Overdrive

bodger

A 1969 Vitesse would be a Mk2, but that doesn't make any difference to the overdrive.

If it's never worked then it could be any of a long list of problems. I had an OD box in a Spitfire that had never worked since bought - although we had at least done a few simple electrical tests - which ended up needing a full strip down before I discovered some numpty had broken the oil pump when it was rebuilt. (They also hadn't cleaned it out properly so it was full of aluminium swarf).

So, first off, put the car in fourth gear, ignition on but engine not running, and operate the overdrive column stalk. Can you hear a clonk noise from the gearbox as you do so?

does it use  a  column stalk or switch on gear knob ???

you will have a relay somewhere  ( normally by the battery zone on the bulkhead ) but could be anywhere as a retro fit   does it click ??

check the gearbox oil level 

as rob says does the main solenoid ( drivers side of the gearbox )  click ??

on a Dtype there is a lever under the plate on the RH side (needs tunnel off)  remove plate does the lever move when operated ??

it has a hole in the lever needs to align with hole in case with 3/?16" drill shaft as a guide when operated 

oposite side is a cover inside is a mesh  filter   is it clogged   ???

pete

15 hours ago, NonMember said:

A 1969 Vitesse would be a Mk2, but that doesn't make any difference to the overdrive.

If it's never worked then it could be any of a long list of problems. I had an OD box in a Spitfire that had never worked since bought - although we had at least done a few simple electrical tests - which ended up needing a full strip down before I discovered some numpty had broken the oil pump when it was rebuilt. (They also hadn't cleaned it out properly so it was full of aluminium swarf).

So, first off, put the car in fourth gear, ignition on but engine not running, and operate the overdrive column stalk. Can you hear a clonk noise from the gearbox as you do so?

Hi no clonk

the basic circuit is

white wire from the ht coil to  od switch 

od switch   yellow/green to  to W2 on relay

relay C1  brown to No1 on ign switch

relay C2  yellow /purple  toOD solenoid

relay W1  yellow to inhibitor switch on gearbox  (then earthed after switch)

these are early wire codes and over the years much can be meddled with 

Pete