Triumph Spitfire 1300 engine

jagnut66

I have recently acquired a Triumph Spitfire 1300 engine as a 'spare' should the 1200 fail at any time (it was advertised as 'for a Dolomite / Herald / Spitfire').

The 1300 was being offered at to good a price to ignore and seems to be in good 'free' condition. Apparently from an abandoned project.

Images below, I have a side entry inlet manifold for it as well, not pictured.

On inquiring with Canley Classics about their unleaded heads, they confirmed where the engine originated from, via its engine number.

Size-wise it look like it would be a straight swap but before I spend money on an exchange unleaded head for it, can people on here confirm whether this is the case.

Or are there a whole host of modifications that would be needed?.............

(Excepting the exhaust of course, the front pipe fits at a different angle to the 1200s and, if the engine will fit, I might as well get the rest whilst I'm at it)

For example I was hoping, in the event of the 1200s failure, that it fit straight on the existing gearbox, it came with flywheel and clutch attached.

Don't get me wrong, as long as the 1200 continues to function it can remain in place, a spare engine simply gets it back on the road quicker and the 1200 could then be rebuilt at my leasure.

Many thanks, as always, for your input.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Triumph 1300 engine.jpg

Triumph 1300 engine 1.jpg

Triumph 1300 engine 2.jpg

Triumph 1300 engine 3.jpg

You would ned a 13/60 exhaust, certainly front section and possibly a size adaptor (different diameters I think)

You need a carb/carbs and inlet. Again a 13/60 item would be ideal. And you can use the 1200 distributor, not ideal but after 50 years distributors are rather hit and miss.

Gearbox will fit, the only possible issue will be slave cylinder, if your 1200 has a coil spring clutch. 

I think everything else will swap over.

As Clive says, it's "nearly" a drop-in. Gearbox is OK but you'll need different (13/60 type) exhaust, manifolds, carb, possibly clutch slave. I'm not sure about the bits of missing plumbing - the pipe behind the manifold may be different? It probably wouldn't survive being transferred, anyway, given how rusty they often get.

Thanks for your replies.

Inlet manifold and SU carb I have.

So, to summerise, I need a 13/60 exhaust system and that side pipe from the back of the water pump manifold.

The slave cylinder is a maybe, though I would imagine that is readily available from the likes of Rimmers.

I have a new electronic distributor from Accuspark (25D4).

Best wishes,

Mike.

16 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

and why worry about an unleaded head there is more lead memory in whats fitted to serve you well for many thousands of miles 

unless youre tanking it up and the motorways all day 

Noted, though I will confess that I am not the lightest of feet on the accelerator pedal and she will be used on motorways, although not any more often than I have to, for a long journey to see friends, collect spare engines 😉 etc.

So her lead memory may fade quicker than other Heralds.......

Best wishes,

Mike.

I would see how it goes.

I know lots of cars with big mileages that are still fine without hardened seats. 

Now, if you want a "hot" engine, then yes, seats, skim, 3 angle seats and a bit of porting. Shove a better cam in,  and off you go. Could be double the power what your 1200 produces.

I've grown rather fond of my 1200 engine, so the 1300 was a bargain just in case the big or little ends decide to go on me.

Of course, if I have cause to fit the 1300 I may not want to go back.............

Though I may also find in standard form the 1300 isn't that much sprightlier..........

Anyway I'm in the process of collecting the bits to fit a Triumph overdrive box with the column stalk. I saw one fitted to a 1200 at our show and, since mine managed 80 on the way there, I feel it would be a nice option to reduce the RPM and therefore (hopefully) some of the stress on the engine (from my driving style 😉).

To finish that off I saw the word 'Overdrive', in a scripted style, on the back of the earlier Vitesses with this fitted, this would match up with the lettering of the word Herald on my bootlid a treat......... 

Anyway that's for another topic, once I have collected all the bits I need.

Best wishes,

Mike.

46 minutes ago, jagnut66 said:

To finish that off I saw the word 'Overdrive', in a scripted style, on the back of the earlier Vitesses with this fitted, this would match up with the lettering of the word Herald on my bootlid a treat......... 

I must admit it does look very nice and matches the 1200 script very well; not sure if it'll look as good on my 13/60 which is actually going to be overdrive...

1EA8B69A-4751-419A-8CD3-869714FE9956_1_105_c.jpg.70d56d567c33e650b35d3a6d34e95855.jpg

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I must admit it does look very nice and matches the 1200 script very well; not sure if it'll look as good on my 13/60

For a 13/60 you'd want the version that sits behind the rectangular "TRIUMPH" badge and emerges at the bottom.0014035_badge-overdrive622152_550.jpeg

Often listed for TR6 but I'm fairly sure the holes match the 13/60 badges too.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I must admit it does look very nice and matches the 1200 script very well; not sure if it'll look as good on my 13/60 which is actually going to be overdrive...

Well if you decide to go for a later version Colin, I would be interested in the scripted version, so no need to advertise, just let me know.

Best wishes,

Mike.

9 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Now THAT'S nice. Excellent idea... must go look.

A link to rimmers is in my link above (my very badly worded post!) about £18 I think. 

It is also used on the mk2 Vitesse, period/model  correct for a 13/60 OD, it is what the factory would have used. (or maybe did, there was an option for spit engine/OD box on earlier Heralds, but it was expensive and I doubt few if any were sold)

no one has mentioned it but depending on the age of the 1200 it may have the coil spring clutch so that would require the later release bearing as well as the slave cylinder. If it has the later diaphragm then they don't need changing. or you could swop the flywheel and clutch from the 1200 though the later diaphragm is probably better

4 hours ago, clive said:

A link to rimmers is in my link above (my very badly worded post!) about £18 I think. 

It is also used on the mk2 Vitesse, period/model  correct for a 13/60 OD, it is what the factory would have used. (or maybe did, there was an option for spit engine/OD box on earlier Heralds, but it was expensive and I doubt few if any were sold)

James Paddock, £14.75. It's worth a punt... especially when I've other things to buy from them at the same time.