Spin off oil filter for Triumph Vitesse

Paul H

The list that suit a Vitesse is a lot shorter than the 2500S list, because there's a lot more stuff in the way. My 'S' had the adaptor fitted so the filter was vertically down into open space, so a really long filter, or one without a non-return valve, would be absolutely fine. Can't do that on a Vitesse because the chassis is in the way.

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Mann 714/2. Compact and with two anti-drain flaps.

There are many, many other possibilities.

Nick

Hi Nick been down the Mann 714/2 route . A nightmare for me as created an airlock and no Oil pressure . The forum rescued me, the thread was over 5 pages , and I was close to suspecting the oil pump .

Paul 

18 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Where did you purchase from please ?

Paul

I think the problem you had Paul was just a one off, when we spoke i said i had only seen the problem a couple of times in my life. I still use the Mann filters and haven't had any problems. I still think about yours though :) 

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, poppyman said:

I think the problem you had Paul was just a one off, when we spoke i said i had only seen the problem a couple of times in my life. I still use the Mann filters and haven't had any problems. I still think about yours though :) 

Tony. 

Got 2 left ! Do I take the risk 

Paul 

I use the Fram ones on my Vitesse,have done for many years,although the angle of mine is  a bit less horizontal than that pic.

I bought 2 of the Mann short ones to try but after reading the other thread i decided to stick with the Fram,always had instant oil pressure on startup.

Steve

50 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

just let it idle a few seconds and alls well its 50 years too  late to get paranoid about a few knocks 

Pete

Agree entirely. That is what I do with my humble 13/60, start the car before attaching seat belt etc. and away you go 

36 minutes ago, poppyman said:

I would Paul, but after all its your car..... I still think it was a one off as you hadn't had problems before.

Tony.

Hi Tony , I’m playing safe , just ordered from Canleys . Thanks for guiding me through the last Mann 714/2 issue 

Paul 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Hi Tony , I’m playing safe , just ordered from Canleys . Thanks for guiding me through the last Mann 714/2 issue 

Paul 

Put them on Fleabay Paul i'm sure they will sell quickly. I will keep things crossed for your next oil change. :) 

Tony.

8 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

just let it idle a few seconds and alls well its 50 years too  late to get paranoid about a few knocks 

I guess Pete. Why have we come paranoid about a bit of general wear and tear. Especially as most our cars don't do lot's of regular use starts, and only get started from cold every now and again.

Saying that. I usually crank over from cold for 8 secs or more and gives a fairy quite start. Today my battery a bit flat and gave it some early choke. I tried to ignore those harmless rumblings.

Dave   

On 14/08/2021 at 10:50, Paul H said:

Hi Nick been down the Mann 714/2 route . A nightmare for me as created an airlock and no Oil pressure . The forum rescued me, the thread was over 5 pages , and I was close to suspecting the oil pump .

Paul 

Using them without problem on 3 Triumphs........  Vitesse has had several.

Nick

11 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

drain back ...no one moans about the gallery being empty  !!!!!!! which drains out through the journals 

there is more empty space its not just the filter 

Ah, but the gallery volume is tiny compared to an empty filter can.  Metal banging on metal in a hydrodynamic bearing is never harmless.  The harm per event may be minor if you keep the revs down and it's brief, but there is harm.  Engines that get near instant oil pressure at start-up, hot or cold, will outlast those that don't.

Nick

• Thanks 1

I agree but cant see the  point of getting into lots of  trial and error to solve a aged design of inherent less than best  

ive used club filters for nearly 20 years and many miles without any headaches 

in many cars of only a little earlier era did not even have a oil filter and they are still  knocking and running 

its just  dont lose sleep over filter drain back 

Pete

Hi purchased a couple of spin off oil filters from Canleys for my Vitesse , cost £7.20 each plus vat plus delivery ( there were a few extra bits ) . 
They sent FRAM PH966B which I then googled and found this offer from Arnold Clark’s 

2A3AC03F-9378-4DC4-A206-7A1745CD9436.thumb.png.0ed43ea33826822f0f88d4200ff4ebd2.png

Delivery is £2.95 or free with orders over £24 

Paul