We need to get our priorities right... :)

Colin Lindsay

Part of the main street in my closest town has been cordoned off due to a potential building collapse.

For some reason the priority of local Police is public safety. Mine is slightly different, but they wouldn't let me enter the area with a ladder and a cordless grinder. My argument that people can be replaced, but a sign like that is no longer made, fell on deaf ears. I don't think I'll watch the footage of the building being demolished. The yard behind was my local tyre-fitters until he moved out some years ago, it would once have been a complete row of terraced buildings, so obviously creating a gap for access to the rear hasn't done that building any good. Wonder if they could save me that part of the front wall? :)

Tandragee-building-collapse.thumb.jpeg.79774b11cd7cb03aed49713ce066c8e3.jpeg

Tandragee-building.thumb.jpeg.c1dd711ab9c2a7a76c1e5225d84d16aa.jpeg

That's a big cordoned off area for one building. A night time visit might get noticed when the angle grinder gets to work. Not worth a criminal record for theft. As chris A said , have a word with the owners and the demolition people.  A deal could be arranged but i suspect you are not the only one eyeing it up! Could end up like monty python and lots of people all arriving at 2 am with angle grinders and ladders in hand 🤣

I really can’t agree with the premise about the ease of replacing people.

I tend towards the Police view regarding public safety, though I do think sometimes there can be a failure to appreciate the  difference between being risk-aware and risk- averse.

With  the greatest of respect Colin,I am sure your family and friends would not, for  an instant accept the idea of  balancing the risk of losing you against  the  dubious gain of saving a rather battered mass- produced old garage sign.

1 hour ago, Unkel Kunkel said:

I really can’t agree with the premise about the ease of replacing people.

I tend towards the Police view regarding public safety, though I do think sometimes there can be a failure to appreciate the  difference between being risk-aware and risk- averse.

With  the greatest of respect Colin,I am sure your family and friends would not, for  an instant accept the idea of  balancing the risk of losing you against  the  dubious gain of saving a rather battered mass- produced old garage sign.

Why is there never a tongue-in-cheek emoji when you need one? :)

UK,

Yes, was about to say.  Colin is a wit and raconteur, stick around we have a few that ain't for you to vent your spleen.

Northern Ireland, Normandie, Isle of Man, Twyford, we are SO international! :lol:

Doug

15 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

We let Welsh people on here?!!!! :o

db

Of course we do. Don't they have a 'leek' as a national emblem, just like Triumphs have 'leaks' as their's.

Ok, I was just about to leave anyway.

So way back, my Son was In the Welsh Hills somewhere on exercise with his T-A unit. So this Big Welsh Brigadier, drives up and promptly opens the boot of his car, removes a pair of "Green Wellies". The whole squad, fell about laughing. The route march got "extended". 🤣.

Pete

Clearly it’s that telephone/power line that’s keeping the large piece of wall from falling inwards. So, as long as that cable is in place you’ll be ok to nip up and cut the sign off. No, I’m not an expert, but I will project when it goes it will be a total building collapse. Given that there are numerous minor earthquakes each day it won’t be long I’m sure!

Some off those roof tiles look like blades ready to slide down a decapitate any erstwhile salvager. Plus that cable is stretched like a bowstring. When it snaps it will be more than just twang. Best just let the sign go. Better be sad and safe.

I don't know what your all on about! There was a house on the a10 leaning over at an alarming rate. It was like it for over ten years before it was knocked down to build a new house. 

Having been to Chester and Shrewsbury recently, and planning a trip to York in October, I'm used to seeing buildings leaning at all sorts of angles.

In the photo above, those are all telephone cables. I managed to find an old photo (from when I was a nipper) and you can see what used to be there. If you locate the low wall (where the white car is parked in the modern photo, which is now beside the library) and work back up, building by building, then where the men with the dog are standing is where the gap is now. That strange unidentified pile of something, above the two children further down, is now the sole electric-car charging point for the area.

9dc6da35a9ba363db8fe34ba2b69499b.thumb.jpg.5fe1e0a7032dfea9cbed9630542f376a.jpg

7 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'm used to seeing buildings leaning at all sorts of angles.

I grew up with this as the local land mark

5_Crooked-Spire-Chesterfield.thumb.jpg.9a851a1534a20064479ecfe92d46b278.jpg

Chesterfield parish church, 1037 AD, spire : 228 feet high, leans 6ft south and 4ft 4in south west.

Caused by the devil sitting on it, allegedly 🙄

17 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Don't forget up norff and in Poppyman's case Welshish (very very ish... well, nowhere near actually))

Don't confuse me with the Welsh BW..... Around here we can read the road signs first time, the Welsh seem to need to be told twice :) 

Tony.