Herald sidelight lenses

jagnut66

Hi, 

Unfortunately I recently managed to break one of my sidelight lenses. I sourced a good secondhand replacement but when it arrived I found it was arched, mine are fairly flat.

I've since acquired a couple more, one arched the other flat, I have tried both on Hetty and can't make up my mind which give out better light / are more noticeable.

I do like the arched ones but are they really Herald or Vitesse items (they were sold as being for a Herald), or are both types correct?

For now the flat one is fitted, however I've noticed that, unlike the arched ones, the flatter ones are 'handed' and I seem to have ended up with two drivers side ones...........

I guess I will have to start looking again................

Best wishes,

Mike.

Herald sidelight lenses.JPG

30 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the lense is not handed but the back plate is 

On the flatter type, at least, it's the other way round. The back plate is not handed, just fitted the other way up on the other side, but the lens has a curved top so they're handed.

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

they changed to flat mid life  the arched being the earlier version

So my parents car (very early 1200) likely had the arched lenses but they would require a different base unit. Interesting. However, although I have seen a few lenses, I have yet to see any complete versions of the early 'arched' units for sale. ie: With the base.

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

dont know how the flat is habded

The below are the wrong way round but the picture does allow you to see the 'handing' on the flat lenses that I was on about.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Triumph Herald late sidelights.jpg

New Or Old are identical (13/60-1970 build) as are the Rubber seals. The Lens (Flat) are handed I had a new one from J Paddock, Last week. came without "seperator", I remove this from the "scrap" one and superglued it in place.

IMG_6453.JPG

Pete

All of my Heralds have the peaked lamps; I always remember that Spitfires and the like had the flat. Never saw a plastic version of the small single-bulb units, all mine have been glass but it's the same lens as was used in the late GT6 MK2 reversing light, and the Jaguar E-type too. Lucas L595; if you're buying, buy it as a Herald sidelight and if selling, sell it as a Jaguar reversing light... :)

L595.jpg.89b4acbc5094765be3fef4f2eb50d5a5.jpg

I've got a copy of a brochure for "New from Triumph, the eager new Herald 13/60"

The lenses do seem to be the peak version in he photos.

On my 13/60 they are definitely wrong, it doesn't bother me too much just from time to time I think maybe I should change them. Cost and hassle of getting them from the UK now puts me off. Anyway the car also has the aluminium Vitesse bumpers and a strange bonnet badge into the bargain. 1774571067_photo2Z.JPG.0437705e13ff22ead0ff4fa3999bb5b4.JPG

I have a 1st Nov Reg 68 Mk2 Vitesse which I've owned since 70 & it has the pointed/wedgy twin park/turn len's not flat ie it has the same circular prism  pattern on both park and turn side of the lens. There original lights.

Not flat like Jagnuts,

There's always exceptions, Triumph Parts bin again?

2 hours ago, NonMember said:

The ones in your photo are not really Herald ones - they're Mk3 Spitfire. Two-part plastic lenses and no orange dome inside. The bonnet badge looks like Mk1 2000 or possibly 1300FWD to me.

I haven't investigated the origins of the side lights but did suspect a Spitfire version. Some previous owner had either wanted to upgrade the lights or needed to replace 1 or both and they were cheaper / easier to find at the time.

As for the bonnet badge, I did do a bit of research but didn't get very far. It needed a bit of restoration, I don't want remove it as it gives the car an air of luxury - and there would be 2 holes...

1769779492_Bonnetbadge1.thumb.JPG.182828de17be1116a1c30889cbd7a586.JPG

5 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

There's always exceptions, Triumph Parts bin again?

On 31/08/2021 at 19:28, Pete Lewis said:

they changed to flat mid life  the arched being the earlier version

So who is correct. Or are both correct, there being no definative answer?

Best wishes,

Mike.

3 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Colin : the brochure seems to confirm the first 13/60s had peaked ones

I know, I checked a few of the press photos earlier, they had peaked at the 13/60 launch but the very late cars had flat lenses and I've no clue as to when that started. I'm assuming that meant late 1200s too. Some have, some haven't, some girls will, some girls won't. Someone's bound to know.

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Don't know if this helps but this is mine from a 4/12/70 build

Thanks Jeff. 

It's looking like it's a bit of a grey area. Mine seems to have been given the flat version though.

Generally speaking it looks like peaked = early, flat = late.

But with a bit of 'mix n match' going on to use up surplus stock................

Best wishes,

Mike.