not bothered to check if they actually work)

4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

E10 has to wait till we gather some clues 

I've been bitten by E5 twice. Once when my old hose rotted away in the rear wheel arch depositing a tank full on the garage floor and stinking out the bedroom above. Second time recently the "supposed" E5 proof hose between carbs and pump collapsed internally and went one way. I'm now all Club Shop Barricaded up and await developments.

Doug

Slight thread drift.

Just had to replace the petrol hoses to and from the carb on my strimmer. Tried to start it yesterday and petrol p*s*ed out everywhere, priming bulb also leaking. E10? maybe I do use it sometimes in my garden machines. More likely simply age, strimmer dated 1995. The feed pipe was a very short length of rubber joined to a length of more robust plastic that had the filter on the other end. There was enough slack to pull the plastic one through and refit without the rubber section.

For the return/overflow hose I found a length of translucent red pipe in my bit box that was a perfect fit. At a good guess I think it was from a can of WD40 or such like. As for the split bulb - a liberal application of superglue on it.

Time will tell if it holds 🙄