Water pump id

cwillst

I have what is claimed to be a MKIV Spitfire 1972. I have learnt over 5 years of ownership that the parts used range wildly across most of the Spitfire models. Mainly MKIV and 1500 models. The engine is a 1300cc dolomite block. The water pump bearing has started to rattle so it will soon fail.  Looking at part diagrams on Rimmers the pump looks suspiciously like a mk3 part no GWP200. It has the metal fixed fan and a grease nipple that I have seen mentioned on a prior post. 

Could you experts please confirm just what is installed?  Any advice on replacement?  The wider diameter pulley version GWP128 is what should be in place. Will fan holes line up if I get that pump and would the pulley still line up?

It looks like the GWP128 part is easier to obtain but that might give me a problem with parts being exchanged.

Thanks for any advice

20210901_120303.jpg

20210901_120347.jpg

That's definitely an early type pump with a Mk3 fan. The good news is that early pumps are serviceable, so it may not actually need to be replaced.

If you fit the later type pump then I'm not sure whether the fan will fit. Certainly the very late pump takes a viscous fan, which is a different mounting.

The important thing is that the pulleys line up so that the belt is not twisted. The larger pulley will simply spin faster, so it's not the size but the protrusion of the pulley that matters.

The GWP200 fits both Herald and Spitfire, the GWP 128 has the larger pulley but I think in the same plane as the other, but something like the GWP 201, for GT6 and Vitesse, won't be suitable. That red band is just paint around the 'lip' and not a spacer, as I first thought.

actually Colin, a larger pulley would turn slower the pulley size was changed because the mk4 has a larger crank pulley, so the water pump was altered to match that. All fans will fit, so no problem there. I believe the greaseable ones were only fitted to mk1-2. the later type is easily available but quality may be hit and miss and there is no exchange but you would need a longer belt. The one you have can be rebuilt with new seal and bearing

10 minutes ago, DanMi said:

actually Colin, a larger pulley would turn slower the pulley size was changed because the mk4 has a larger crank pulley, so the water pump was altered to match that

Yes, you're right!! For some reason I was thinking of a larger pulley spinning more quickly but that's just the outer edge travelling further, which takes longer to go round, not less... apologies!

Its definitely the water pump is it? I say that because its unusual for the bearings to fail because the seal normally starts to leak years beforehand and then the complete unit is replaced rather than going to the trouble of replacing the seal. You could remove the fan belt and run the engine to confirm the rattle is no longer present...

It is the water pump. We used a large screwdriver to listen with. It became noisy enroute to the Shalbourne classic car show. A friend who was a professional mechanic  also listened  and was sure of the problem. Didn't even have to put an ear close to the screwdriver. There is a bigger movement in the bearing than normal. I was surprised that the car made it home without a leak.

I will try your suggestion anyway, it is all good experience.  

Again thanks for the help

• 2 months later...

Just an update.  It was the water pump. I got it off, sent to EP Services who refurbished it within a week. Their service was excellent and they guarantee it for the life of the product.  All is quiet again, well quieter!

Thanks for the advice from all.

• Like 1