EP140 IN A GT6 diff. Which one in particular?

chrishawley

My newly reconditioned diff (GT mk3) is largely ok but a tad noisy nonetheless. I figure that changing from the current straight EP90 to a 140 won't do any harm.

Rather than spending hours agonising over 'tech specs' could anyone advise on a suitable option/brand to use?

I take it a GL4 should be used rather than GL5. ??

And would it be better to use a straight 140 (e.g. Castrol) or a multigrade (e.g. 80w140).

Any advice appreciated.

Oh, and would 2 liters do it for a drain and refill.?

Cheers

C

The GL4 vGL5 is tricky. In a gearbox, it MUST be GL4. In a diff, you could use either as long as the GL5 is yellow metal safe, most are but needs to be checked (often direct with the manufacturer)

A multigrade is preferable, so it is less viscous when cold, but does not thin down so much with temp. (ie acts like an 85 when cold, but 140 when hot) as this will put less strain on the diff.

Marcus recommended a penrite oil as being VERY good after his testing, lasted well when used very hard. Penrite Pro 80/140 fully synthetic. He found other oils degraded quickly, but I haven't had that issue, and I drive my car pretty hard (trackdays etc as well as long motorway stints at speeds that won't quite flash cameras), faster on autobahns. 

The other oil which I have not used, but have some on the shelf for my Dolomite axle, is a Moss one so designed for "our" cars

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173396061387?hash=item285f35eccb:g:8ugAAOSwVxpbPn1D

I believe the diff capacity is a pint.

I've just obtained two of these from Paddocks:

https://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/penrite-differential-oil-1-litre-2

(Given that they won't post overseas I had to drive to their shop and buy in person... long story and a longer journey!!)

I haven't tried it yet, that's for the weekend, but I'll report on how it performs.

5 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I've just obtained two of these from Paddocks:

https://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/penrite-differential-oil-1-litre-2

(Given that they won't post overseas I had to drive to their shop and buy in person... long story and a longer journey!!)

I haven't tried it yet, that's for the weekend, but I'll report on how it performs.

Colin, the same one s I linked to. Dynolite has a link to moss (owned by them? or at least specified?? something along those lines) 

It is a GL5 spec, but yellow metal safe. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That has always defeated me. NI in my view IS the UK. Its like saying they won`t post post North of the Humber?. Totally Daft!. I do know a lot charge extra to the Scotish Highlands, But that I am told is down to Cal-Mac`s freight rates?.

Ive had Thinner posted (well courierd) out to me!. And That`s Highly Flamable

Pete

1 minute ago, PeteH said:

That has always defeated me. NI in my view IS the UK. Its like saying they won`t post post North of the Humber?. Totally Daft!. I do know a lot charge extra to the Scotish Highlands, But that I am told is down to Cal-Mac`s freight rates?.

Ive had Thinner posted (well courierd) out to me!. And That`s Highly Flamable

Pete

Some girls will, some girls won't, as they say. TSSC Shop won't post paint but sellers on eBay do quite happily, and Paddocks who are normally very helpful won't post diff oil, yet I've had engine oil delivered from the mainland before. Those who won't tell me it's to do with travel over water, so I just respect their regulations and buy elsewhere. (Never got any road-wheel white at Malvern, it was on my shopping list but no-one selling)

5 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Those who won't tell me it's to do with travel over water,

Yet, "we" took Tank Trailers to Scandinavia on a regular run. Many of which where "hazchem"?. So there is little or no "logic" in the system!

Pete.

36 minutes ago, Iain T said:

I use Redline Shockproof 75W140, it was recommended on this Forum. 

Iain 

Hello 

I use this oil as well and have done for about 8 years! it seem to come out the same colour as when it went in!

Its a bit expensive but so is a diff rebuild!

Roger