Falken tyres on Spitfire

• cliff.b changed the title to Falken tyres on Spitfire

extract from the web 

Are Falken Tyres Any Good? A Quick Review

Choosing the right tyre brand for your car can range from confusing through to a matter of looks and prestige but for the average motorist, the key ‘drivers’ are usually cost first and foremost, followed by safety and performance.

Everyone knows the name of the big brand tyres – Michelin, Goodyear & Pirelli, but they also come with a bigger price tag. Many motorists shop around for a better price and what could be better value and look at less well-known makes.

So, are Falken tyres any good? Falken tyres may not be a name you are familiar with. These tyres are of Japanese origin and Falken tyres are owned by Sumitomo Rubber Industries (SRI) - a newer company than some of the other Asian tyre producers. Falken was launched in 1983 in Japan and was introduced to the North American market in 1985 and into Europe in 1988, when Falken opened an office in Offenbach in Germany. Next was the US in 1991. Motorsports sponsorship started in the early 21st century with some track involvement but the main European launch came in 2008 with the founding of Falken Tyre Europe GmbH with European distribution following in 2010.

What are some of Falken’s best selling tyres?

• WildPeak A/T3W  - Falken’s most popular all-terrain all-season tyre designed for light trucks and passenger SUVs for drivers who are looking for good performance and handling across a variety of terrains but with a stable on-road performance for standard driving
  • Ziex ZE950 All-season high-performance tyre – one of Falken’s best-sellers designed for sports cars and crossover vehicles and focusing on three key criteria which are performance, stable handling and longevity of mileage
  • Sincera SN250 All-season long-lasting performance touring tyre – popular for the superior ride and world-class durability, this tyre also offers solid performance throughout all the seasons and different driving conditions

In 2018, Falken ran a high-profile TV advertising campaign claiming that their tyres were the ultimate to cope with the vagaries of the British weather where you can have heat and rain in quick succession and at unexpected times of the year. At the same time, the Falken Azenis FK510 was receiving rave reviews from the website, Tyrereviews.com and the German magazine, Auto Motor Sport. Auto Motor Sport ranked the Azensis FK510 the best tyre for lateral aquaplaning and overall excellent wet weather performance, during its annual Summer Tyres Test on a selection of tyres from eleven different manufacturers - tested on an Audi A3. With a great price, the tyre was rated as Best Value Summer Tyre for 2018. Tyrereviews.co.uk was hugely complimentary saying, “you gain in savings but don’t sacrifice anything else; this tyre has incredible wet performance and drive performance.”

Are Falken tyres budget?

Falken tyres are considered to be a mid-range product in the tyre market, so the pricing is affordable and the tyres deliver a performance which can rival some of the premium manufacturers without the high price tag. Unlike some of its direct competitors in the mid-range tyre market, Falken is also involved in motorsports both as a competitor and sponsor which gives them a leading edge against similarly priced rivals. Falken takes its track learning from racing and uses it for the development of ultra high performance or UHP tyres for the road. It’s very successful Azenis FK453 has been directly derived from motorsports activities and offers truly excellent performance for drivers looking for a sportier drive, which can hold its own in wet conditions. Grip, braking performance and high-speed stability were the key focus in the development of these tyres, plus a reduction in noise levels. If you want something a little less sporty, a tyre that is more of an all-rounder for general family motoring, then take a look at the Azenis FK510 which Falken launched in the Spring of 2016 and which slots nicely into the upper end of Falken’s UHP range. This tyre offers a more general performance for the requirements of the average household plus plenty of driver comfort. The Azenis FK510 was ‘Highly Recommended’ by the German motor magazine, Automagazin.

The FK510 has been developed using a ground-breaking compound produced with the assistance of 4D Nano Design Technology, offering superb grip and maximum tyre wear resistance meaning these tyres score highly when it comes to longevity, a key factor for many motorists when they make their new tyre selection. The FK510 will provide all the sporty driving characteristics you could want, with new pattern technology offering outstanding directional stability, driving dynamics and fuel economy but will still behave well for general daily motoring in a range of driving conditions.

Care for your tyres

A little driver self-help and awareness can ensure your tyre has its maximum l

4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

extract from the web 

Choosing the right tyre brand for your car can range from confusing through to a matter of looks and prestige but for the average motorist, the key ‘drivers’ are usually cost first and foremost, followed by safety and performance.

Everyone knows the name of the big brand tyres – Michelin, Goodyear & Pirelli, but they also come with a bigger price tag. Many motorists shop around for a better price and what could be better value and look at less well-known makes.

So, are Falken tyres any good? Falken tyres may not be a name you are familiar with. These tyres are of Japanese origin and Falken tyres are owned by Sumitomo Rubber Industries (SRI) - a newer company than some of the other Asian tyre producers. Falken was launched in 1983 in Japan and was introduced to the North American market in 1985 and into Europe in 1988, when Falken opened an office in Offenbach in Germany. Next was the US in 1991. Motorsports sponsorship started in the early 21st century with some track involvement but the main European launch came in 2008 with the founding of Falken Tyre Europe GmbH with European distribution following in 2010.

