Home made rust remover Gel (very cheap and appears very effective)

daverclasper

Hi.  I heard that folk in the States use this method, so thought I'd give it a go and share my experience and try and encourage more "tips and tricks stuff?.

I tried this on an area of wheel arch lip than the paint had flaked off on, exposing fairly engrained surface rust.

Wallpaper paste and Citric acid powder are the ingredients. When the paste has thickened, add the Citric acid powder.  I used about a third powder to paste, though I assume more powder would make it more effective.

Applied roughly a 2mm coat and covered with cling film (though doesn't seem to dry out quickly like the bought acid gel does).

Did this at tea time at the Malvern Show and removed it the next morning. Apart from some very tiny pin prick pits (another coat, or stronger solution may have helped this)  It was totally clean of rust.

So, from this trial it seems better than the bought ones and much cheaper.

Warmer weather helps with any acid solution.

Also can be used with water instead of wallpaper paste for parts that can be dipped (works well apparently). A fish tank heater helps with the heat.

Dave

Edited by daverclasper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just to add as I don't appear to have an "edit" function at the mo.  Maybe worth just mixing a very small amount as a trial for ratio's, sorry to be "Nanny State", though I can have a bad habit of often mixing up too much stuff myself🤗

Edited by daverclasper

Thanks Dave for the tip, better still when you followed it up by personally having tried it. 

..trust me I understand how such total thread drifts, albeit not meant unkindly, can upset.   If it's of any consolation.. I appreciate your post, although I'd never heard of citric-acid-powder before. Reading of its various uses I've ordered 1/2kg of today (ebay, under £4 in postage).  So cheers mate B)

Pete.    

3 hours ago, daverclasper said:

Apologies if a bit abrupt. Was having a bad night with one thing and another

No apologies needed Dave, and the tip is a very good one. I have never heard of it before but it makes perfect sense and its cheap :)  Whats not to like about saving money.

Tony. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bfg said:

although I'd never heard of citric-acid-powder before

Me neither, must make a note of it.

53 minutes ago, poppyman said:

No apologies needed Dave, and the tip is a very good one

I agree.

Thread drift is endemic on this site, it's incurable and it can also be contagious so take care 😁

Not home made, but a recent' "Which?-style" test caught my eye.

Mr.Edward China has a series of videos online, about his re-commisioning of a neglected Range Rover.     In this episode he's dealing with a VERY rusty fuel tank, and trials a series of rust treatments, by placing test pieces of rusty steel in them overnight.    See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu2TD3OUI3Q&ab_channel=EddChina   The trial results are from 22 minutes in.

He tried three "rust removers", three "rust converters", and Coke!       He made no comment on the failures, but while all the converters seemed to work, it was obvious on screen that two of the removers, Jenolite and white vinegar (!) did buggar all.   Coke worked, a bit, but it's a surprise that Jenolite was so useless!

John

Hi

White Vinnegar Crystals are used/useful for many things.  My most recent, was to clean and de-scale the 16/30 Heater Matrix. I have it "on hand" as it`s my go-to de-scaler for any sort of "Stainless" steel product, where some de-scalers, especially those containing Clorines can cause perferation.

Pete

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Hi

White Vinnegar Crystals are used/useful for many things.  My most recent, was to clean and de-scale the 16/30 Heater Matrix. I have it "on hand" as it`s my go-to de-scaler for any sort of "Stainless" steel product, where some de-scalers, especially those containing Clorines can cause perferation.

Pete

Here in France vinaigre blanc is the preferred descaler, comes in 5 litre 'bidons' at 14% compared to 8 for normal. Works well. French classic sites even talk about using it to clean out the cooling system.

9 hours ago, Chris A said:

Here in France vinaigre blanc is the preferred descaler, comes in 5 litre 'bidons' at 14% compared to 8 for normal. Works well. French classic sites even talk about using it to clean out the cooling system.

I use it annually, to clean/descale the water heater in my Motorhome, A tea spoon full in the kettle (1.7L) removes the hard water scale very effectively too.

Pete

13 hours ago, PeteH said:

Hi

Pete

If they do malt vinegar version then that would solve the problem that has occurred in many Triumphs over the years, Chips with all the flavour without the soggy bits

Citric acid in kg bags cheap via Ebay.

I have used it as a solution to immerse parts rather than a paste.

Works better warmed.-brewing type immersion heater.

It isn’t super fast and helps to take the object out and wire- brush now and again.

It is safe to use - certainly much more user- friendly  than hydrochloric acid ( like brick cleaner)  which can burn skin and the HCL vapour will surface rust any ferrous metal in the vicinity.

or phosphoric acid works well - which is Jenolite -rather expensive ( better value for money  phosphoric acid is Machine Mart’s own brand which seems  very similar )

Coca Cola is disappointing.the amount of phosphoric acid in it is tiny ( which is hardly surprising, really since its drinkable !)

Acetic acid - vinegar  never been that impressed ;Ok for cleaning coins.

Electrolysis using  Washing Soda solution, sodium carbonate, and battery charger leads - Works  well but it is  very messy !

2 hours ago, ahebron said:

If they do malt vinegar version then that would solve the problem that has occurred in many Triumphs over the years, Chips with all the flavour without the soggy bits

No Mushy Peas?.😀

Pay attention at the back!!!!.......

On 02/04/2021 at 13:42, Badwolf said:

No, but I did read on some yank site about people who make their own derusting concoction out of citric acid and wallpaper paste. There might even be a deviation using phosphoric acid instead. I'll keep to the hydrate 80

From the Bilthamber rust gel thread here..

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/7879-bilt-hamber-rust-gel/?tab=comments#comment-110046