TR4A Dove Conversion Registration HKV 103E

As a very new member, I trust this is the right area in which to post my information.

During a recent Internet search, I was amazed and delighted to see photos of HKV 103E at this club’s 2019 meeting at the Stratford-upon-Avon racecourse.

As the first owner of this TR, I still have the original sales invoice dated 23 February 1967, which included Registration to 31.5.67 for £6 8 Shillings; Number Plates for £2 5 Shillings and 4 Gallons of Petrol for £1 2 Shillings and 4 Pence. Happy days!!

In April 1967, the car was exported to Gibraltar for my 2 years tour with the Royal Navy, where it was Registered as G24116. Very sadly, at that time Spain closed the border with Gibraltar, so the only ‘exercise’ the car received was weekend circuits of the ‘Rock’ when the tunnels were opened to traffic. The car was then returned to the UK about April 1969 via RAF Transport Command for the princely sum of £25.

Shortly after returning home, I contacted Dove’s of Wimbledon to enquire about their conversion of TRs, only to be told that this option finished a couple of years previously. However, they still had a hardtop, rear door and glazing on a shelf in their store, which was offered to me for £25 if I wished to collect it. So, it was this conversion that I carried out during 1969 in the workshops at the Faslane Naval Base, thus making HKV 103E the very last Dove conversion and possibly quite important in the history of the TR4/4A.

On reflection, as I have thought through these issues, I realize that a more comprehensive anecdotal report might be appreciated by Club Members and perhaps the wider Triumph community. That being the case, I would happily undertake the project to ensure this unique history was preserved for posterity.

If the present owner would like to contact me, I can pass on the car’s full history during its first 4 years of life, and perhaps discuss the above offer.

Peter Fall

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Peter, welcome to the forum and thanks for the history.  Shame I don't own the car as I love that sort thing ..and I'm rather fond of the Dove.

Unfortunately I don't have the first 32 years of history for my own car (a TR4A). Should you write a more comprehensive anecdotal report then I would certainly enjoy reading it, and I'm sure the magazine would be glad for it too. 

Btw you may want to edit / remove your phone number off your post, you don't know who will pick it up.  Anyone can contact you through private messages anyway.

Best regards, and we look forward to hearing from you some more,

Pete.