What are some of Falken’s best selling tyres?

• WildPeak A/T3W  - Falken’s most popular all-terrain all-season tyre designed for light trucks and passenger SUVs for drivers who are looking for good performance and handling across a variety of terrains but with a stable on-road performance for standard driving
  • Ziex ZE950 All-season high-performance tyre – one of Falken’s best-sellers designed for sports cars and crossover vehicles and focusing on three key criteria which are performance, stable handling and longevity of mileage
  • Sincera SN250 All-season long-lasting performance touring tyre – popular for the superior ride and world-class durability, this tyre also offers solid performance throughout all the seasons and different driving conditions

In 2018, Falken ran a high-profile TV advertising campaign claiming that their tyres were the ultimate to cope with the vagaries of the British weather where you can have heat and rain in quick succession and at unexpected times of the year. At the same time, the Falken Azenis FK510 was receiving rave reviews from the website, Tyrereviews.com and the German magazine, Auto Motor Sport. Auto Motor Sport ranked the Azensis FK510 the best tyre for lateral aquaplaning and overall excellent wet weather performance, during its annual Summer Tyres Test on a selection of tyres from eleven different manufacturers - tested on an Audi A3. With a great price, the tyre was rated as Best Value Summer Tyre for 2018. Tyrereviews.co.uk was hugely complimentary saying, “you gain in savings but don’t sacrifice anything else; this tyre has incredible wet performance and drive performance.”

Are Falken tyres budget?

Falken tyres are considered to be a mid-range product in the tyre market, so the pricing is affordable and the tyres deliver a performance which can rival some of the premium manufacturers without the high price tag. Unlike some of its direct competitors in the mid-range tyre market, Falken is also involved in motorsports both as a competitor and sponsor which gives them a leading edge against similarly priced rivals. Falken takes its track learning from racing and uses it for the development of ultra high performance or UHP tyres for the road. It’s very successful Azenis FK453 has been directly derived from motorsports activities and offers truly excellent performance for drivers looking for a sportier drive, which can hold its own in wet conditions. Grip, braking performance and high-speed stability were the key focus in the development of these tyres, plus a reduction in noise levels. If you want something a little less sporty, a tyre that is more of an all-rounder for general family motoring, then take a look at the Azenis FK510 which Falken launched in the Spring of 2016 and which slots nicely into the upper end of Falken’s UHP range. This tyre offers a more general performance for the requirements of the average household plus plenty of driver comfort. The Azenis FK510 was ‘Highly Recommended’ by the German motor magazine, Automagazin.

The FK510 has been developed using a ground-breaking compound produced with the assistance of 4D Nano Design Technology, offering superb grip and maximum tyre wear resistance meaning these tyres score highly when it comes to longevity, a key factor for many motorists when they make their new tyre selection. The FK510 will provide all the sporty driving characteristics you could want, with new pattern technology offering outstanding directional stability, driving dynamics and fuel economy but will still behave well for general daily motoring in a range of driving conditions.

Care for your tyres

A little driver self-help and awareness can ensure your tyre has its maximum l

Sounds like they are better than the ones I currently have lol

Just now, cliff.b said:
24 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

come on own up whats fitted then ???

Pete

edit   go back to aviva's  gts post  and this video of a wet test on budget tyres   does say whos so some of this could be staged 

bit frightening 

The car came with 185/60 High Fly HF201 tyres on the front. Reading revues online and with the benefit of personal experience I would suggest that they are aptly named

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

does say whos so some of this could be staged

Oh, really?!! The test is between Continental and A. N. Other. The test is staged by Continental and in the words of Mandy Rice Davies "They would say that wouldn't they"

The fact that the other tyre is not named makes it a worthless test, they could be 30 years old off an old Triumph! :o

Doug

Hifly is an independent tyre brand which is characterised by its high level of workmanship and whose products are available for a price which does not damage your finances. They are a good choice for drivers seeking budget solutions while still wanting optimal driving parameters (safety and comfort in particular).

Shandong Hengfeng Rubber & Plastic

Hifly Tyres is a sub-brand of Shandong Hengfeng Rubber & Plastic, also referred to simply as 'Hengfeng'. It is a major Chinese conglomerate which, amongst other things, manufactures a range of rubber and plastic tyre products - like Tyres!

14 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Hifly is an independent tyre brand which is characterised by its high level of workmanship and whose products are available for a price which does not damage your finances. They are a good choice for drivers seeking budget solutions while still wanting optimal driving parameters (safety and comfort in particular).

Shandong Hengfeng Rubber & Plastic

Hifly Tyres is a sub-brand of Shandong Hengfeng Rubber & Plastic, also referred to simply as 'Hengfeng'. It is a major Chinese conglomerate which, amongst other things, manufactures a range of rubber and plastic tyre products - like Tyres!

