Thread on starter solenoid?

Colin Lindsay

Before I go bother the In-Laws on Monday, does anyone know the thread of the square Lucas starter solenoid terminals on the Herald family? It's neither metric nor UNF and as the cables have worn some of the threads flat I'd like to repair them, but need to identify the correct die. It's a red-button version so I want to reuse it, but it's not the same thread as on the modern round push-button versions; I've already checked that.

1E775542-5667-4C5C-9F59-DDB05422604E_1_105_c.jpg.d79aee2ff5e1dd7c4c0024748d8edab5.jpg

55Deg Whitworth Thread?. I`m guessing?. Possibly 5/16" or 3/8" Whitworth?. I still have a bunch of brass whit; nut and bolts kicking about and they look similar.

I`ll have a look in the morning, currently all my starter kit is in the shed in one of the "crates". and no lighting.

Pete

Thanks Pete. It's a fairly coarse thread, seems to be 5/16 (8mm?) but nothing I have matches it, and if I visit the In-Laws they'll no doubt have the die I need but will take hours confirming the thread first, which always makes me feel guilty that I'm holding them back from earning money.

Any Idea of the age of the solenoid?. Circa 1960`s manufacturers in many industries started to produce and or use UN(C)(F) threads?. This is a 60degree thread form, It "co-existed" with the 55degree "whitworth" standard for a number of years. It was a right Headache to those of us who where repairing both modern and older machines.

Pete

well maybe the memory fog i did say 1/4 whit which is same spanner af as 5/16 BSF  

so i wasnt far off Ha !

it was a common size you will find the starter is the same  , one spanner would undo all the main cables 

form bat terminals, solenoid and starter   all on family of fixings ....simpluze  what 

Pete

BSF?. At second look, maybe it does look less coarse than BSW. still a 55deg thread form. As Pete said, the older spanner sizes could be a bit confusing, And then you had "full" Nuts. They where a spanner size larger than the more common  ones you come across. Allegedly they where in general use prior to the begining of WW2 the size was reduced as they used less material. So Grandad told me!.

Pete