TSSC MAIN WEBSITE and SHOP UPGRADE - DISCUSSIONS

Badwolf

This thread is for general discussions regarding changes which you might feel are needed to the main TSSC web-site and shop.

Please list your ideas plainly on the other thread which is running in conjunction with this one...

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/8767-tssc-main-website-and-shop-upgrade-suggestions/?tab=comments#comment-126042

that tread is simply to keep all suggestions together and is not for the usual discussion and thread chat, which you can do here.

Your point on postage on the other thread strikes a chord with me; I don't buy from the Club Shop as firstly they won't post items such as paint or oil to me and secondly the postage is amazing.

I know there are 'overheads' and other expenses involved, maybe more than private sellers, but in the last few months I've had brake discs posted from the UK Mainland freepost, a cylinder head for £6.10 and a gearbox for £7.95. Some companies I regularly deal with charge me £5, or else waive the postage.

If I can buy Spitfire or Herald brake discs from reputable sellers at £29 freepost, or £19 plus £9 postage, or £22 plus £7.50 postage (I've just checked my last few receipts to confirm), then to buy discs at £35 from the Club Shop with quite extensive postage added after that makes no economic sense.

I can't find any of the postage rates at present; there doesn't appear to be anything listed or added until you reach checkout, but from previous experience I find it quite expensive.

That's quite confusing, it seems that postage to zones C D & E starts at £42 with no rates for lighter shown at all... even for heavier items, zones A and B are £14 for 10kg and we're a whopping £42? That does need sorted, it smacks of a 'take it or leave it' sort of 'one size fits all rate' and can't be accurate.

some prices are just out with the fairies  eg the giant pumpinator trunnion oiler at £45+ the spout you have to use at +£10

there is a supply and volume in sale prices clubb shop tries to offer good warranty and quality parts not  poor old sh1t from anyone 

any search of garage equipment will find suitable oilers that dont leak for peanuts  but who is there to do any research ???

high % of  markup is the nature of business but for a long time we were suppling  SKF oilers to the shop  for under £10 complete to reduce costs but it didnt get passed  on .

Pete

Are the club exclusively using Royal Mail for carriage when there are more competitive carriers about. I don't know how it works with 'contract rates' for high volume. Maybe it could be possible to piggy back onto something like Amaz*n deliveries. Someone on fleabay does that. I was very surprised when they delivered an item instead of the usual courier companies.

Tom has updated the area venue to show last updated so there is a handle on who hasnt  thats a good start BUT  ..............

this is date conscious   and might reflect recent action     as  i updated mine last month due to a venue change and i got a NEVER so any recent action by those that do will get a NEVER 

if updated pre 27/8

all AOs take note   get in there and update to get a Brownie point 

Pete 

• 1 month later...

i  offered to assist if i can to generate clues photos and descriptions in club shop on line  

Tom has sent me a list to have a stab at so this is underway   it wont be a fast fix but will see what i can help with

so far much of the data is long since departed stock and this needs some understanding as it halves the process if we can dump the obsolete stuff

thats out of my hands but its a needed tidy up ..some how 

so the news is we are now working on a dinosaur data base and  I dont have the answer to this 

Pete

no idea   there must be some snag with the shop payment system data   there has been many stock checks over the past years but no idea how obsolete

is not segregated or dumped  how long since club  marketed a TR7 fuel tank or sold a Diff   something is just  Nuts !!!!

ive asked Tom if he knows  or we have twice the work to do which will be a serious waste of time 

watch this space is all i can advise on progress here    it could be  SLOOOOOW 

Pete

Sooo.... 'Just in time' stock control is not something that the shop subscribes to then. More a case of.... do we list it? Do we have it? Can we find it? What the **** is it? How much is it? Where's Angie? Can we put in through the computer? Sod it - it's been paid for just send it out!!

If we find something we don't recognise, ask Mathew to put it on his forum thread...someone will identify it!!

the problem is the shop operating system does not delete  it stores everything form year dot 

its not a stock take problem  thats all in balance 

gives me a problem as im not going to source photos and text for parts we dont sell now 

i await  Toms view of this peculiarity  as need to make this simpler 

no worries  

Pete

have been tic tacking with Tom and a few things are being banded around  

the RBA Epos also includes parts form the TD Fichetts web list as this is run by Tssc  that explains some odd components on the 1st spread sht.

He thinks the idea of the shop being based on a click and basket from a the already existing parts catalogue is  a sound idea 

so none of this will be an overnight fix   there are thousands of part numbers to check out and now its 

in brochure    not in brochure   ok its elsewhere  options   to iron out     + has photo  hasnt photo    needs photo         Phew  

time to emigrate   ha !

will atempt to keep this as news but its going to be   Slow stuff 

Pete

I checked the Club Shop a few nights ago, a very low range of products; then checked the pdf to the catalogue that you listed in another post and it's totally different. We need to have the same range of products across all, as I'm more often on the Net than trying to locate my catalogue which is lying about somewhere...

Sadly the high cost of postage, plus the restriction of certain items such as paint, still makes it uneconomic for me to buy anything.

• Like 1

After starting a thread about my dodgy engine mounts and doing some research, I found there are polybush EMs for 2000/2500 but not yet for the GT6.

