Stud remover.

68vitesse

Bought this to remove cylinder head studs from block, doesn't want to grip unthreaded portion, I was going to reuse the studs. Am I missing something on how to use it or is there a better tool to remove studs without damaging them?.

Perhaps I have just used the two nut method, at the moment tool just seems a waste of money.

Regards

Paul.

IMG_20210909_112314.jpg

Best, IMHO, and designed for the purpose,is a "roller stud extractor".      This looks like a spark plug socket, but has three rollers inside that are forced against the side of a stud by the eccentric bore they sit in.     They are made for individual stud  sizes, so buy the right one, or splash out on a set!

This design spreads the load on the side of the stud, so that the thread is not damaged, and it's easy to position it on a head stud to grasp the shank without damaging that.     This is in constrast to either of the above designs, which will mark and mar any stud.

Beta Tools / Garage Roller Stud Extractor With 1/2" Square Drive -  10mm 8014230638898 | eBay

• Like 1

On 09/09/2021 at 13:40, Pete Lewis said:

get one of these  never fails   best used with a   ratchet or impact wrench 

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/tool-connection-tc3986-impact-stud-extractor/

265DA522-B3E3-41D3-B058-A7B556D5B394-large.jpg

That's what I have in my tool cabinet. It hasn't failed to remove a stud and it hasn't broken - recommended.

Nigel

I use the # 2660 stud extractor. It has always worked for me.  Well, it used to work for me. I lent it to a colleague at work, who managed to break it. It appears that using said extractor in conjunction with a 7lb sledge leads to tears before bedtime. I only had it about 18 years;  hardly bedded in.....

• Like 1