E10 resistant fuel hose

jagnut66

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The priming bulb is one I hadn't thought of. Hoses are relatively easy, even the small clear ones on mowers and strimmers, but that sort of part could be hard to find on older models.

Exactly. The hoses are the least of my worries. You can easily carry some spare and most are easily reachable for a roadside repair with very few tools. Even replacing them all shouldn't be expensive or that difficult.

The internals of the fuel tank, petrol pump and carburettor are a totally different story 

Before the Great Robot Lawnmower commissioning I had to get the grass cut so dug out the battery powered strimmer. Battery went flat in 10 minutes. Charged it up, but same again. New battery required.  Qualcast strimmer batteries? None anywhere, in fact no Qualcast anything anywhere. They were bought out by Bosch, who promptly closed them down so you can't by Qualcast anymore, just Bosch. :angry: So I have a perfectly serviceable strimmer that I have to chuck away. 

Doug

22 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Before the Great Robot Lawnmower commissioning I had to get the grass cut so dug out the battery powered strimmer. Battery went flat in 10 minutes. Charged it up, but same again. New battery required.  Qualcast strimmer batteries? None anywhere, in fact no Qualcast anything anywhere. They were bought out by Bosch, who promptly closed them down so you can't by Qualcast anymore, just Bosch. :angry: So I have a perfectly serviceable strimmer that I have to chuck away. 

Doug

Don't Bosch have the batteries under their own name / part number? In any case, you've probably tried all sorts of options already, but search for the battery number - same as our oil filters: you may find the 'equivalent' part somewhere else.

36 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Doug

Do a search, plenty of companies do "copies" of rechargeable batteries. Some require the original, presumably to open and fit new cells

8 minutes ago, clive said:

Do a search, plenty of companies do "copies" of rechargeable batteries.

I did that some time ago for Mrs A's laptop computer, original version too expensive and or not available. Generic was affordable and available. Just type in the reference or spec . . As said like oil filters.

56 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Don't Bosch have the batteries under their own name / part number? In any case, you've probably tried all sorts of options already, but search for the battery number - same as our oil filters: you may find the 'equivalent' part somewhere else.

Bosch have closed Qualcast down, they maximise profit if they DON'T continue with Qualcast batteries, you have to buy a whole new Bosch strimmer and battery. 

Clive, Chris,

It's not an Li-ion battery, it's an older type, not nearly as good.

I have a drill which looses charge completely in 24 hours and  while ago I researched getting Li- ion put into it's battery "shell" . Turns out there's a problem accidentally putting the wrong battery in the wrong charger, a BANG!!!! problem. This is the reason the new Li-ion batteries only go in their chargers.

I could get the old battery shell re-done with the older tech battery, but having experienced Li-ion, (it doesn't loose charge, at least not rapidly) it's a new strimmer for me.

I bought a Kercher, if you send proof of purchase, they'll send a free spare Li-ion battery, £60 worth. 

And on to an embarrassing story. The till receipt was a bit crinkly so I ironed it. :wub: It's heat sensitive paper! I knew that, but I still did it!  Anybody want a piece of black paper? :lol: Kercher were very good about it, after they stopped laughing, and I now have a spare Li-ion battery.

Doug

• Haha 2

Hi

I have a range of B&D equipment bought over a series of years, which use the same battery (very handy!) however, from B&D NLA but the same battery is available on`t "tinternet" for a fraction of the price.? When you take them apart, which I did out of curiosity, they are simple Ni-Cad batteries in series.

Pete

I replaced the battery on one of my very old Lidl 10v drills very successfully. Not sure it was worth it as the battery unit cost nearly as much as the latest 12v version complete, but it was a matter of principal as the drill still worked. Then the sealed motor brushes went on my mate's, and he gave me his old battery...typical!

However, having just struggled to trim back a 20 foot tall hedge, mostly spiky stuff with a corded trimmer, it's a new 20volt battery unit to match my other battery tools when I next see one. Cord wrapped around every twig, the ladder, me, no matter how careful I was. Do they train these power leads to act like some tentacled monster off Star Trek?

Well, the day has finally come - the last country in the world using leaded petrol has thrown in the towel. Algeria has used up all of it's stock.

We can all give ourselves a pat on the back at helping prevent crime, according to online reports this morning:

Early studies had estimated that banning the use of leaded petrol could prevent more than 1.2 million premature deaths per year and increase IQ points among children, which would in turn help decrease crime rates and save $2.45 trillion for the global economy.

