Vitesse 6 "Mk1 vs Mk2"

ahebron

Pete I see you state 82hp for the Strombergs.
I was always aware these had a power increase over the Solex but where did you find that figure?
I have never seen Triumph release anything other 70 for the 6 range.

Thanks
Adrian

Adrian

I've read in the Graham Robson book on the Herald/Vitesse range that the twin Stromberg's on the new manifold gave an increase in power of around 12 to 14 BHP.

I don't think Standard Triumph ever advertised the fact though, the Triumph 2000 range also used the Twin Stromberg's from 1963 onwards so I think it just made sense from a financial point of view to rationalise on the CD150 Stromberg Carburettors?

The Twin Solex unit were never that efficient or reliable, the Air Cleaner and inlet manifold arrangement was always a bit of a compromise and not the most efficient system

Gary     

its printed in a number of places but Triumph never made as song and dancd about it  converted mine soon after rebuilding the solex 

mk1  2 litre manifold and no pcv as that needs a sealed breather and rocker /oil filler 

as a well set up 6 on stoms will give a 2ltr a good run for its money , yes less torque but so much more of a free rever

we also had a 6-3-1 with a single semi sports with a note to die for sweet and on song 

bit of careful work in the std air filters added shallow rams to the intake   she was a flier 

Pete

And if I bothered to look it up I would have found it!
Even Wikipedia mentions it!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Vitesse#Vitesse_2-Litre

I have a pair of brand new bolt on Mikuni HSR42 carbs to have play with on my 6, always got the option of the orginal but tired Stromberg 150s to fall back on.
Might work, might not but will be a bit of fun and can rebuild the Stroms if needed.

Yes the 1600 spins up so much better then the 2 litre

Adrian