Is it just me, it probably is!

Mathew

I started to travel to malvern this morning, then i just thought, do i really want to travel six hours round trip to pay more for bits i could get easier elsewhere! 25 pounds to walk round a show ground. I wouldn't mind so much but every year it seams the main club show is the opposite side of the country! Its probably just me fed up. I would rather spend my time this weekend getting the puma spitfire ready to paint!

I know where you're coming from. I've got a prior social engagement today and I don't feel the need to drive all the way to Malvern tomorrow to pay to walk round a show ground. I'd much rather spend the time finishing yesterday's job (fitting an oil cooler to the Spitfire).

It is always a dilemma with these things, like anything else really.

It has to be a compromise simply because of the time available, financial costs and other activities you could be doing instead. If you are questioning going it already indicates that the plus points are going down and the minus points rising. 

There is no clear cut logical answer as the pleasure factor of any activity isn't something that can be quantified easily.

In my own case there are certain events in my general area that I won't go to because the cost outweighs my pleasure, on the other hand there is one in October that I do like to go to even though the stands aren't the main reason for my visit. There is a car park  specifically for classic cars and that IS worth a look round.

As for buying bits, I am looking to replace the non return valve in the washer bottle and although I could fit one from a local pet shop that sells aquarium bits I have spotted a version specifically for the job being sold for a couple of Euros plus postage ( which will be more than the cost) but I might drive there to get it even though a round trip will be 6 hours+ simply for the pleasure of the drive.

No logic, just human.

Boy do I ramble! 😁

My thoughts as well, round trip in excess of 400miles and nine hours driving, last one I attended was Stratford on Avon not much for a Vitesse and auto jumble a shadow of what it used to be.

My cut off point is around 150miles and three hours each way these days.

Never seems to be any of the main shows close to East Anglia except for Duxford in three weeks.

Just beaten to it.

Regards

Paul

we have club shop  at Duxford but with all the headaches and lack of response to getting traders who now use ebay and sit back

i gave up  getting any other than club shop support and foot fall has dropped from 400 cars to a more placid 150 with so many other local events 

now taking place it dilutes what was a crowd puller to a lesser event that what was normal 10 years ago 

Pete

Not just you,i am seriously lacking in motivation to travel to shows,there aren`t any that i know of around where i live,nowadays i never find out about some shows because i don`t do Facebook or any other of that cobblers.

Went to Duxford a few times before covid,that`s 2 hours minimum for me each way.Maybe it`s a trend.

I am going to Brands Hatch on the 28th for the swinging 60`s racing though.

S

duxford is cash on the day , if you dont come you dont pay 

classic entry is 9 till 12   then gates close 

full access to museum till 6pm 

whats not to like  

sorry  just have to keep bumping duxford 

drinks and grub for a donation  

Pete

I've always really enjoyed Duxford, great day out. About 60 miles from me so not a bad run out. This show and Leatherhead SEM are really the only two Triumph shows I attend nowadays. 

Been to all the big shows numerous times over the years, but the cost of fuel, entry and travel time curbs my enthusiasm. I used to enjoy the autojumbles, but obviously there not like they used to be years ago.

After the first dozen events, going to any show is not only about what what you might see, or what bargain you might buy, there's also 'who'. 

But meeting friends, whether old or making new ones, takes time and that's not something there's plenty of ..if you attend just for one day.   Malvern and other shows where one can stay overnight, enjoy an evening meal and a beverage in good company - is what makes the show.  Something special to see or what you might buy are simply a bonus for many who attend.  Those who enjoy concourse take great pride in their preservation and presentation efforts, but also they get to know the other cars and meet other competitors .. "who" may be from the other end of the country, and only ever otherwise known about via the internet.

The problem is that some of us like classic cars and the social side very much more than camping in the rain.  Wives / partners are even less enthusiastic at the prospect. And pets may not even be allowed.  This year, I anticipated that any affordable B&B or hotel within 20 miles of such a huge Triumph & MG gathering would be unavailable. And unless booked together with existing friends any further afield just takes you away from what you go for ..friendships. 

What's the solution, but to get up at 4am to arrive at 9, and then to arrive home after 2am in the morning (if you don't have a breakdown and the roads are clear) .?   Well., many take a camper, caravan or camping trailer for a little more comfort, and then perhaps extend their stay in that part of the country as a holiday.  That way the wife / partner might also be encouraged to go along with it.  

Duxford is a one day event, close to the middle of the country.  Two + hours to get there means that an early arrival time and late departure are not overly inconvenient.  And that means more time at the show to sit down to have a chat, a coffee together, lunch, etc.,  and then also to see what you've gone to see, and perhaps to swap or buy parts that were discussed in advance.  Up north, down in the corners, have a similar event ..so persons in those parts of the country can likewise have a good ol' get together.  And other further-traveled visitors will more easily find local accommodation for the night, simply because those events are smaller.  

The option I'm going for is to build a small camping-trailer so that I can also drive my Triumph TR.  If I had a Triumph saloon I'd probably have chosen a period caravan. 

Pete

I think pete has it. If doing a show like malvern stay the whole weekend and make it whole. Its too far for a day. Stick to local for day trips. Glad i came home as i shall have the car ready to paint tomorrow. 

Drove to within spitting distance of Malvern yesterday. Drive time estimated at under two hours. Actual drive time: five (5) hours. Decided to go non motorway and know the route well. Could not believe the traffic levels. But, enjoyed my time there and bought some bits I was looking for but will think long and hard about going that sort of distance again. 
p.s. there is clearly a grave shortage of GT6s.

Three hours each way for a 300 mile round trip but caught up with Triumph chums not seen for many moons, and agree GT6s were the in the 'rare' category.  If you do not bite the bullet and go occasionally, and the location will always be good for some and not others, then these events will not happen at all and then the moaning increases.  Chatting to some auto-jumblers they were not doing much business, with plenty of 'I'll pop back in a bit' or 'I can get it cheaper on the Bay'.  

Dick

16 hours ago, Paulfc said:

p.s. there is clearly a grave shortage of GT6s.

24 minutes ago, Dick Twitchen said:

agree GT6s were the in the 'rare' category.

Well from what I've read on threads it gets hot inside a GT6, so in good weather the owners can't cope with the heat inside the car let alone outside. 😁

Hope all those that did go had a good week-end

GT6 owners are the ones in shorts at the TSSC Christmas party. (Boom! Boom!)

You godda seal the tunnel and all the holes and gaps in the bulkhead. Then make sure the heater valve works, although a recent thread revealed heaters were an option on MK1s. I might try disconnection to see what happens.

Air Con was an option on USA GT6s, never seen one, wonder what a dent that made to fuel consumption? :o

Doug

30 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Air Con was an option on USA GT6s, never seen one, wonder what a dent that made to fuel consumption? :o

About the same as a 3mm diameter hole in the bottom of the petrol tank 😎

4 hours ago, Chris A said:

it gets hot inside a GT6

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

You godda seal the tunnel and all the holes and gaps in the bulkhead

Certainly does in a Mk1, none of those fancy eyeball vents it's open all the windows even with all the holes blocked.  Still, did gets lots of waves and thumbs up whilst travelling, and even coerced into parking with a gaggle of Audie R8 owners at the service station which delayed things answering questions like "what is it?" and "how do you get in it?"!