It started out a simple job

ahebron

My old Southbend 9C lathe drive belt was slipping and stretching so a I decided to replace it with a reversed 5 rib fan belt of appropriate length.
Dismantle the headstock which was easy, dismantle the counter shaft which was easy dismantle the reduction gear assembly which was also easy.
Something is going to go wrong as it was all easy.
Wiping down the relative components I noticed the main spindle had a few marks it shouldnt so I cleaned the bearings in the headstock and see more scouring than I would like to see.
Not much I can do so I reassemble using engine assembly lube and fit my nice new drive belt. 
But when I tensioned it up it snapped the left hand thread side of the turnbuckle adjuster.
Off to a bloke who has left handed SAE taps.
During the time it took to get that back I decided to replace all the felts that provide lubrication on the lathe so ordered a set on Ebay, lathe felt is not cheap.
The wear in the bearings was bugging me so yesterday I pulled the main spindle out and today took it to an engineer to get it cleaned up and he asked if I could remove the bearing so he could clean them up as well. Being cast iron and press fitted to the lathe over 70 years ago I just knew it would not be a successful job removing them so instead I decided to remove the headstock.
This will be easy as I can see and access one bolt at the rear so the front will be just as easy, no I had to unbolt the lathe form the bench and slide it down to clear the bench so I could access the bolt. Unbolting the lathe was not that easy as I has sealed it too the tray between it and the bench so oil would not leak through the bolt holes. I will just be sealing the bolts next time. Out with the blade to slice as much as I could and chisel to remove as much as possible then a crowbar levering on a block of wood with rubber pads under the lathe bed and it all came free.
Last bolt removed and tomorrow with all the parts of the headstock I am taking it to the engineer so he can do his best job to clean it up, set the shims and get it running sweetly.
At present I have a lathe bed with cross feed and tailstock and the motor which I noticed the cable between it and the forward/ reverse switch had a squashed bit that had been running warm so I will need to renew the cable as well, but as we well know that is easy.

A few photos for your pleasure. Apparently this is the reason for the longitudinal grooves courtesy of practicalmachinist.com
"Hydrodynamic or oil wedge bearings are either segmented with free segments or they are grooved laterally. These bearings are not usually true round on the inside, their shape is made so as to cause the oil to come to wedge points creating very high pressures that keep the journal centered when it is rotating."

IMG_5275.jpg

IMG_5276.jpg

IMG_5277.jpg

IMG_5278.jpg

If only I had too much time.
Started on a new film last week so I am not time rich.
But because I am employed it is a good time to send out the parts to be fixed.
Grabbed an hour last night when I got home to take the headstock off.

NZ is back in a nationwide lockdown so day one was spent dismantling the lathe and giving it a good clean.
Craig Charles Funk and Soul playing on the computer, 7 cans of engine degreaser and a pile of rags and all the parts are looking nice and clean.
Overhaul kit ordered which is mainly new felt seals.
Round honing stone ordered to take the high spots off the spindle bearings which are cast in the head not pressed as i first thought.
Pack of different thickness shim steel ordered.
All the orders are from overseas.
Have to wait till we drop a level in lockdown so I can pick up the spindle and buy a replacement 5 core cable from the switch to  motor.

Looking promising! 

Welcome to the club, we went from zero  cases to 20+ courtesy of NSW furniture deliveries not complying with the rules, were holding at around 20 with 20,000 in house isolation, but nearly all today's cases in isolation  but NSW didn't lock down quick enough today 633, NZ and Aus other states know only way is a quick lock down! Hopefully we'll be out in 2 weeks!

Presumably same as ours someone cheated eg in our case 3 furniture removalists and a family who didn’t isolate, after coming into Vic from Sydney went shopping!

Most of our cases are Nth & West of the city but edging closer to the SE. Where we live, in Dingley Village we could pull up the draw bridges as were isolated by an big small plane airport, golf courses, Metro Park, and 2 freeways, a container across the road at each entrance and we’re safe!!!!

An acquaintance works an doctor's practice. A woman came in for something or other and they did a Covid test on her  as part of the routine... she was positive (and had been on vacation...) .

The acquaintance went shopping on her lunch break and saw the SAME woman shopping... since she didn't want to cause a scene she asked the store mgmt to make an announcement. They basically asked for anyone who knows they are positive but are shopping to come to the information desk...

Nine people showed up!

• Sad 1

Australia has a very strange Covid policy - can someone from Oz explain what their policy is?   I am puzzled, not critical!

As an isolated island, like NZ, Australia has closed its borders to the nasty, infected world.   Fair doos!     But the only viable indigenous vaccine proposed (from the U of Queensland) turned out to interfere with HIV tests, and was abandoned.  Australia has set up an AstraZeneca production facility, but it is making only a quarter of a million doses a week.     Only 20% of Austrailans are doubly vaccinated, and at that rate  it will be four years before they are all done. Today, the Australian Gov is being criticised for buying Pfizer vaccine from Covax, the org set up by the UN to provide vaccine for the undeveloped, poor countries of the world.

