Greasing water pump (13/60)

Jeffds1360

there hasnt been a greaser on the water pump since  too far back 

later have sealed brgs  if you pump grease in you blow the seal  ...so  quite  pointless 

thats my take on  it  

you just have a drain hole to show if its leaking   which should be at the bottom of the pump 

Pete

• Thanks 1

Early pumps only; if you have a nut on the front pulley, meaning it can be removed and the pump repaired, then there'll be a grease nipple or at least a threaded aperture about 10 o'clock on the body; if you have no nut on the pulley then as Pete says yours is solid state and neither greasable nor repairable.

DSCF1494.jpg.2d77fd125dd698da314c33da64749d7f.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Thank you. Looks like I am solid state, with an ancient owners handbook. :)

Me too I think, I'll need to double check the pump fitted though. The good news is that I can give up the lost cause of trying to get oil into that aperture 😁 

3 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I keep moving my old leaky water pump around the garage thinking I really must get it refurbished as a spare.

Only a water pump!! I seem to have a lot of worn/broken parts waiting to go back on the car following the failure of modern repro parts.

Regards

Paul.

10 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Paul - That is why we never throw anything away. Remember the old saying "One man's junk is another man's rare part....why is my garage full of everybody else's rare parts??"

Yes, and 2 weeks after you finally throw something away . . .Well you know what . . .

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

:) please advise me how to explain that to my wife :(

I was trying to mollify mine recently when, after another Herald purchase, I was able to tell her that anything broken or missing could be replaced almost immediately from the spares pile.

The wheel bearings, brake discs and coollant hoses that arrived today are for another car entirely. :)

• Like 2