OIl cooler in Herald

jagnut66

Hi, 

I have just installed and oil cooler in my Herald, whilst a few might think this unnecessary I like to fit them these days to my cars, in an attempt at making them 'motorway-proof'. This is ever since I cooked the oil in a Minor's (non standard 1275) engine on the motorway a few years back and bu*****d the engine.

When I replaced the engine I fitted one and didn't have a problem (with that particular issue) thereafter.

To do this on Hetty I made a plate and fitted it in front of the rad using the horn mounting brackets. I then bolted the horns to the plate, underneath.

Anyway, I believe the kit was intended for a Spitfire, which may explain why I found the hoses to be too short for my application, so I bought some longer MG Midget hoses and these gave me the flexibility I required. 

As a result of this and some other work I've done to Hetty I have a few spares, which can go FREE to anyone willing to collect them from me in Mansfield, Notts.

These are the brand new and unused Spitfire oil cooler hoses, a NOS Spitfire locking petrol cap with keys (found whilst I was trying to find a suitable locking chrome cap for Hetty - unfortunately, whilst very nice aesthetically, it won't fit a Herald) and some unused new rubber water hoses for a Herald (I've since fitted silicone ones bought from the club). All pictured below. I'll also advertise the in the 'for sale' (although they're free) section, if no-one spotting them here wants them.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Triumph Herald oil cooler installation 1.JPG

Triumph Herald oil cooler installation 2.JPG

Triumph spares.JPG

Glad to see that kits nowadays supply properly swaged and threaded connectors.  They used to have push-on ones!

Anyone who needs different lengths hoses, find a shop that caters for your local industrial hydraulic plant, diggers, farm machinery etc.   They will be able to make them, probably while you wait, and for less than a stockist would ask.  Just take the wrong sizes with you and measure the precise length you need before you go.

• Like 1