Why is it buying in the 'charity market'?   Surely Australia can afford to invest its money in a home facilty, and ramp up production?      The UK has three times more people and more than  two thirds of us are fully vaccinated, so that we are now vaccinating the 16-18 year olds, and discussing the case for younger people.

John

Unfortunately we in NZ are also a bit behind in the vaccinations.
We didn't have covid in the country so went down the list for countries' to be supplied with Pfizer.
I am 56 and only became eligible for my first jab two Fridays ago, I received it for the following Saturday and my next one is early October. A nice 8 weeks between. NZ is now rolling out vaccinations to lower age groups, medical conditions and occupations override age groups. Anyone whose work involves the border is/was a priority but you still get slip ups.

Below is a comparison of lock downs between NZ and NSW.
You can see why people are a bit upset with NSW Claytons lockdown

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/126107464/how-new-zealands-level-4-compares-to-nsws-strict-covid19-lockdown

You have to understand the Aus constitution and politics, ie Federal and State Governments, the Federal Govt are responsible for providing the vaccines the States for getting them in arms! the States are constitutional independent and control their borders, hence the difference in lock down approaches. NSW is using the Army (Federal help) to help at Vacc and Testing Centres and check those who should be isolating, but our State Vic virtually NO  army help very minor input clerical only for some reason our State Govt must consider it be a take over risk Ha!

Re Medical eg hospitals, the Federal Govt supply the funds the States run the hospitals and policy, Medical centres are I think directed by the Federal Govt thro Medicare they reimburse the doctors. Re aged care private are governed by the Federal Govt, but the public system is State Govt controlled, CONFUSED we are!  

Re vaccinations AZ is produced locally and is readily available to anyone who wants it NOW no limits on availability or age, but because of the blood clotting issue (minor) only over 60's are fully recommended, so Pfizer has been rolled out initially to the 40 to 60's then now 18 to 40's, & some States now children, but due to the need to import and limited availability its slower than ideal, BUT anyone can have AZ now!

Due to our holding Covid at bay or under control last year we were not it the disasterous state the UK was, remember we only had 800 deaths mostly over 70's. It's fair to say the Federal Govt put all their eggs in one basket ie AZ and were slow in implementing vaccinations, then the perceived blood clots issue arose which made the public scared so take up was initially slow but now increasing, appears AZ with blood clots isn't as frequent as women on the pill! Re Pfizer I'm told on pg20 it advises it can affect the heart, so there's risks with everything, ironically the biggest risk is Covid!

Re the vaccinated population, I believe Vic is around 40%, NSW which is a Covid hot spot slightly higher, little Tassie leads the way, the aim is 70% by mid Oct. The Fed Govt has proiritised NSW with Pfizer as it should be, but in reality  other states are getting their share, re Pfizer availabiliy some million doses were purchased from Poland (nearing expiry date) remember 3 to 5 months ago Europe confiscated/vetoed export of vaccines to Aus for their own supply! My son and daughter and SIL all early 40's have had their Pfizers (both), my daughter in law (Taiwanese) can now get Pfizer she's late 30's, she's held out for Pfizer because her mother died of an aneurysm in her 30's, understandable!

On the news this morning it appears our cases have risen today (were in the 20's, with most in isolation) due to a freelancing positive prostitute making hay why she could!!! BUGGER!

Whoever previously owned my lathe did a lot of shiny yellow metal machining.
Cleaned the tailstock today and every piece that I clean ends up with a grimey liquid and yellow metal in the tray.

I was taught that whenever you finish the job or day you cleaned and oiled the lathe.
Obviously this is not a common thing.

Relevelled the bed but will have to unbolt it when the headstock goes back on but it should be an easy job.
If I run out of machine work I will have to start on the Vitesse again!

15 minutes ago, ahebron said:

Whoever previously owned my lathe did a lot of shiny yellow metal machining.
Cleaned the tailstock today and every piece that I clean ends up with a grimey liquid and yellow metal in the tray.

I was taught that whenever you finish the job or day you cleaned and oiled the lathe.
Obviously this is not a common thing.

Relevelled the bed but will have to unbolt it when the headstock goes back on but it should be an easy job.
If I run out of machine work I will have to start on the Vitesse again!

Hi

Your not the only one. I "aquired" a 1945 Drumond Lathe, when a Dairy Closed over 30 years ago. Circa 2014 I dragged it out of storage and gave it a clean up to put it back in use. The amount of Crap I cleaned off some of which was almost medieval! was not amusing. It`s still not the best of condition, but hopefully when the 13/60 is finished I`ll give it a real "Birthday". I want to move it to it`s own position and reclaim some of the bench, but is conditional upon a re think about the "stuff" in the garage.

Hey Ho, As my Dad would have said "it`ll keep you out of Pub`s, and off street corners!"😀

Pete