20,000 Mile GT6 Anyone

Gary Flinn

• Gary Flinn changed the title to 20,000 Mile GT6 Anyone

I notice the wheel arch carpets are a very familiar faded chestnut colour. :lol:  Chestnut would not have been the original trim for a blue GT6 I think, more likely for a yellow car.   This is the most difficult bit of the carpet set to replace, so, it hasn't been. Although the cloth seats are correct, where's the head rests? And come to that where's the battery clamp? Front number plate on a a jaunty angle, all makes me suspicious, plus it doesn't fit with the blurb. And it's MOT ran out last month.

Doug

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

I notice the wheel arch carpets are a very familiar faded chestnut colour. :lol:  Chestnut would not have been the original trim for a blue GT6 I think, more likely for a yellow car.   This is the most difficult bit of the carpet set to replace, so, it hasn't been. Although the cloth seats are correct, where's the head rests? And come to that where's the battery clamp? Front number plate on a a jaunty angle, all makes me suspicious, plus it doesn't fit with the blurb. And it's MOT ran out last month.

Doug

Might be very faded black? I've no idea of what the base colour would be, before they dyed it black, but it could be original and just very faded through time. 

19 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Might be very faded black? I've no idea of what the base colour would be, before they dyed it black, but it could be original and just very faded through time. 

I would say faded black, seen original black carpets do similar, and parts kept out teh sun are still black. 

No, that looks a very nice, original motor. I would have it over a restored car anyday. For one, the chassis is not all floppy, and despite age, the cars just feel better (a friend had a 20k odd mk3 spitfire, lovely to drive compared to any other spitfire I have driven.

4 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

But the point is why's all the carpet been changed except the wheel arches? Because it's too difficult. Which tells you what you need to know about the restoration of the rest of the car. Battery clamp? Don't need that!

Doug

I don't think the other carpets have been changed, certainly the tunnel and footwell carpets appear original. The only way to be sure of the original colour of those arches is to find a bit that is covered. I would put money on black... (the load area carpet may have been changed/replaced, it looks a different type of carpet)

6 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Battery clamp? Don't need that!

Doug

If you look carefully, its got a battery clamp - the battery has a "step" near the top and the clamp is on the lower step and not the top of the battery.

You can see the two retaining rods and the end of the clamp protruding at the sides of the battery.

6 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

But the point is why's all the carpet been changed except the wheel arches? Because it's too difficult. Which tells you what you need to know about the restoration of the rest of the car. Battery clamp? Don't need that!

Doug

Other than the boot carpet, all the carpet looks original to me - the pile certainly matches some original carpets I've got.

The gearbox tunnel carpet is a proper moulded one, and other than original Stanpart manufacture ones, the only source of moulded carpets is Newton Commercial and the pile of the carpet in this car is much higher quality than the NC stuff.

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

I suspect you are all trying to wind me up! :lol: 

But tell me, why are the wheel arch carpets faded and nothing else is?

Doug

Would we?

If the load area carpet has been changed, the back of the car may have got sunlight to it? Buy a garage window? Who knows. But the rest of the carpets are certainly NOT newton ones...