Noisy Rear End

Eddie

Due to the inclement weather I have had to drive my Herald 13/60 convertible with the roof up, and cannot help noticing that there is a serious "roaring" sound from the area of the diff which gets louder as speed increases.

My first thought is that the diff is worn and I have had a quote to rebuild it :o, but could it be the UJs on the drive shafts?

chances are if it is the diff, unless a bearing is shot, the crownwheel and pinion are worn and a rebuild may help, but may not get it exactly quiet. You may be better off finding a good secondhand one? Goodness knows how many ones I weighed in years ago as nobody ever wanted them. Seems they are a bit harder to find now though. Ho hum.

UJ's unlikely to cause a roar. Best bet is to get the driveshafts disconnected along with the prop, and have a feel of the diff. Worn bearings often feel rough, and catch it soon enough it may be savable. I may be able to point you in the direction of a handy chap in sussex who is good with diffs, he is dropping in a bit later today.

• 2 weeks later...