The reason you need an annual MOT

Paul H

Local, "Club" members have a sort of "stable" if you like, which they share, of Testing Stations where the operatives are aware of the correct system(s) for Older vehicles. It a valuable resource to have. Just asking "who does your MOT`s," will get you someone who knows what they are about. Most members are still having MOT`s carried out regarless of regulatory changes.

Pete

On 01/09/2021 at 20:36, chrishawley said:

Yup, concur completely about. My GT6 is nearing completion so I had it MOT'd. Given I've done a nut and rebuild I could have supposed that everything would be just so. Errr......

The (old skool) MOT man found;

1) excessive stiffness in steering

2) Locking tabs not turned over on rear hubs

3) Anti roll bar drop link bush fallen out

Not exactly major issues and all quickly fixed. But would have gone unfixed without MOT.

My GT6 passed its MOT this morning with no advisories. The tester was telling me about a GT6 project nearing completion that he'd examined recently - may have been yours, Chris?

Gully

I'm getting to the frustration stage with local MOTs. We have such a backlog here that the waiting time for an appointment is about three months.

I bought my Herald in August but the earliest appointment I can get is October 16th. This means that although I have (I hope!!) rectified all of the faults listed on the fail sheet, I can't use it until then, as it cannot be declared MOT-exempt until it has a valid test on record. If it fails on anything on that date the first available slot for a retest is now mid-December. So, due to no fault of mine, the car is off-road for the first two months of ownership, and might be off the road again for another two months pending a retest, even if it's something simple.

I tried the website a few minutes ago and the only way to check for an earlier test slot, say through a cancellation, is to make another MOT application, by cancelling the existing one - it won't let you make two appointments for the same car. I can't take the chance of cancelling the existing slot in hope of an earlier one, so will just have to stay as is. It seems very unfair that I'm effectively banned from the road until tested, but can't get a test appointment until the system says so.

45 minutes ago, mark powell said:

Can you get it to the mainland for a MOT,  or isn't an English MOT acceptable in NI?  

It might come to that!! It will cost over £300 for the ferry to Scotland but I can have it MOTd over there and that's legal UK-wide. Had it not been such a serious MOT failure I could just have declared it MOT-exempt, but having no MOT at all makes little things like test drives, even bedding the brakes in, much more difficult. I'll be keeping it MOTd anyway, even with the exemption, but it would be nice to be able to drive it before the winter restoration begins in earnest.

The V5 has arrived today - finally - so at least that's one step further on. Now they know who to send the fines to for any future foo-pas on my part... :)

12 minutes ago, PeteH said:

So. Donning my "criminal minds" hat,🕵️‍♀️ the plates from a similar triumph with MOT, could allow "road tests" without incurring the wrath of the APNR operatives.??:ph34r:

Pete.

Are you inciting criminal activity??? Many years ago we used to have a local car (and NOT mine, neither!!) that mysteriously changed colour when MOT was due, it was beige, then brown, then damson... always cost two rivets to repair... :)

This actually happened, Guy I know back in the 80`s, bought 2 indentical old(er) cars. He ran one against the other, when one was due MOT or repair, he merely swapped the plates. With only one on the road at any one time the vin plates where identicaly stamped, the engine he left, the argument being he could get away with having swapped engines, just forgotten to register change to DVLA, as many old cars had. We had swapped engines regularly on Rally Cars! we never told DVLA because next week we could be doing it again!, "borrowing" drive trains was a regular occurance.

Pete.

It happened in the 70's as well Pete one for rallying and one for comfort. Two cars the same colour and everything. They were never used at the same time though.... That would be criminal :) But it worked really well. I knew of others that did the same.

Tony.