5 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Well, the day has finally come - the last country in the world using leaded petrol has thrown in the towel. Algeria has used up all of it's stock.

We can all give ourselves a pat on the back at helping prevent crime, according to online reports this morning:

Early studies had estimated that banning the use of leaded petrol could prevent more than 1.2 million premature deaths per year and increase IQ points among children, which would in turn help decrease crime rates and save $2.45 trillion for the global economy.

Cynically, it could just make more intelligent criminals.....

But the realty it is a good thing. With no real downside (despite what many classic car owners think!)

23 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

But doesn't studies show that modern petrol, quite a cocktail, causes cancer.

Regards

Paul

Just about everything causes cancer. But this is from our Govt public health dept. Not particularly nasty stuff. A burger is probably as bad.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/561047/petrol_general_information.pdf

my thoughts without any experience of E problems is more due to crap material used on replacements than whats in the fuel 

the after market is plagued with rubber components that meet no specification and often the 50yr old orig is better than 

some alleged muck on ebay sold by the many .

so the health warning is summarised  as dont drink a mug of petrol then light your fag could be risky  

Pete

7 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

I'm alright then, I don't eat burgers on the principal that the next time Macdonald's serve food it will the first time.

Regards

Paul

My comparison harks back to the Roundup (glyphospate) weedkiller cases in teh USA where some have won cases blaming the stuff for them getting cancers. Yes, the WHO does say it is  a cancer risk, but what they never mention is that they are in the same risk category as red meat. ie to totally avoid stuff that causes cancers means giving up on life itself, from sunlight to a steak.

44 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

But doesn't studies show that modern petrol, quite a cocktail, causes cancer.

Others have covered the low risk factor but I'd just note that analysis of the early studies of risk concluded that the only people likely to suffer were petrol pump attendants, who breathed the fumes all day. That's why all garages went self-service around the time unleaded appeared.

23 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Others have covered the low risk factor but I'd just note that analysis of the early studies of risk concluded that the only people likely to suffer were petrol pump attendants, who breathed the fumes all day. That's why all garages went self-service around the time unleaded appeared.

That reminds me of teh demise of proper creosote. That too is very low risk for the occasional user, but increases with exposure. Which begs the question, why is it only available to professionals, who will have high exposure, while DIYers using it every 4 years will be very low risk.

39 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

my thoughts without any experience of E problems is more due to crap material used on replacements than whats in the fuel 

the after market is plagued with rubber components that meet no specification and often the 50yr old orig is better than 

so the health warning is summarised  as dont drink a mug of petrol then light your fag could be risky  

Pete

The old rubber petrol pipe on my Vitesse seems fine, hopefully not famous last words, but have just ordered some new pipe from club shop.

Regards

Paul

2 minutes ago, clive said:

That reminds me of teh demise of proper creosote. That too is very low risk for the occasional user, but increases with exposure. Which begs the question, why is it only available to professionals, who will have high exposure, while DIYers using it every 4 years will be very low risk.

So you end up spending more money on the substitute which I seem to need on a yearly basis therefore increasing their profits. Only three sheds to do at the moment but at the breeding rate of parts will soon need a forth.

Regards

Paul.

I  have noticed spongy braided hose on my Vitesse from the front copper pipe to the filter before the carbs.anyone know what diameter i would need to replace the lot,my cars don`t live at home here so i can`t check easily.MK 1 2.5 Vitesse and 1500 Herald.

Steve

1 hour ago, 68vitesse said:

I'm alright then, I don't eat burgers on the principal that the next time Macdonald's serve food it will the first time.

Regards

Paul

I've only ever been into a McDo once. That was because all I wanted was a Happy Meal box to put a wedding present in for a friend here who is also a local very good , Michelin recommended, chef as a joke.

Had to buy the 'meal'. My views on it would get me a lifetime ban on here 🤬

1 hour ago, clive said:

Same here in France. Also (I think still applies to glysophate) and old railway sleepers.

My house backs on to a 6 hectare field. The farmer can spray with glysophate, use old railway sleepers as fence posts but I can't.

We have a number of old sleepers in the garden as edging to flower beds, some are dated older than me, plants, weeds and grass still thrive. I can no longer buy any, I tried a couple of years ago, but if I sent a neighbour who is a farmer to get some, no questions asked they are available.

Getting back on subject

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Same comments and views as Pete.