Refurbished CDS 150

Iain T

On 05/09/2021 at 20:26, Iain T said:

However I do want a pair of the thick heat insulators for a CD/CDS. My insulators have the notch in the centre which I believe is for the later carbs. The carb and inlet manifold barely cover the notch, in fact I had to turn them around as there was air hissing in when I fitted them earlier this week. 

Anyone know where I can buy them

Found a pair of CD/CDS insulators from Mick Dolphin. What a very helpful chap!

Iain

• Like 1

I have to replace one on a Herald later this week, and have a drawer full of replacements... seemingly all different! I know I've bought cheap NOS 150s online in the past, £10 brand new seems too good to miss even for spare parts but it seems that when I want a straight swap, I can't find one... :)

The choke won't go off by pushing the knob alone, you have to run to the engine bay and rotate the cam, so something's out of kilter.

Fitted the new heat insulators from Mick Dolphin. Good fit and tuning the carbs seemed easier, I must have had a small hole on the carb or manifold where air was being sucked it with the emission type insulators. A simple solution but an ar*e to identify!

Iain 

PS

Perhaps that's why I was getting a mixture variation between the two carbs? 

• 2 weeks later...

CD 150 carb`s.

So, Yesterday, was spent cleaning the Garage. With the Motorhome away for some paint repairs, it was one of those "it seems like a good idea". With the Herald on it`s wheels, and pushed into the drive, I had  a right good clear out and clean up of all the crap left from the body work Welding & Filler work. In the process I moved the engine on it`s "trolley" and could get into the lower drawers of the old fileing cabinet that I have not been into for (many) years. And discovered??. A Pair, not just one, of CD150 carb`s. Which have been likely moved through 2 house moves (at least), and once graced "`er inndoors" vitesse 1600. Replaced in the 80`s, when a pair of newer refurbished ones came into my possession, they have lain relatively undisturbed, for nearly 40 years!. Now all I need to do is work out IF any one of them is in better condition that the 50 year old one on the Herald?. In the same drawer are 2 "overhaul kits", 2x7" Sealed beam units. the list goes on. A virtual treasure trove. All Lain forgotten for the last umpteen years, just moved in the Old Filing cabinet.

Pete

• Like 1

On 09/09/2021 at 09:15, Iain T said:

Is the cable liner clamped? 

Cable moves, but the operating cam seems very stiff.

I took a spare carb and replaced the diaphragm, cleaned it all up and oiled, then went to replace the accelerator rod bracket and found that the entire spindle wobbles about in the case. That's that one out, then.

I have a drawer full of spare units, many NOS from different cars of the period, so just need to find a similar one from which I can pinch the body and spindle.

My neighbour, (2 Mercs, Ford Focus, MGB GT, Riley Elf, Mini Clubman.) has a trailer, which he's just sold to a gentleman from Kosovo. The Kosovan lives in London but his car is not ULEZ compliant, he wants to sell it, but nobody wants it.  So he's going trailer it 1700 miles back to Kosovo where he has a buyer. The unforeseen circumstances of saving the planet! :)

Doug

7 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Cable moves, but the operating cam seems very stiff

So is mine, I have a spare cable and should really fit it before I pfaff around with the choke adjustment screw setting. 

Sealing up those air leaks at the gaskets and possibly spindles has made a big improvement on tuning the carbs. Once I've fitted a new kitchen tap I'm off to annoy the locals with a blast down the road and hopefully no brake judder as I've tightened the over loose front wheel hub🤞

Update, what should have taken me an hour to fit the tap (German tap to German tap) has taken all day! Fitting were different so off to plumbers merchants to get adaptor. Bought them but have to cut the old fittings off the 15mm copper pipe. My junior hack saw just kept getting stuck so off to Screwfix to get a pipe cutter. All done but no time (again) for a drive before the roads are clogged☹️

Occupies my days, not in a way I find fulfilling but I hate paying out for things I can do myself! 

5 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

My neighbour, (2 Mercs, Ford Focus, MGB GT, Riley Elf, Mini Clubman.) has a trailer, which he's just sold to a gentleman from Kosovo. The Kosovan lives in London but his car is not ULEZ compliant, he wants to sell it, but nobody wants it.  So he's going trailer it 1700 miles back to Kosovo where he has a buyer. The unforeseen circumstances of saving the planet! :)

Doug

One of tens of thousands similar stories. ULEZ is just a money machine to plug TFLs huge budget deficit. We have just been advised the bus timetable has been revised. TFL are lengthening the time between buses from say 10 minutes to 12-13 minutes. About time, even pre covid the buses were almost empty and thereby consuming huge amounts of nasty diesel and emitting harmful gases. Barmy its all very two faced. 

1 hour ago, johny said:

Looks like we've got to do something

I agree but this new ULEZ is in my opinion over the top. Bus stops around here every 2-300 yards, space them out to make people walk more? Most buses here have always been virtually empty, why run them so frequent, ban private cars (only commercial, taxis allowed) from the centre of London? Lots of minor things can be done rather than this sledge hammer but they wouldn't be a cash cow!