Wide opening adjustable spanner recommendation?

1969Mk3Spitfire

Hi

I have used a short length of old Seat belt type material, wrapped around a short piece of Square section bar before today. If you use 1/2" sq section the sump plug spanner fits perfectly. That was on "Veedet", a "Marinised" BMC ("AorB"?) series engine fitted in a ship`s lifeboat. My current "go to" too is a Chain one which uses the 1/2" drive. I am fortunate to still have a full set of (very) large ring and O/E spanners from early carreer maintaining (very) large machines. My largest O/E is 4-1/2inches!, only 8" long and with a "flogging" End. All my adjustables are by BAHCO

Pete

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

It doesn't work because it wrecks the filter and then the torque doesn't get transferred to the screw thread. Then you have a ghastly mess on your hands. I may not want to re-use the filter but I'd rather its contents stayed inside it until I've disposed of it.

A nightmare scenario, but the canister wouldn't be on that tight in the first place, and how exactly could that have happened? And who changes the canister without a drip tray and oil catch arrangement underneath?

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

For gland (water pump ) pliers, I use Knipex ones. They are a tad expensive, but they do exactly what I need them for. They come in various sizes, which if I remember, 6, 8 & 10" Another option is to use a plumbers adjustable spanner, usually the larger size. They are short handled on purpose, so you can't 'graunch' the job with excessive force.