Insurance agreed value form

andycouchman_5147

Chris   as i said i have done all the area and shop updating for the site garth and myself were holding together till it died one christmas 

i have half a mind to offer to help but all depends on working from home access and some training on how it all comes together 

Pete

Sorry to have stirred up a hornet's nest and also sorry to involve Pete, but if this club is to go forward the main website needs sorting along with the shop. Farcebook is a waste of time for many real people, like most social media (except this forum!!), which to paraphrase Andy Warhol, is only to give people their 15 minutes of fame then back to obscurity.

COM..Please finish off both main site and club shop or contract it out to a professional web author.

You haven’t opened a hornets nest ,more brought back to attention things that need sorting out, we only have so much man power on Com and we have all been rather busy sorting out Covid Tssc then organising the joint international event.

I really do want to hear peoples thoughts on what the club does and how it does it

The website is something we are very aware is a problem as well as the on line shop.

I find it difficult to understand why a lot of people on the forum have a dislike of social media when it is a fantastic opportunity to promote the Tssc and interact with Triumph enthusiasts currently we interact with over 11,000 people a day on various social media platforms all for free and instantly, the response is incredible with our best post reaching out to over 70,000 people from one picture.

I feel that a spokesperson for the Forum would be a great idea and i think we all know who would be the best person to do this !

Not just to go to the Agm but to have regular interaction with either myself or another member of Com.

All of your thought would be gratefully received on here ?

Thanks Chris 

Tssc chairman 

• Like 1

Maybe the problem is fingers in to many pies or jack of all trades and master of none? As for social media in general, it is transient, one site is today's flavour of the month the next it's dead, according to my granddaughter who knows about all this stuff, whereas this forum is stable and a constant resource of knowledge, experience, guidance and humour. As for security issues, farming of personal information, tastes, actions etc, I won't even start to go down that route. I just look at what comes to me from people who have obviously had personal details lifted from their SM accounts. It starts with their address book and history, then I wonder what else the hackers got! You can't and will never please all of the people all of the time, so sort out the big stuff...the important stuff...the flagship sites and worry about farcebook, titter, whatsup, instaglum and all the others when the core stuff is working really well and the club looks good. Sadly and apologies to the programmer who has obviously spent a lot of time building the club site and shop, it's full of style over content on the main site (pretty pictures with out of date info and poor layout) and almost the reverse on the shop site, no pictures and a bit of info, everything that I was taught not to do with a company website. Simple question "what do people who go on the club websites want" (information) simple answer "give it to them or give it up".

• Like 1

i have replied to Chris but something odd has happened to the  forum PM its hidden  in there somewhere 

think the first think is we have is too many moderators with little visible input 

out of date area directory   do the liaison team have access to correct or boot lacking  AO into touch

lack of  photo in the online shop this must loose more sales than we know as we just dont know 

you need to read the clues in courier to make the search work   thats pretty nuts 

get it right  for members area 's  and right for shoppers and the profesionalism shines through

its no use having lots of management  if there is no clue how it works 

some COM need to use the site as a newbie trying to navigate and buy a   £197  steering wheel with no picture and we could start there 

Pete

18 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

......some COM need to use the site as a newbie trying to navigate and buy a   £197  steering wheel with no picture and we could start there 

..and navigate the main website on a tablet or phone. Big menu buttons along the top. Gallery for the pretty moving pictures proper home page. I know I sound petty (I know I am petty), but I come from the simple web site generation, dial up, slow speeds etc etc. Look at Google, simple layout, fast loading. Not everyone is on superfast broadband. Main TSSC home page, huge pictures, tiny menu, I can scarcely read the text on the menu buttons to log in, never mind press them on my tablet or even worse phone, in portrait view

Hi guys. Sheepish CoM member responsible for the website, forum and online shop here.

The website person to report stuff like this to is me; the upshot is that if it isn't up to snuff then I'm the one who has dropped the ball and you need to give me a nudge (or a kicking - depends on how bad it is 🙂 )

The online shop revamp has also been mine and I help the forum technically, but not really with posts, replies or even enough visits, if I'm honest

Word reached me and I had a good read through of what you were saying and I think the vast majority of it is fair comment and/or great ideas and I should do something about implementing it

From what I have seen I think the main things to work on are:

• The Area details are not felt to be up to date.
    Perhaps we can add a 'last updated' (or last confirmed correct) date on the area details and use this both for visitors to know how up to date the info is and to use as a list to remind AOs to update their details (even if it is just to tell me to do it for them; not all AOs are technically minded). I think the covid uncertainties / changes has impacted here (our regular pub for meetings now only does table bookings for food, for instance) but we could do more to get them up to date, even if it is just to say 'no meetings yet'.
  • The club shop lack of photos has been going on for TOO long.
    This is mea culpa - my fault. This has been on my todo list since I started doing this and I haven't made any progress. I failed at the stage of trying to get a list of what items had or didn't have photos.
    I will finish this and improve this woefully poor situation (and think about description etc quality at the same time)
  • The website forms should be easy to find and I like the idea of there being an online fill-in-able form.
    We already took on board the message about the Direct Debit being a terrible paper form and made that an online form recently so this is just an extension of this idea.
  • The website, shop and forum should work as easily on a smartphone and tablet as on a big screen PC or laptop.
    We have made great strides forward on this, particularly with the online shop on mobiles, but it seems we should take another look at this

There are some do-ers who make the stuff happen but I liaise, as someone put it. I bear responsibility if your experience is shite - if it is, tell me and I'll do what I can to make it better

So, yes, you're right about your moans and gripes above and I like that you care enough to say what's bad or needs fixing,  and not just what's good

And yes, it is down to me - let me know about stuff like this and I will fess-up that its me and put-up a solution or a plan for one at least. 

