Interesting bolts

Colin Lindsay

I found these two in a box of assorted bits today; about three and two inches long respectively but no thread for most of the length. They're not Triumph as far as I know; anyone know what they would have been used for? It's possible the shorter one has sheared. Clutch pivot pin in some marque, maybe?

15B046C9-030F-4B38-B1CC-F122EE4BF512_1_105_c.thumb.jpg.986014ddb42bc8cc8c14e21ba67c7f99.jpg  CD93D960-CA20-4C57-985F-DF15CBC01AF3_1_105_c.thumb.jpg.9b4ac73e5ae189622ab9ee95b21cfe24.jpg

Look like timing pins, some engines have a plug you can remove, screw these in and rotate till the pin stops the crank. My puma engine uses a pin like this and a 5mm bar to slot into the cams , it does not matter where the belt is! Once in position you release the tensioner then lock the cam wheels, timing done.

Well here goes:

I think they are Triumph- and they are gearbox parts.

Further, If they  came from the same gearbox it was a “3 synchro” gear box.

The   longer one, I think is  the layshaft retaining bolt which is used on the

“ 3 synchro” gearbox  -but not used on the later  “4 synchro” box. 

Shown here as 106476 in Rimmer Bros.

ECF62942-746A-4E8E-A2A7-A7ADA502EFDC.thumb.jpeg.b1c52d40bf731848053948ca6be81382.jpeg

The shorter one is the reverse gear idler shaft bolt -  106477

One of our members worked in the eng dept of Pacar truck manufacturers here in Melb (Kenworth Daf etc) he organised an evening tour showing their manufacture, a couple of things struck us one the wiring loom was the same whether the truck was 30 or 50 foot long the loom was the same and just bundled up and attached to the chassis, secondly in the test run workshop we were surprised at the number of lock nuts on the floor under the inspection area, it appears they didn't fall off from loose bolts it was where the fitters lost the nuts during the build and they subsequently dislodged, but it didn't initially fill you with confidence.