Starter motor terminal stripped

cliff.b

The old "Lucas" workshops used to offer "rewind" service, But I understand they are now part of Halfords?. But there are a few Independant "rewind" firms still going, often "back st" workshops or one man bands. the problem will be getting somone recomendable, I would guess?. A quick Google pulls up one in Bedfordshire and another near St Neots?.

Club price High Torque Starters are around £225?. Canley want £55 and a £45 surcharge for what I assume is an Exchange?. (13/60).

Pete

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265288638863?hash=item3dc46f618f:g:xf0AAOSwVQhgU0C4

If you want to take a chance on an 'overhauled' M35J there are a few about; all depends on what the overhaul means - hopefully more than a coat of paint. The motor assemblies of these are all the same, it's just the pinion that changes in some models (make sure you get 9 teeth and not 10, if I've got that the right way round) so if you were confident enough you could buy a cheap one, they start about £8 from that search I've just done, and build one up from two.

10 hours ago, Reg Smeeton said:

Hi Cliff,

Can you add a few washers under the terminal ring so that the nut runs on the good threads higher up the stud, or has it all stripped?

Reg

That was my first idea but unfortunately, the entire thread has been damaged. Presume the nut used was not only wrong material but also incorrect thread.

Right, I don't have much spare time at the moment and what time I do have I would rather spend driving the car instead of working on it.

Consequently, I have decided that a temporary bodge was in order which involved half a brass earthing block and s spare bolt. Seems to work ok 👍 IMG_20210902_140555_305.thumb.jpg.2cb8db5589b185b7e5a4ffb06300abd7.jpg

• Like 2

Yes a man after my own heart! Just keep an eye out for any discolouration from heating.

However in the photo your starter, which appears to be the same model as mine (M35J as Colin says), has the rear bush protruding quite far from the backplate. Mine doesnt do this as I have a cover rivetted to the backplate that retains it, although the shaft does still stick through, and Im not sure if its just a difference in design or something not right with yours... 

31 minutes ago, johny said:

Yes a man after my own heart! Just keep an eye out for any discolouration from heating.

However in the photo your starter, which appears to be the same model as mine (M35J as Colin says), has the rear bush protruding quite far from the backplate. Mine doesnt do this as I have a cover rivetted to the backplate that retains it, although the shaft does still stick through, and Im not sure if its just a difference in design or something not right with yours... 

I felt the connection block while turning the starter and didn't detect any warming whatsoever. It's quite a solid block of metal. £1.67 from Screwfix lol.

Just looked at the starter again and nothing obvious appears to be missing. I will have to take a look at another one to see if there is any difference. It all seems work ok apart from the poor connection.