Classic car meet this evening

cliff.b

6 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

wonder what he has done to lower it or other mods ..what under the engine cover ??

Apparently fitting the Sunbeam Rapier 1725 is quite popular. If so, I hope they have done some serious suspension mods lol

17 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

Apparently fitting the Sunbeam Rapier 1725 is quite popular.

they were all  1725 based  and towards the end of life we fitted high compression and overdrive which certainly brightened up more rapid travel  ( had J3 in the chassis prefix )

the perky 4108 was a noisy slow coach 

with the toe in set corrct at static heghts it handled like a dream. despite the narrow front track i remember taking a laycock overdrive engineer out on a test and frighten the life 

out of him  ....i wasnt expecting thats  was a quivering comment as we hacked around all the Boscome road round abouts ............. happy days 

Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

they were all  1725 based  and towards the end of life we fitted high compression and overdrive which certainly brightened up more rapid travel  ( had J3 in the chassis prefix )

the perky 4108 was a noisy slow coach 

with the toe in set corrct at static heghts it handled like a dream. despite the narrow front track i remember taking a laycock overdrive engineer out on a test and frighten the life 

out of him  ....i wasnt expecting thats  was a quivering comment as we hacked around all the Boscome road round abouts ............. happy days 

Pete

Ha ha, I just remember them being everywhere in the 80s, especially all the BT ones (I think). They looked unstable at any speed but looks can be deceptive, I guess.

20 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

useful as all the  gpo /telecoms  alloy ladder racks and storeage shelving was all made in house 

a few alloy cylinder heads were patched up in the welding booths 

Pete

Wonder what they would go like with a Rapier Holbay engine fitted 🤔