So I admitted defeat and consulted the TSSC catalogue, no engine mounts. Odd as I'm sure I'd seen them in the on-line shop. Had another look on-line and sure enough there they are, but no picture. Phoned HQ and Ange tells me they are a Fitchett's item. Fitchetts have a recurring ad in the Courier and TSSC "look after" Fitchetts, not quite sure what that means. Ange said I could place the order with her and she would place it with Fitchetts or I could go direct to Fitchetts. I thought quicker directly, however Fitchetts on-line don't list GT6 EMs, nor in the 2 page Courier ad.

I consulted the Grand Wizard Lewis, who commented that Fitchetts are V old fashioned and use Rollodex and the EMs may well be in a bin out the back, somewhere.              

Ange had told me she doesn't do TSSC on Fridays, but on Friday I thought "I'll let Ange sort this out!" and placed an order on-line. A day later, today, Saturday, 2 EMs have arrived from Fitchetts!

Weird! How does this system work? There is a lot of sorting out to do in the on-line shop! :o

Doug

I also notice Fitchett's postage for this 0.96Kg package is £3.85. TSSC for a similar weight is £7.

this is a good example of just how intermixed the whole project is 

if you look anywhere on the  http://www.tdfitchett.co.uk/  ( this is run/operated by TSSC  )you wont find any engine mounts  well i couldnt 

so how does the club shop list them when they dont seem to exist but Dougs gets them next day   

Brilliant service if only anyone knew some parts were available 

think Ive   volunteered  for a headache  ..pass the pills please 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Brilliant service if only anyone knew some parts were available 

...and also a brilliant extra would be that if the Club cannot afford to stock all of the parts then a reduced rate with an 'allied' supplier through the Club would be very tempting. It would however need to be a 'realistic' supplier; I posted on the Tips and Tricks section recently about looking for Triumph parts which were NLA, £3.96 and £11 respectively only to find them on another site for 48p and £3. No point in having club discount on an £11 item when you can get it for £3 elsewhere...

the fitchetts website is full of carefully selected parts , certainly its not everything they stock by a long way 

being old school you have to ring them  as their warehouse resembles a 1970 cars parts division 

rows of stillages and a card index system last time i made a visit 

a web presence was needed and a deal done for Tssc to run the scheme for  a smal handling charge 

how parts are selected to be on sale i have no idea 

somewhere in the back room there are cross ref'd parts that seem to be a ghost 

like the illusive engine mounts   

this is going to need a very special understanding  and ive only just started and feel fully out of depth

Pete

Just sitting drinking a coffee and noticed the back page of Courier 496, which is a full page and for the club shop. It carries strap line "ALL the parts you NEED for your Triumph". I'm not sure if this is just 'ad speak', but in view of the parts that many are looking for that are 'no longer available' it is a dangerous slogan as it is obviously untrue. I can see the capitalised word NEED could differentiate between the parts that you want, like or really need, but still, in my view, a phrase that can be misconstrued.

there has been progress the shop has more photos the uploading problem has been sorted so  we are moving in the right direction

there will be work carried out to make a clickable pdf of the parts brochure  its all in hand but no schedule for when 

work carries on behind the scenes to complement all photos with a decent description /informative script     live in hope !!!!

peter   /tom  

• Like 2

The shop has prohibitively high   delivery  charges for certain “Zones”.

e.g. A lead for smart batter charger CNTEK costs £10,

Put in the “basket”  and it notes  its weight = 150gm  (hardly anything at all )

My address comes up ( Isle of Man ) and immediately the carriage charge  is…£45.60!

As much as one  wish to support the club and it’s shop, who in their right mind is going to pay that?

To give some reference regarding charges for deliveries  of other items here:

The other year, I bought a l.5 tonne capacity engine crane ( a very  heavy item by any standards, around 90 kg, I think)

The total carriage / package charge for delivery here was  just £14.95

52 minutes ago, Unkel Kunkel said:

To give some reference regarding charges for deliveries  of other items here:

The other year, I bought a l.5 tonne capacity engine crane ( a very  heavy item by any standards, around 90 kg, I think)

The total carriage / package charge for delivery here was  just £14.95

Lol don't start me off, it'll amuse Doug!! I bought a sheet metal folder from a company in Liverpool recently, they were free delivery to England and Northern Ireland only.... even Scotland and Wales had to pay extra!! However it weighed a ton, but still cost me nothing in carriage costs. 

Here's two examples of how bizarre postage costs can get: a recon cylinder head can reach me for £6.10, but a set of points costs £12.04 postage.

840488117_ScreenShot2021-04-12at20_11_43.jpg.c9938d33d62eb14b7cb156fa7697719e.jpg  postage.jpg.dd3c6a467ffc1ae6aae6ef290f66323e.jpg

I'd be looking to the Club to support members by keeping costs low, but they charge enormous amounts in carriage and it's just not worth it for me.

It isn't a whole lot better here in Germany. I stopped selling on Amazon and I seldom sell on ebay because the fees were making it a loss. When I started getting complaints from customers that they paid 4.99€ for shipping and item only "cost"  3.70€ to send I gave up because I only got 3€ from Amazon...

Luckily there are alternatives!