We have a CoM meeting coming up early next week which will give me a chance to leverage some help from the other CoM members and the staff and make some progress; it will be a week or two before you see any progress though I'm afraid

Tom
CoM member for websites, forum and online shop

• Thanks 3

Tom - Before you start on amendments to the sites can I suggest obtaining a list of wants from the members. Then you have a clear idea of what is needed. Then you can distill the best and the practical from the ideas so you will not waste your time on dead ends or ambiguities. Example...the home page heads making better - fine, but you need to know how. I'm sure that you get the idea. As for photos for the shop, I'm sure that all suppliers will be able to get you library copies of much of the stock to save having to photograph everything in house. A straightforward but time consuming operation even assuming that you have decent kit to do it. I'm sure that we can all chip in with ideas and a wish list to help out.

Edit - Pete beat me.

Hi

Cannot think of anything realy that has not been already said, But recently, looking in fact for replacement side lights, I noticed that a simple search facility of the shop appreared to be missing?. Having to repeatedly scroll the pages becomes a bit tedious. Even if (for argument) it had been possible to enter "lighting" as a search it would have shortened the time scale.? I note that this is not just confined to club shop, but can be found too, even on the websites of "usual suspects", I wonder why such a simple? thing is overlooked so often?.

Pete

38 minutes ago, PeteH said:

I note that this is not just confined to club shop, but can be found too, even on the websites of "usual suspects", I wonder why such a simple? thing is overlooked so often?.

Possibly because a good search tool is actually quite a hard task, whereas the page layout of, say, Paddocks web site means that Google does quite a good job of indexing it anyway.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Possibly because a good search tool is actually quite a hard task, whereas the page layout of, say, Paddocks web site means that Google does quite a good job of indexing it anyway.

I take your point, especially about google, But even back in the Old DOS days a (simple) search was possible?. albeit it did involve a lot of typing!.

Pete

40 minutes ago, PeteH said:

even back in the Old DOS days a (simple) search was possible

Yes, for an exact match, which is good enough if you want to know where the "MyApp.exe" file is. It's no good if the customer types in "lights" and your pages are all called "lighting". That's where Google scores because it's backed by the worlds biggest data and natural language processing.

in the old shop original  i nicked pictures from all over the place to populate the blanks 

the newer end of sale system  we introduced screwed the transfer data up and turned it into a scrambled mess 

then Garth was redundant  and there's no staff  left  to do anything 

Pete

Is it time to consider whether the whole site is fit for purpose as it looks like it’s a standalone solution that has developed over the years . Maybe an epos online solution should be considered like Shopify or even Wix . 
If this isn’t practical then removing the moving graphics and having black text on a white background would be an improvement.  I used to check prices with the TSSC shop but don’t bother now because the site is so clunky . Having dual pricing complicates the purchasing exercise . Does dual pricing make money for you . I did a quick check on SEO ( search engine optimisation ) and there are issues which will affect your Google ranking eg no H tags . My apologies if this is incorrect . It’s some time since I last did SEO . Lastly the delivery charges appear high compared other suppliers. 
Paul 

12 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

...and we need a new post heading for ideas comments not hidden in insurance posts 

I have opened two new threads on the subject of the web site and shop. Please post your ideas on the 'SUGGESTIONS' thread. Any general ideas and discussions go on the 'DISCUSSIONS; thread. This will keep everything together and hopefully simplify the list of things that we think need sorting. We will see if it works!!

11 hours ago, PeteH said:

I noticed that a simple search facility of the shop appreared to be missing?

There IS a search facility on the shop site but I think it is off the right hand edge of the screen on most phones. Try the site in landscape (sideways) to see it, then switch back once you press search. It is there on a tablet and laptop I think.

I will ask the shop website guy if this search box can be made more visible

Tom

28 minutes ago, Tom Hartley said:

AOs who don't

now thats a good move 

well i updated mine last month and it says NEVER   i object   Ha!   just run it again to save and now it shows  27/8

but its needs to be retrospective if possible or some who do keep things up to date will see   NEVER     which may not have the result we wished 

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Just having a rumage around the club website to see which of the North West AOs had brought their pages up to date after previous comments. I know, I should have known better, apart from Henry in Cheshire who appears to be 'on the ball'. What did worry me was the Liverpool site.

https://www.tssc.org.uk/tssc/areas_final.asp?area_ID=6&area=Northern, Liverpool

When I clicked on the 'Group Website' link, I got more than even I bargained for...

http://www.triumphliverpool.com

!!!???

This was via my tablet, I haven't checked the main PC yet.

Edit.. Yep, same on the mainPC!!

Edited by Badwolf
Updated information

• 2 weeks later...

Doug - Yes, I did risk investigating a little further like you, and then ran a full system virus check. Thankfully nothing untoward was found after running multiple checkers.

Very interesting though but sadly, I agree with Clive. It makes the whole thing look, uncared for and unwanted. Looks really bad to any newcomers, but then I have been whinging about this for a long time as you all know. No-one at HQ bothers so why should I care.