Tracking down a bad earth

MJH2454

Hi, I seem to have a bad earth in the light / indicator circuit, lights and indicators all work fine when operated separately but if I use the indicators with the lights on all 4 indicator lamps flash, the side that is flashing when it shouldn't does have a weaker light output.

I have checked / replaced all the earthing connections from the indicator / side light units, replaced the indicator /side light units for new ones, replaced the immediate earthing connector in the loom. Where willI I find the main earthing point for the indicator /side lights? I have not done any investigation with the wiring on the rear units.

I do not have a hazard flasher unit so the fault is not from there

Thanks

7 minutes ago, MJH2454 said:

Where willI I find the main earthing point for the indicator /side lights?

What car? On quite a few of them the front side and indicator unit is only earthed by its fixing bolts, to the bodywork. Similarly with the rear light clusters on late Spitfires.

I'm slightly surprised by your symptoms - the normal bad earth behaviour is a bit different.

Just now, NonMember said:

What car? On quite a few of them the front side and indicator unit is only earthed by its fixing bolts, to the bodywork. Similarly with the rear light clusters on late Spitfires.

I'm slightly surprised by your symptoms - the normal bad earth behaviour is a bit different.

Sorry, MKIV Spitfire, currently fitted with Fibreglass front quarter panels hence the wired earth, what are your thoughts with my symptoms?

2 minutes ago, MJH2454 said:

what are your thoughts with my symptoms?

Well....

If the indicators work normally in isolation then the bulbs are earthed. If they were earthing through the side lights then the affected indicators would be dim, the rear one would either not flash or flash erratically, and the side lights would all come on or flash.

One way to get symptoms like yours - especially as you have GRP valances and therefore the fixing bolts are not earthed to the body - is if you've swapped the indicator wire with the earth wire. I'm not sure it would be exactly what you have, though.