Should this be there?

Paulfc

Hi,

The gearbox on my TR6 has a hole drilled into the base of the casing. Obviously(?) a post manufacturing mod, but why? It appears to be two holes drilled overlapping. Can someone please advise me?

Thanks,

Paul

If I understand the location of this extra hole, it's on the left side of the gearbox, close to the oil level/filler plug.

There shouldn't be a hole there.

There can be problems with the breather on these 'boxes.On TRs, there should be a tiny breather hole at the front of the remote gear change casting. On saloons, the breather is on the overdrive unit (or the other way round, I forget). It's possible to combine the wrong gearbox and o/d, ending up with no breather...

So did someone drill a hole to solve a breathing problem? Anyway, the hole should not be there.

Girl

18 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

So did someone drill a hole to solve a breathing problem?

It wouldn't be a very good breather hole as it's on the bottom, judging by the photos. It may, I hope!, be far enough forward that it's into the bell housing part rather than draining the oil out of the box! If so, perhaps the front oil seal had failed and some numpty decided to drain the excess away from the clutch rather than fix the problem.

Thanks guys. It is in the bell housing and definitely not draining oil from the gearbox!

I can carefully insert a screwdriver in for just over 2”. Before I seal it (not sure how yet) I intend to insert a camera and see what I can see 🧐.

Any ideas on how to safely seal it will be most welcome.

as  its in the clutch hsg. i wouldnt worry about it  has someone drilled to attepmt some oiling of the throw out   most odd but no harm will come from the hole 

if youre loosing sleep over it fill with some chemimetal or similar . but its of no consquence youve just got something ....unique  

Pete

Hi Paul,

these boxes do get a lot of torque twisting and other forces so a raggedy hole like that isn't a good thing to have.

You could drill it round and then tap it and insert a short screw.

Roger

12 hours ago, Mathew said:

Why don't you really confuse people and put a push button switch over the hole. Label with " Don't pannic" or push to eject!

Put a small sign beside it that reads 'top'. That'll really confuse them.

Paul - depending on the size you may be able to seal it with a suitable rivet?

4 minutes ago, Paulfc said:

Thanks all.

Colin, it’s too large for a rivet but I’m sure I’ll find a suitable method to seal it. 

Paul

Araldite will do it, did a motorcycle case with it years ago!

never seen that as a remedy for removal but the cross shaft is fixed to the throwout lever by a tapered dowel bolt  these are known to shear and yes without a drilled hole in the lever can be a right pig to extract the broken part and you cant strip the shaft down till the lever is removable  

good read is buckeye trumphs 

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c6dec53b10f25d4edf0b3f7/t/5d01953336ef080001779c4b/1560384820196/Removing+Broken+Clutch+Fork+Pins.pdf

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c6dec53b10f25d4edf0b3f7/t/5d0194e7dd6f4f0001b1f36e/1560384744912/Clutch+Shaft.pdf

Pete