Satnav advice

Paul H

20 minutes ago, andybeau said:

and always keep an old fashioned map in car just in case.

I'm going down to the Loire tomorrow for a couple of days in the Herald and have a very old Garmin unit (circa 2007?) that I have lifetime updates for, it is so old I could pass it off for original period equipment . This is programmed with my outward and return routes (different in each case). I have printed out copies as a road book. Plus of course a map of the whole of France. When I get lost I really do get lost!

I have a Garmin Nuvi which I haven't used in years but 'Er Indoors has built-in satnav in the Freelander, but both are out of date by now as it costs an arm and a leg to update. 

Recently in England it was telling me 'turn left' at a T-junction when I could clearly see my hotel 100 yards away on the right... however in June we had to call at a business in Newry, 9 miles from here; when I couldn't find it in the maze of streets I got 'Er Indoors to enter the postcode, whereupon it took us out of the city again. Once I realised it was not just taking us round the ring-road I turned back, right to within 100 yards of the business, but once again it took us right out of Newry.

I asked her to check the postcode whereupon she admitted she'd put our house postcode in by mistake... so they're only as good as the operator... 

+1 for Andy's recommendation of a map. Remember the huge AA Roadmaps that every Motorway Services was full of?

44 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

+1 for Andy's recommendation of a map. Remember the huge AA Roadmaps that every Motorway Services was full of?

Still available, we bought one on a roadtrip to scotland recently as the old one was (a) losing pages rapidly and (b) we are heathen and draw the routes on the pages in pen. That goes back to rallying, then I used 2b pencils, now we use a ballpoint or sharpie. £2.99 in "The Works"

Saying that, I like my tomtom. Think it is the 6000. Came with worldwide mapping and built in SIM card for live traffic. Saved us a fortune in the USA a couple of years ago, it was going to cost £200+ extra for a satnav from the car hire company. This was on a full fat Mustang, which have the same level of trim as an Allegro. UK cars are much better specified. No square wheel though.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

asked her to check the postcode whereupon she admitted she'd put our house postcode in by mistake... so they're only as good as the operator... 

Agree! When programming a mid point on my route a slight difference with the coordinates put in on the opposite side of the road. Being a duel carriage way the nav sat wanted me to do a loop to get to it. As I try to verify my input I spotted it and corrected it to the correct side.

One thing they don't programme in is an allowance for getting lost. I would need at least a margin of 10%. 🤪

You can do that!!!???

When we went up to Barrow (don't ask), we put in the postcode of the hotel and the satnav took us into a supermarket car park and then around and around it until we got out the real paper map and took manual control. It turned out that the hotel and the supermarket shared the same postcode. Coming back I totally failed to reverse to route, prompting the sad instruction "you are going in the wrong direction" honestly.

Having the "Sat Nag" conversation recently. The biggest laugh is still the wife arguing with the sat nav; I`m sat in the passenger seat (her car, but my Sat Nav. I hate driving "her" car) and she is "telling" a bunch of (female) microchips where to go!. Then wondered why I`m sat grinning and trying hard not to burst into laughter!. I`m convinced "they" just cannot help it, when another woman speaks they HAVE to respond.? "last word syndrome". Even the Dog(Bitch) does it. tell her to shut up and she has the last "woof"

Pete

On 25/08/2021 at 09:53, Unkel Kunkel said:

Either use  your SatNav, or your wife, Never both.

Complying with directions from one assertive  female voice is straightforward.

Trying to appease two can only lead to problems.

+1 for that 🤬

On 25/08/2021 at 10:04, Colin Lindsay said:

When we argue I change the language on her sat-nav to Russian or Greek, or something equally exotic. 

We tried English on ours, couldn't understand it at all. In Spanish they talk for too fast for us. So we stick with French - or turn the sound off 😱

On 25/08/2021 at 10:59, Badwolf said:

the hotel and the supermarket shared the same postcode

Entering just a post code in France doesn't work. Take mine for example : 61360

Villes avec pour code postal 61360:

• Ville de Pervenchères : (61360)
  • Pervenchères à une population d'environ 400 habitants
  • Village de Coulimer : (61360)
  • Coulimer à une population d'environ 300 habitants appelés les Coulimerois.
  • Village de Suré : (61360)
  • Suré à une population d'environ 300 habitants appelés les Suréens.
  • Village de Saint-jouin-de-blavou : (61360)
  • Saint-jouin-de-blavou à une population d'environ 300 habitants appelés les Joviniens.
  • Village de Perrière : (61360)
  • Perrière à une population d'environ 300 habitants appelés les Perriérois.
  • Village de Bellavilliers : (61360)
  • Bellavilliers à une population d'environ 200 habitants appelés les Bellavillersois.
  • Village de Chemilli : (61360)
  • Chemilli à une population d'environ 200 habitants
  • Village de Saint-quentin-de-blavou : (61360)
  • Saint-quentin-de-blavou à une population d'environ 100 habitants
  • Village de Montgaudry : (61360)
  • Montgaudry à une population d'environ 100 habitants
  • Village de Vidai : (61360)
  • Vidai à une population d'environ 100 habitants

Have had the lights arrive, bits of trim and alot of little of bits. Waiting on  a glove box and the track rod ends. Not that they will hold me up with all the other bits to do.

Start again saturday. 

Chris will like this:-

So 2005 I am heading for an overnight halt on campground first week of January, en route for Spain, on the D901 Sat Nav says turn left, which we do, only to find we are in some French Farmers gateway!, and faced with the prospect of reversing 32ft of R-V and a twin axle trailer, some 300yds back onto the main road. The route was correct except that from the farm it was an extinguished Rail Line, and NOT a suitable road!. the "proper" road (D75A) was some 750M  beyond the turn given by the Sat Nav. Give the French Farmer his due, after I had unhitched the trailer and turned it and the R-V in his farmyard, he gave me a hand to re-hitch the trailer. Moral NEVER trust a Sat Nav!. I still have my trusty trucker`s atlas. And a selection of Michelin Map`s!.

Pete