Oh well, I don't suppose replacing them will make any difference then.

You cant get better than optimal 🙄

• Haha 1

I have had HI-Fly on a modern and they were far superior to the Continental Contact crap that were on the car. Never had any problems, but i do drive to the conditions. Getting to old now for excess speed and sideways around corners sadly :( Though i did rather enjoy it my day :) 

Sorry Cliff, Falken do have a good reputation a friend has them on his Stag.

Tony. 

I was looking at Falken Tyres as replacement for the mixed bag of 15 year old ones currently fitted to the 13/60. As and When it gets to that stage!. A couple of guys I correspond with on the  Motorhome sites have them on their Camper Vans, and feed back so far is good?.

Pete

47 minutes ago, poppyman said:

I have had HI-Fly on a modern and they were far superior to the Continental Contact crap that were on the car. Never had any problems, but i do drive to the conditions. Getting to old now for excess speed and sideways around corners sadly :( Though i did rather enjoy it my day :) 

Sorry Cliff, Falken do have a good reputation a friend has them on his Stag.

Tony. 

These Hi-Flys are the HF201  which seem to be particularly cheap and have a lot of very negative reviews.

There are several other types available so perhaps some are better than others. 

I am also changing them to address the tyre width & profile (185/60) which I don't think is ideal. Trying to decide between 165/80s & 175/70s which I believe are almost identical diameter & therefore wall height to the original 155/80s

18 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

what rims width ???  on a 4.5j  the 175 has a lot of wall balloon  fine on a 5 or 5.5 rim 

why not stick to 155 ????   being std  ... if available  

Pete

Yes, the wheels are 4.5J  but I am intending to replace them at some point. I understood the 175s are just about within spec on a 4.5 for now and thinking ahead that I would be able to re-use them on something wider.

I accept that there may be a bit of "balooning" but presume not as much as the current 185/60s which should never have been fitted to these wheels.

6 hours ago, cliff.b said:

I'm not happy with the front tyres on my Spit. Too wide & some budget brand I have never heard of. Local tyre place is recommending Falkens and they are certainly a good price.

Has anyone used them on a Spitfire and if so, how were they?

I have used them in 185/60 13 (ze914 I think) on my spit as trackday tyres. Seemed pretty good. I have seen sn832 on a vitesse on track, a very wet track, and they were brilliant, best tyres used by anybody I reckon.

So impressed I fitted them to my daughters car, and indeed 195/50 15 to my wife's mx5

Other tyres that I could suggest are uniroyals. But you won't go wrong with falken.

Daughters car had hiflys on the front when bought. Terrible things, luckily they wore out very quickly, enough to justify the swap to falken.

I have 65/70R13 Falken on my Spitfire - can't say I have any experience in the wet as such - but dry and cold have been very good. Very satisfied.

Both mine and my daughters daily's are running Michelin Crossclimate 2 and they are suburb tyres - I would say ultimate dry grip is compromised compared to a true summer tyre - but more than adequate - its the cold and wet performance that is exceptional - lots of confidence on bends in the wet - given that I too drive to the conditions you can press on with no drama.

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

Michelin Crossclimate 2 

There are a lot of folk, putting them on their Motorhomes, with an eye on winter use in Europe. Aparently or allegedly they are "legal" under reg`s in some countries that require a "Snow Tyre" in certain conditions?. Fair number of people these days (or at least prior to Covid. did) take their Motorhomes to the Ski Resorts.

Pete

10 hours ago, Anglefire said:

They are classed as a winter tyre. But can be used all year round.  
my current set (except one that had a puncture the other week) have done over 20k miles and still have very good tread. Probably another 10k 

I use crossclimates on my spitfire. But no 13" available, mine are 185/60 14. 

Bought to do a winter trackday, been on ever since. Dry grip is very good, wet performance is good, as is their abilities in cold weather. Not expensive at £200 for the 4 either.

However, when I bought them,  they were being touted as a summer tyre but with winter capabilities. Not as good in winter as a proper snow tyre, but way better than summer tyres. The very slight (not convinced there Iis any) reduction in summer performance is well worth their winter performance.  If that makes sense.

Done about 15k on them, but that includes trackdays and autosolos (which result I high wear rates) but will get renewed over the winter. Or kept as summer tyres for next year...

• Like 1

I'd agree as much as I can about performance in snow - as I can't remember if I've actually driven in snow on them! But as a "winter" tyre they are more than acceptable for the weather we get around here. My wife has a second set of wheels and tyres for the winter - which work really well for her - she just wouldn't go out in the car otherwise and still doesn't in the snow.

Having said that the number of miles that she does these days makes her car a waste of money - does less than my Spitfire!

always run in new tyres , wear the pimples and mould vent sprues from taking charge 

amazed at a silly motoring program last month where the did tests with the stickers left on 

took a while for them to wear off  as proffesionals  rediculas............ and dangerous 

Pete