Draining my Herald diff

jagnut66

3 hours ago, poppyman said:

Just suck a bit of engine cleaner or a bit through it Mike to clean it. It will work to refill it but will take just as long

Hi Tony, 

As I don't have any engine cleaner to hand I flushed it through with the same oil as I refilled the diff with: EP90.

Also, this way, I'm not risking mixing the oil with any cleaning fluids.

As to time to refill, I was impressed! 😃

It only took as long as it took me to make a sandwich and eat it.

To be fair, this may have been because, for refilling, I removed the (possibly flow restricting) piece of brake pipe, that I had pushed into the end of the suction pipe (as recommended above), to aid my accessing as far into the diff as possible to remove the old oil.

By the time I'd finished my sandwich it was flooding back out. Fortunately I suspect it looked worse than it was, as the level indicated on the side of the plastic EP90 container (originally 5 litres) showed that I had probably used not much in excess of the 0.70 litres capacity indicated in the manual. 

Anyway I removed the filling pipe and the backflow increased slightly, so I got the plug back in and screwed down tight quickly.

I would now thoroughly recommend this little suction pump.

Best wishes,

Mike.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jagnut66 said:

Hi Tony, 

As I don't have any engine cleaner to hand I flushed it through with the same oil as I refilled the diff with: EP90.

Also, this way, I'm not risking mixing the oil with any cleaning fluids.

As to time to refill, I was impressed! 😃

It only took as long as it took me to make a sandwich and eat it.

To be fair, this may have been because, for refilling, I removed the (possibly flow restricting) piece of brake pipe, that I had pushed into the end of the suction pipe (as recommended above), to aid my accessing as far into the diff as possible to remove the old oil.

By the time I'd finished my sandwich it was flooding back out. Fortunately I suspect it looked worse than it was, as the level indicated on the side of the plastic EP90 container (originally 5 litres) showed that I had probably used not much in excess of the 0.70 litres capacity indicated in the manual. 

Anyway I removed the filling pipe and the backflow increased slightly, so I got the plug back in and screwed down tight quickly.

I would now thoroughly recommend this little suction pump.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Already on my shopping list Mike, always good know when something works well.

Tony.

My oil sucking device has now arrived and will be using it on my diff soon.

A friend who also has a classic car has been trying to convince me to use molyslip/liquid moly when I refill it.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts/experience/opinions etc regarding this. 

4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i dont have a like for addatives , but up the ep90 to a ep140 will gain less noise and help the life 

ive just bought 5 ltrs on the smith and allan link earlier 

should last many years maybe sell it at the pub meets in bottles

pete

Ha ha. 

9 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

i dont have a like for addatives , but up the ep90 to a ep140 will gain less noise and help the life 

ive just bought 5 ltrs on the smith and allan link earlier 

should last many years maybe sell it at the pub meets in bottles

pete

Lucky you; as the Mountain wouldn't go to Lindsay I had to go to the mountain ie James Paddocks in Chester and buy some - bit of a '*******' moment when I arrived and their shop was shut due to Covid. Unfortunately they'd left the back door open so I was able to nobble one of the staff who sold me two bottles.

17 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Lucky you; as the Mountain wouldn't go to Lindsay I had to go to the mountain ie James Paddocks in Chester and buy some - bit of a '*******' moment when I arrived and their shop was shut due to Covid. Unfortunately they'd left the back door open so I was able to nobble one of the staff who sold me two bottles.

They are "working" out of the back door at present. My Grandson lives "just up the road" and as he was comming to us anyway Tuesday Last. He went to Padocks for me and picked up the replacement Side light and two seals I had ordered and paid for. Saved me the Postage. (Mind, he cost me more than that in Beer!)

Pete

On 25/08/2021 at 12:10, cliff.b said:

A friend who also has a classic car has been trying to convince me to use molyslip/liquid moly when I refill it

Don't know if it will do any harm in the diff. but defiantly NOT to be used in an overdrive or anything that uses friction to work.

Regards

Paul

Decades ago, when I was even greener than I am today, Lucas Services, who used to do our MOT's, advised the Herald needed a new Diff (along with two new rear hub bearings which they then couldn't get out even with multiple tons fo puller force). Of course it wasn't needed, but because of my stupidity I agreed and they too, put in a Diff with no drain plug, about which I was later most aggrieved . . . why wouldn't you . . . ??!