Tool for removing switches from dash

jagnut66

Hi, 

I am going to be replacing the wood on my dash, so need to remove the switches. 

I have the ring (read hollow tube) spanner with two 'prongs' for removing what I would consider the most common type of dash switch fitting, however, until I bought my Triumph, I hadn't encountered the type of screw on ring shown in the picture below. 

Does anyone know where I can obtain the correct tool to remove and then reinstate these with?

I could use the 'blunt end of a screwdriver method' to remove them but I don't want to damage my replacement dash's wood putting them back.

Many thanks,

Mike.

DSCF3924(1).JPG

Here's my Tools ex USA around 15years ago,  when postage was cheap! Beautifully made and used frequently wouldn't be without them, avoids dash damage using a screwdriver!  The prongs have never marked the dash whilst rotating they must be so well engineered.

Large 6 pin is 1in OD, intermediate 7/8in OD, and 2 pin Ignition Switch 3/4in OD.

Triumph Dash Knob Rose Tools.JPG

i made one  from bit of copper tube just filled it to retain some lugs 

the marks on   the  veneer show the skid marks from previous Oops!

often worth a bit of masking  same Oops often happens with aerials and wing mirror holes 

tip there is a wad of masking over the end of the file 

Pete

9 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Here's my Tools ex USA around 15years ago

Found a seller on eBay selling loads of bezel tools, so I have messaged him with a picture of the bezel and await a reply. 

They are 5 hours behind us in South Carolina, so maybe a few hours.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Well the chap in South Carolina can't help. 😐

So if anyone can let me have a link to a suitable tool I'd be very grateful..............

3 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

she had a pair of pliers that ended in round tongs that are very fine. It opens wider than an inch and I used that without damaging anything

Or indeed a pair of these pliers.....

Thanks and best wishes,

Mike.

41 minutes ago, jagnut66 said:

Or indeed a pair of these pliers.....

Thanks and best wishes,

Mike.

If using pliers they have to open quite wide to grip the bezel, so often only grip the top edge and therefore slide off too easily - Pete's Oops being the result.

Get an old set of fine nosed pliers and bend the tips outwards then back to straight again as in the old familiar 'road narrows' roadsign:

1159px-UK_traffic_sign_516_svg.jpg.5fce11786fd93e006ab20db498612a7a.jpg This way the legs will take a more vertical / straight-on grip and will hold much better. You won't be able to use them for anything else, though...

22 minutes ago, poppyman said:

There are these on fleabay Mike.

Thanks Tony but those are the type I have already, I need one that will safely undo the other type of bezel used, as below.

8 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Get an old set of fine nosed pliers and bend the tips outwards then back to straight again as in the old familiar 'road narrows' roadsign:

That may be what I end up having to try......

Best wishes,

Mike.

Multi slotted bezel (2).JPG

59 minutes ago, jagnut66 said:

Thanks Tony but those are the type I have already, I need one that will safely undo the other type of bezel used, as below.

That may be what I end up having to try......

Best wishes,

Mike.

Multi slotted bezel (2).JPG

Sorry Mike, i need to concentrate more :)  Colin's idea sounds good, i have used a pair of 90 deg internal circlip pliers before now on switch nuts with masking tape to avoid mishaps.

Tony. 

Mike I referenced my records & I found when I purchased the ignition switch 2 prong tool (2013)the sellers ebay name was 'custommachinecomponents' with a website ref jrivinius@sc.rr.com   the tool was called a switch tool Lucas MG Triumphetc, ebay item 200745933556, cost $15.US plus postage.

Cannot remember if it was the same company I brought the multi prong units from.

2 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Mike I referenced my records & I found when I purchased the ignition switch 2 prong tool (2013)the sellers ebay name was 'custommachinecomponents'

Small world, that's who I messaged on eBay earlier and got a 'sorry but no idea' from, thanks anyway Peter.

Best wishes,

Mike.

22 minutes ago, DVD3500 said:

I got the last one I had off by using penetrating fluid and wearing latex gloves.... it was only finger tight...

That has jolted the brain more than this morning's coffee - if you can get access to the rear of the knob behind the dash, sometimes there's a hexagon nut which can be undone, but sometimes just pushing the assembly forwards against the dash from behind can compress it and allow the silver bezel a little bit of freedom to turn. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Reg Smeeton said:

I do what Casper suggested and use the pronged spanner that came with my angle grinder, it's a perfect fit.

17 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Looks to be a good job, but coating those pins with insulating tape might give better grip, and save the chrome

17 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Electrical heatshrink. Got it covering so many tools. Grips well and when it wears off simply replace.

I've got one of those and some heatshrink, I'll give that a try before I 'reshape' the pliers. Thanks for the tips.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Tried the grinders tool (as pictured above) and it is a very good fit in these bezels, even started undoing the other one. 

I have a spare (differently shaped) tool for the ginder, so this one is now reserved for the Heralds instrument bezels.

Many thanks,

Mike.

• Like 1