New shock absorber advice

I want to replace the shockers on my Spit and while I have heard multiple positive reports for Konis, I would appreciate any feedback on other brands. Obviously Gaz & Spax but also seen Avo specifically marketed as well suited.

Also, has anyone fitted Koni Classics and if so, what is the difference compared to a normal Koni?

25 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

Also, has anyone fitted Koni Classics and if so, what is the difference compared to a normal Koni?

I'll make a guess here but is it possibly just a range made for Classics (Imperial rather than metric, does that matter?) but in a range of sizes for older cars? No difference internally?

Is there much of a difference in price?

12 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'll make a guess here but is it possibly just a range made for Classics (Imperial rather than metric, does that matter?) but in a range of sizes for older cars? No difference internally?

Is there much of a difference in price?

The ones I saw were about £30 a pair less expensive. It does say "designed to bring modern technology to older cars" but doesn't explain if they are different to the normal Konis.

Avoid AVO unless they have sorted the bush issue (narrow housing for the bush, so it cuts into it)

They are all of a muchness, similar workings. I believe Koni work differently. And certainly have a reputation for being better. Seem to last very well, from personal experience on my car (OK, they were on my Vitesse, now my Spitfire 25years and 75k+ miles)

I wonder if Classic is just the range, and the other ads don't mention it? 

45 minutes ago, clive said:

Avoid AVO unless they have sorted the bush issue (narrow housing for the bush, so it cuts into it)

They are all of a muchness, similar workings. I believe Koni work differently. And certainly have a reputation for being better. Seem to last very well, from personal experience on my car (OK, they were on my Vitesse, now my Spitfire 25years and 75k+ miles)

I wonder if Classic is just the range, and the other ads don't mention it? 

The classics are a black finish and have a classics logo on them

IMG_20210820_104836_215.jpg

Got a pair of kyb rears for my spit. Very highly recommended here but now as rare as rocking horse ****. Sadly, I still (regular contributors - yes, I know) have to fit them. Currently running on a set of modern 'Munroes'. They do the job, the posh stuff like Spax, Koni etc, would just be lost on me, barbarian that I am.

Edit - Just checked and there are a couple going on fleabay for £46.00ish each. Don't know about the fronts.

Edited by Badwolf
Update

The PO of my Vitesse fitted AVO's and were knackered after 6-7 years and about 5k miles. I fitted GAZ adjustable all round with ride height on the fronts. I like the ability to adjust which I especially felt on the rears. I like it stiff up front and a soggy bottom! Been on 3 years but only 3k miles. 

Iain 

PS

Gazzards (GAZ, by coincidence my old factory was on the same estate) will sell direct. Unfortunately they didn't have any in stock and no idea when the next batch were scheduled so I bought from Rimmer when on offer. 

23 hours ago, Iain T said:

The PO of my Vitesse fitted AVO's and were knackered after 6-7 years and about 5k miles. I fitted GAZ adjustable all round with ride height on the fronts. I like the ability to adjust which I especially felt on the rears. I like it stiff up front and a soggy bottom! Been on 3 years but only 3k miles. 

Iain 

PS

Gazzards (GAZ, by coincidence my old factory was on the same estate) will sell direct. Unfortunately they didn't have any in stock and no idea when the next batch were scheduled so I bought from Rimmer when on offer. 

"I like it stiff up front and a soggy bottom!"

My Wife is the same lol

• Haha 1